IGNORED

XEGS working console only needed

calfranklin

From Best Electronics

XE Game Machine NTSC U.S. Main P.C. Mother Board populated CA200073 $65.00

Thanks for info. Since I have funds already invested in the boxed set, I'm hoping to do the swap (for one of my 800XL consoles) instead of buying a costly replacement. Plus, I believe B&C Computervisions also stocks this part! Who knows, maybe I'll win another "working" console on Ebay. This is how I became the proud owner of this non-working unit! The seller did re-imburse me $20 for parts, but the chip replacement didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know where I can download the service schematics for the XEGS? Cal

From Best Electronics

Thanks for info. Since I have funds already invested in the boxed set, I'm hoping to do the swap (for one of my 800XL consoles) instead of buying a costly replacement. Plus, I believe B&C Computervisions also stocks this part! Who knows, maybe I'll win another "working" console on Ebay. This is how I became the proud owner of this non-working unit! The seller did re-imburse me $20 for parts, but the chip replacement didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know where I can download the service schematics for the XEGS? Cal

For schematics take a look at http://www.dereatari.republika.pl/schematy.htm or http://jsobola.republika.pl/ , you may find some interesting romdumps there as well.

re-atari

From Best Electronics

why is the XE not working, what are the symptoms, what have you done to try and fix it?

Sure that someone on the forums can try and help fix the one you have

Its a semicondutor component issue - I popped in some new ram and even replaced the PIA which has worked 99% of the time for a quick fix, but its still green screening on him and I don't have extra time right now to scope and meter out which external component part(s) have failed... on the board. So Cal is going to tinker around with it a bit.

Curt

From Best Electronics

why is the XE not working, what are the symptoms, what have you done to try and fix it?

Its a semicondutor component issue - I popped in some new ram and even replaced the PIA which has worked 99% of the time for a quick fix, but its still green screening on him and I don't have extra time right now to scope and meter out which external component part(s) have failed... on the board. So Cal is going to tinker around with it a bit.

If you mean by green screening, that the console boots up into Rom/Ram test, Cal might find some advice in post nr. 13 in http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104530

The XL F in question always started up into Rom/Ram test, with erratic results as to which block was defective. Sometimes, but not always, it showed one or both Rom blocks in error, and the Ram blocks in error were erratic. I cured it by swapping a few resistors and capacitors, which strangely enough test measured OK when desoldered. After soldering in brandnew components (they only cost about 75 cents in total) the XL ran steady as a rock. The success rate also depends on his skills with a soldering iron, of course.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

From Best Electronics

I've had both the 64K RAM and PIA chips replaced, but I still only get the green screen. I wish I knew what else to replace to get this unit up and running. I really want to keep it since it's part of a complete boxed XEGS set with matching serial numbers (unit and carton). Does anyone have any further suggestions what I need to do to get this console back online? Thanks, Cal

If you mean by green screening, that the console boots up into Rom/Ram test, Cal might find some advice in post nr. 13 in http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104530

The XL F in question always started up into Rom/Ram test, with erratic results as to which block was defective. Sometimes, but not always, it showed one or both Rom blocks in error, and the Ram blocks in error were erratic. I cured it by swapping a few resistors and capacitors, which strangely enough test measured OK when desoldered. After soldering in brandnew components (they only cost about 75 cents in total) the XL ran steady as a rock. The success rate also depends on his skills with a soldering iron, of course.

re-atari

Which resistors and capacitors should I try to switch around or replace? Could you post a schematic with this information hi-lighted so I could share this info with a work Engineer or I may even try replacing them myself. I've done some light soldering in the workplace, but Curt was kind enough to replace the Ram and PIA chips for me in this unit! I really, really, really want to get this XEGS unit back online since it's part of a complete boxed set! Thanks, Cal

re-atari

Which resistors and capacitors should I try to switch around or replace? Could you post a schematic with this information hi-lighted so I could share this info with a work Engineer or I may even try replacing them myself. I've done some light soldering in the workplace, but Curt was kind enough to replace the Ram and PIA chips for me in this unit! I really, really, really want to get this XEGS unit back online since it's part of a complete boxed set! Thanks, Cal

From your description I think your XE is experiencing a different error than my XL F did. Do you only get a blank green screen, or does the XE start up into the green memory-test screen?

I don't have the schematics for the XEGS, and I see they are not available at the links I posted above. However, if you have a service technician prepared to do the repair for you, he without doubt can use the XE schematic as a general guideline. The XEGS is just an XE with a detached keyboard and a couple of games built in. I'd start by checking the power supply. If it checks out OK, check the mainboard miticulously for dry solder joints and resolder any suspect ones. If that doesn't bring up anything, the desoldering, socketing and swapping of IC's, starting with the 40 pin ones, is inevitable. After that replacing passive components is the only option left. By then you will have a completely rebuilt XEGS :D A bit crude a way to repair stuff, but hey, if it works...

As for my repair of the XL F, I replaced all of the 100 Ohm resistors in the datalines going to the DRAM's (pin 2 and 14), as well as the 8 decoupling caps for the DRAM's. I don't think this will be the cure for your console.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

I desperately need to find a working XEGS console or motherboard to fix my existing XEGS. I would be willing to buy (if the price is right) or trade one of my functional 800XL computers for this device so I can complete my boxed XEGS! Thanks, Cal

I have a working XEGS console I could let go.

Make me reasonable offer + shipping and I'll consider it.