IGNORED

Anyone know what unreleased game Amy Hennig worked on?

DEBRO

what a waste of the 7800s power, doing electro cop as a sidebrawler. I was so sure it could do the 3rd person 3d like the lynx. was lynx electrocop the first 3rd person 3d console game?

I don't know much about the 7800's true power but I'm gonna go ahead and say, no it couldn't have been made. With as much action as it had going on at once, not so sure the 7800 could handle that.

Electrocop is a pretty unique game. Idon't think there are many other games out there that can compare with its gameplay. It's not really a 3rd person 3D game like Tomb Raider or Mario 64. Perhaps "Beyond the Forbidden Forrest" for the C64 compares with its "4D" element?

I don't know much about the 7800's true power but I'm gonna go ahead and say, no it couldn't have been made. With as much action as it had going on at once, not so sure the 7800 could handle that.

I think it could be done, but odds of someone tackling it is like zero cause it would be a mofo to program for one and two it would be such a huge game it might need a custom bankswitch do to it's size as I don't see it being able to fit into anything less than 8 megabits.

Electrocop really depends on the Lynx's scaling capabilities and was written with them in mind.

I think we're complaining about something none of us have seen yet. From the two people I chatted with who actually played ELECTROCOP back when it was shown, they were pretty impressed with what had been done with the 7800 version. I quote "Klax was ok, but Electrocop was *&%$ing amazing".

Hopefully it will turn up someday.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update - I chatted to Amy today and she said:

"...but I actually do have some of my original artwork for the game (with examples of the levels mocked up). Unfortunately all my original files are long gone (everything was done on the Atari ST and the Mac), but I do have printouts I could scan in"

and

"Sadly, I don't think there's an existing copy of the game out there, unless the programmer kept one (neither of us worked for Atari; we were both contractors). The game was finished, btw, I think it was just so late in the 7800's life that Atari decided not to publish it. Too bad -- I think it was a pretty good game, for its time."

So I've asked Amy for that scan of the work - so we can see what might have been :)

sTeVE

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks for following up on this; I'm always interested to see works-in-progress on the 7800, particularly game artwork. Too bad the game itself seems to be gone, though. :sad:

Maybe an enterprising 7800 homebrewer can use this information to create their own version of the game.

Here they are with a little intro by Amy:

Looking at these again, I can't remember for the life of me what the premise was - bad guys of every stripe! Ninjas, slimes, mini-tanks, spiders, bullies, soldiers, giant brains, evil doctors ?

But it was a pretty good side-scroller, everything considered. Borrowed a lot of ideas from the NES games of the time for the layout and

artwork.

sTeVE

post-579-1182837793_thumb.jpg

post-579-1182837803_thumb.jpg

post-579-1182837812_thumb.jpg

post-579-1182837820_thumb.jpg

post-579-1182837838_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Thanks for doing this and the artwork is impressive for the system. It gave me an idea what the 7800 was capable of in terms of graphics. I got the impression now, that Double Dragon didn't show what the 7800 could do from a side scrolling stand point.

Edited by 8th lutz

Some very NES-like graphics there. Cool... Looks more like Robocop than Electrocop. I see ED-209 in there...

I thought the same thing. Not what I expected from Electrocop. Almost makes you wonder if she was working on RoboCop and is confusing the two.

John

Some very NES-like graphics there. Cool... Looks more like Robocop than Electrocop. I see ED-209 in there...

I thought the same thing. Not what I expected from Electrocop. Almost makes you wonder if she was working on RoboCop and is confusing the two.

John

This is (IMHO) for sure RoboCop not ElectroCop! :-o Totally new game unearthed, nice :lust:

Thanks for doing this and the artwork is impressive for the system. It gave me an idea what the 7800 was capable of in terms of graphics. I got the impression now, that Double Dragon didn't show what the 7800 could do from a side scrolling stand point.

You don't need Electrocop to prove that. Play Scrapyard Dog and Chuck Norris Missing In Action for an hour and you realize that Double Dragon was a disappointing effort.

That is definitely Electrocop. Why would they have Robocop in wierd futuristic alien-looking levels? That doesn't make much sense to me. Those levels are way to similar to that of Electrocop. It is pretty obvious that the Electrocop took ideas from many Sci-fi movies, and I always thought that some of the characters were heavily based on the looks of Robocop characters.

Oh, and I don't remember any huge evil criminal brain in Robocop. :cool:

Gregory DG, cx2K & Shawn Sr. - it's Electrocop - no maybe, no confusion, it's the 7800 version of Electrocop...

Further from my last email from Amy:

Re: Electrocop - I think Atari had another team working on the Lynx

version simultaneously, but they didn't share anything about that game

with us. That's why there's no real similarity between the games. All

we knew was they wanted a Robocop-ish sidescroller. So we made one!

(with ninjas and giant brains; go figure)

Which serves to explain the Robocop-ishness :)

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

Gregory DG, cx2K & Shawn Sr. - it's Electrocop - no maybe, no confusion, it's the 7800 version of Electrocop...

Re: Electrocop - I think Atari had another team working on the Lynx

version simultaneously, but they didn't share anything about that game

with us. That's why there's no real similarity between the games. All

we knew was they wanted a Robocop-ish sidescroller. So we made one!

(with ninjas and giant brains; go figure)

Which serves to explain the Robocop-ishness :)

sTeVE

Yep, I supose your right :grin:

Anyone else notice that the Ninja's were obviously eventually used...cause...um...aren't those the same ninja sprites used in Ninja Golf? You know..the red and blue ninjas that come after you?

Anyway, yeah it looks very Robo-copish in nature and a total depature from the 3d version done on the Lynx.

It's cool to see these shots as I had only heard about Electrocop for the 7800 but hadn't actually seen any of it yet. Very cool! Jet, make sure to thank Amy for all of us here at AA for getting this artwork together and making is available to show us!

Have you asked her if she remembers the programmer's name?

Yeah, I thought we already knew who it was, but apparently not after checking around online.

Tracking him down may be a clue to whether or not the game still exists!