IGNORED

Daemon's Gate Question

else

What other systems did this game come out on? From the review on Atari Times:

The plot of the Lynx version of Daemon’s Gate seems to roughly parallel the version found on some other consoles -- the town names are, at least, similar -- but there are also enough differences here that it truly is a distinct title in itself and players will find themselves in truly uncharted territory.

I tried a few google search, but didn't come up with anything....

What other systems did this game come out on? From the review on Atari Times:

The plot of the Lynx version of Daemon’s Gate seems to roughly parallel the version found on some other consoles -- the town names are, at least, similar -- but there are also enough differences here that it truly is a distinct title in itself and players will find themselves in truly uncharted territory.

I tried a few google search, but didn't come up with anything....

I believe there is a PC version, I seem to remember seeing it on some abandonware sites.

Mitch

I referenced that PC article when writing my review for TAT. You'll note the similarity in place names and/or gameplay (to some extent), but other features of the games do seem to differ significantly.

Lynx Daemonsgate is a fun game, but it's clearly not complete, and I've never been able to get past Jornuli Point without experiencing serious game errors. One fun flaw gives players invincibility, but it comes and goes sporadically, and I've never found the trigger. It would have been a huge game if it had been completed, and a welcome addition to the Lynx library. Oh well.

I posted the BIN for my copy of the proto a while back if you want to try in Handy. Save states make exploring easier. :)

I don't know if my copy is the same as the B&C one as I didn't get mine from them and it's on an Atari board not a B&C one. Has anyone dumped their copy of the B&C version to see if it's the same?

Also, I know there is at least one other different version out there as it was recently sold in the marketplace forum.

Mitch

Here's an interesting thread on another forum where someone from the development team made a posting. He talks about some of the problems with the game (towns being too big, etc):

Daemonsgate Discussion

Also a review of the PC version from back in the day:

PC version review

And here I was kind of fired up to give this game a decent go -- but after reading this review and a couple of others I've lost all my enthusiasm.... :(:(:(

Edited by else

David,

I've been playing the game for a few days now, and I feel like and idiot asking this -- but where's the darn map? I press "option 1" at various points and have never had the option to view a map, no matter if I'm talking to someone or not.

Only a couple of things I can think of:

A) the map must be purchased at one of the stores?

B) there a different versions of the game floating around?

BTW, I have the B&C version of the cart. I've been working on making a map on paper, but the game is so huge that it's easy to get lost -- which gets frustrating....

David,

I've been playing the game for a few days now, and I feel like and idiot asking this -- but where's the darn map? I press "option 1" at various points and have never had the option to view a map, no matter if I'm talking to someone or not.

Only a couple of things I can think of:

A) the map must be purchased at one of the stores?

B) there a different versions of the game floating around?

BTW, I have the B&C version of the cart. I've been working on making a map on paper, but the game is so huge that it's easy to get lost -- which gets frustrating....

It's been awhile (read: I'll have to check it out for myself, at home, tonight), but I belive that the map can only be viewed while "roaming" the countryside. When you do access the map, take note of the magnification; the DG map has a built-in zoom function that is very handy, but somewhat confusing.

I purchased my copy of DG several years ago from B&C, too, so I'll assume that all functions will be found in this version of the game. I haven't heard any rumours that a more complete version of DG exists.

Edited by davidcalgary29

I need a copy of this game. I wanted to grab the proto that was for sale here... but I was just too damned slow to pull the trigger. :(

Well, you could always grab the ROM and try it out in Handy. That way you could at least see if it catches your interest enough that you want to purchase it from B&C.

Mitch