IGNORED

XF551 Question...

dwhyte

Does anyone know if there is any 3 (or more) sector boot menu for XF551 quad mode? I'd like to convert some of my ss/sd gamefile disks into 360K menus... Something simple like the BIBO arcade menu, or the one I had when I was a wee one written by the friend up the road, just a plain black screen with an antic 2 menu... (If I had the knowledge to write one of my own I would, however I'm not quite of that skill yet...)

Does anyone know if there is any 3 (or more) sector boot menu for XF551 quad mode? I'd like to convert some of my ss/sd gamefile disks into 360K menus... Something simple like the BIBO arcade menu, or the one I had when I was a wee one written by the friend up the road, just a plain black screen with an antic 2 menu... (If I had the knowledge to write one of my own I would, however I'm not quite of that skill yet...)

If there isn't one already existing, it shouldn't be hard to alter one that already supports DD.

XF551 experts out there: Does side 2 of a DS disk on an XF551 just show up as sectors 721-1440 when using SIO to read them, or does the XF551 have a special "switch to the other side of the disk" SIO command?

If there isn't one already existing, it shouldn't be hard to alter one that already supports DD.

XF551 experts out there: Does side 2 of a DS disk on an XF551 just show up as sectors 721-1440 when using SIO to read them, or does the XF551 have a special "switch to the other side of the disk" SIO command?

I was playing around with the BIBO arcade menu earlier this morning... Seems to work fine with a MyDOS disk formatted to 360K (1440 sectors). This was on an emulator by the way. It seemed to work with most games up to sector 800-900... After that the file links aren't handled properly. I also had to move sector 720 of the BIBOArcadeMenu to a safe place, like an empty sector in the 36x range.

OK... After playing around with this for a day this is all I came up with (trying to do an A8 Activision Anthology)... It's still not working right, the files higher up in the sector count don't want to boot properly. Also, I have no means of testing this on a real XF551, so if someone could, that would be muchly appreciated...

Could anyone help me out here? I'd like to get them all to boot. It must be the file links, although I can't seem to figure out how the menu handles them. If it does even at all.

XF551.atr.zip

You might also try "Fender's 3-sector Loader", it doesn't do any bounds checking of the sector-link bytes, so it shouldn't care whether the sector numbers are higher than 720 or not.

Edit: It doesn't work... bummer. Maybe I'll try to find out why not...

Edited by Urchlay

Hello Urchlay

Does side 2 of a DS disk on an XF551 just show up as sectors 721-1440 when using SIO to read them, or does the XF551 have a special "switch to the other side of the disk" SIO command?

It just shows up as sectors 721-1440.

Greetings

Mathy

It´s not a 3 sector one, but it handles nearly all formats (up to 65535 sectors/disc) and should work fine...

MyPicoDos by HiasSoft

Have a look into atarimax-forum for a newer beta. Hias is developing it right now.

Exactly and more than what I was looking for. Thank you pps. I just hope now I'm competent enough to modify the menu to my liking...