IGNORED

Lynx repair question

blindboy

I just got back from the flea market with a Lynx and have encountered a problem with the display. When the game starts, the images look fine, the backgrounds, etc. but the text that appears (such as "Level 1" or the intro story) is incomplete. Alot of the text is unreadable. I can play the game a little but sometimes it goes to a screen with lines on it. I have cleaned the game contacts with ClassiClean. Any suggestions on how to get this thing playing right?

I just got back from the flea market with a Lynx and have encountered a problem with the display. When the game starts, the images look fine, the backgrounds, etc. but the text that appears (such as "Level 1" or the intro story) is incomplete. Alot of the text is unreadable. I can play the game a little but sometimes it goes to a screen with lines on it. I have cleaned the game contacts with ClassiClean. Any suggestions on how to get this thing playing right?

This sounds like the display connection between the LCD and the Lynx mainboard has some problems. Obviously the game works so the Lynx does not crash. I would probably try to get my hands on a broken Lynx and swap the motherboard from your working Lynx into the non-working one. To open the LDC ribbon cables you need to pull the locking tab up before pulling out the cables.

On the other hand just re-inserting the flat cables (and perhaps cleaning them with alcohol before inserting) could fix the problem.

--

Karri

Thanks for the idea...I cleaned the contacts on the ribbon, which were very dirty, and I think it's a little better. I will try tomorrow to clean everything really well. It's odd because the images look fine, it's only the text over backgrounds that is missing pieces...