IGNORED

lynx repair failed

frenchcat

Hello all the community.

My lynx II had a problem:

When powered on, i had a white screen, or gray (actually depends on the power of the light). When i put the game cart in a special position (not good inserted), i had the "insert game" on the screen. I found this message pretty comforting, even if the system didn't work.

My first attempt was to clean contact on the cartridge port whith alcohol. Next i cleaned the lcd and motherboard flat wires always whith alcohol, but nothing better.

So i took the decision to repair it !

I browse for hours these forums ( :) and found great informations!). I found some post from kerry which seems to be pretty good at repairing!

So i started to suppose i had not enough power, suspecting the Q12 transistor. I tried the earphone to minus power trick. When trying to put my head under the screen of the dismantled system, i saw a white screen (game was inserted). But after a few second, i started to smell this electrical heat. And sure: i have broken something ( i think this time my Q12 is definitively dead).

Now, absolutely nothing works. I have to do the trick to have a screen on. I read the "insert game" message on the screen with the trick, but unable to run a game (which is runnable, tried it on another lynx).

I suspected the system had the ac adaptor inserted in the comlynx or audio, because there was a AC adaptor notice in the package i bought.

But i thought, if suzy and mickey were dead, i couldn't read a insert game message, isn't it ??? :|

Please if someone can help: it would avoid me to start crying... :(

Edited by frenchcat

In my experience, if you see the "insert game" screen, then it's usually one

of three problems: 1) The game isn't fully inserted into the Cartridge slot.,

2) The Cartridge contacts need to be cleaned, or 3) One (or more) of the

Pins in the Cartridge port are bent (This has a tendency to happen when

inserting prototype game boards, when the square edge isn't sanded down.)

Your game works in another lynx, so I'd suggest looking closely at Port Pins,

and carefully bending any back that don't look like they're aligned properlly.

I don't think Mickey and Suzey are dead, because they contin the graphic driver.

It might be some other components on the motherboard that are dead. like the Q12. Look for bad-looking components and replace them with new components.

Edited by per

The headphone ground trick is useful only on Lynxes that don't power up at all.

The INSERT GAME is much more difficult to fix. the flaw may be anywhere. If the decryption process fails for any reason (bad ram, bad cart interface, cold solders on any data/address/control lines etc.) then you get the INSERT GAME message.

--

Karri

But when the game is correctly inserted, i've not the "insert game" message: so, we can think on the right hand, the crc is correclty computed.

A little precision: on the white screen, i have an horizontal gray/black line drawing.

On the other hand, if there was a problem concerning graphic drawing, i wouldn't have a correct insert game displayed.

My game cart connector has been cleared and shows no mis-aligned pin. (BTW does someone know how to dismantle this ***$% connector, cause i had to insert a flat knife within to clear the connector)

I'm very disappointed having not better knowledge than basic electronics :-( . I find it pretty disappointing having this nearly working lynx only for pieces, or selling it for pieces.

But when the game is correctly inserted, i've not the "insert game" message: so, we can think on the right hand, the crc is correclty computed.

A little precision: on the white screen, i have an horizontal gray/black line drawing.

On the other hand, if there was a problem concerning graphic drawing, i wouldn't have a correct insert game displayed.

My game cart connector has been cleared and shows no mis-aligned pin. (BTW does someone know how to dismantle this ***$% connector, cause i had to insert a flat knife within to clear the connector)

I'm very disappointed having not better knowledge than basic electronics :-( . I find it pretty disappointing having this nearly working lynx only for pieces, or selling it for pieces.

You could pry the game a little outward and keep it there with a finger while you apply the power. I have seen a few Lynxes where this works. You could also just put something between the top of the Lynx II and the top edge of the cart to let it stand out som 5 mm or so from the Lynx.

If you get the game going this way the you still have a working Lynx where the connector needs some fixing. It may require re-soldering all the joints and not just cleaning the contacts The MOSFET can be replaced with some small work.

--

Karri

I will try it as soon a si fixed my q12.

Does it matter if i permanently solder a wire between my minus and the headphone pin (apart from having a bypassed and non-working on/off switch) ?

Oh.. By the way: i just want to be sure about that:

What you call the headphone pin is really this solder between the headphone connector and the PCB ? Just like in the picture attached ?

post-12904-1177698892_thumb.jpg