IGNORED

The XL/XE "Wizardy: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord" Flog...

dwhyte

• 3 weeks later...

The chracter faces looks great. I can feel the climat of the game. I confess that I've never played this game. Apple computers were in Poland almost completely unknown. However, after reading this topic and watching screenshots I cannot wait to play this game.

Here is a zip file containing the Apple version of the game and an emulator to play it.

AppleWiz.zip

Just unzip the file and drag the AppleWin folder on your desktop. Theres no installation required.

be sure and set the configuration to Apple IIe in the emulator, or it wont boot any disks...

The wizardry master disk is BOOT.DSK and the SCENARIO disk is SCENARIO.DSK.

got this all free off the web so there shouldnt be any problems posting it here as well..

enjoy..

• 4 months later...

*sniff

an rm -frv * was accidentallty executed in the home folder. :sad:

Lost every source... sound data... gfx data... etc... plus all my music, camera pics, complete romsets for multiple emulators... 'tis a sad day...

Well... I'm not one to quit, so I am now back at square one... Sometime next year guys... have patience...

...and you even took the trouble to set it to verbose mode...

= )

- Leave your system on, do not issue any commands, do not shutdown.

- Use another computer to get a hold of some Mac data recovery/disaster recovery software. Store it on a thumb-drive. You are going to be looking for something with an "undelete" feature.

- Run the software, and hope for the best

There is a package called Boomerang:

http://www.boomdrs.com/macosx/

It seems to be what you need. But it's $200.00

Beware of any DEMO or Shareware data recovery software. Either get something FREEWARE or buy it. A lot of the demos will put you in a situation where you will change the contents of your drive, and be forced to buy their product or risk losing more data... which sux.

So, as I mentioned...DO NOT ISSUE ANY COMMANDS & KEEP THE SYSTEM ON until you get some reliable DR software. If you do this, chances are high that you will recover most of what you lost. If you know what you're doing, kill any non-essential processes, especially those which may make periodic disk updates. Basically, you want to get that DR software AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Be sure to not install it on the system drive, buy a USB thumb-drive, if you don't have one... you will need to set the DR software up on the thumb-drive, on another system, so you reduce the chance of changing the contents of the system drive.

Please post the full version # of the OS that you are using, so we can help you better.

Best of Luck... & I bet that you'll treat rm -rf with a whole lot more caution, in the future!

PS: It's a good habit to make subdirectories on a per-project basis, and store each of those project dirs in /usr/local/src

It pays to get paranoid, the further you get into a programming project... it's a good idea to have a BU (backup) directory somewhere (preferably on a different disk or partition) ... teach yourself to backup at least once an hour... more often, whenever you make significant changes to your code, or create something that would suck to lose.

Oh, yeah, check to see if your editor was set to save a backup file, your asm source could be on the disk in a backup file if you are lucky!

Edited by UNIXcoffee928

...and you even took the trouble to set it to verbose mode...

= )

- Leave your system on, do not issue any commands, do not shutdown.

- Use another computer to get a hold of some Mac data recovery/disaster recovery software. Store it on a thumb-drive. You are going to be looking for something with an "undelete" feature.

- Run the software, and hope for the best

There is a package called Boomerang:

http://www.boomdrs.com/macosx/

It seems to be what you need. But it's $200.00

Beware of any DEMO or Shareware data recovery software. Either get something FREEWARE or buy it. A lot of the demos will put you in a situation where you will change the contents of your drive, and be forced to buy their product or risk losing more data... which sux.

So, as I mentioned...DO NOT ISSUE ANY COMMANDS & KEEP THE SYSTEM ON until you get some reliable DR software. If you do this, chances are high that you will recover most of what you lost. If you know what you're doing, kill any non-essential processes, especially those which may make periodic disk updates. Basically, you want to get that DR software AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Be sure to not install it on the system drive, buy a USB thumb-drive, if you don't have one... you will need to set the DR software up on the thumb-drive, on another system, so you reduce the chance of changing the contents of the system drive.

Please post the full version # of the OS that you are using, so we can help you better.

Best of Luck... & I bet that you'll treat rm -rf with a whole lot more caution, in the future!

PS: It's a good habit to make subdirectories on a per-project basis, and store each of those project dirs in /usr/local/src

It pays to get paranoid, the further you get into a programming project... it's a good idea to have a BU (backup) directory somewhere (preferably on a different disk or partition) ... teach yourself to backup at least once an hour... more often, whenever you make significant changes to your code, or create something that would suck to lose.

Oh, yeah, check to see if your editor was set to save a backup file, your asm source could be on the disk in a backup file if you are lucky!

it was supposed to be an rm -frv binutils* as I was trying to make a cross-compiling toolchain for the m680x0/Coldfire/DragonBall series of processors, but I was tired and careless... Went over to a browser and surfed for a bit, then switched back to my terminal and FREAKED out. I could have thrown that laptop against the wall, I was so mad. Good thing I'm not paid for my coding... That sort of thing could get a guy fired...

And I'll treat rm -rf the same as I always have. I remember in college 10 years ago, did an rm -frv * as root from /

Now that was a piss off... I guess it's a mistake I repeat every decade... I'll watch myself carefully in 2017... lol...

Since then, it was shutdown, the files were overwritten. I managed to save an .atr of binaries, but it was an old one... Like I said, back to square one, this time doing it with the tricks I've picked up since starting it the first time... We will see this game on our beloved 8bit Ataris.

Edited by dwhyte

Since then, it was shutdown, the files were overwritten. I managed to save an .atr of binaries, but it was an old one... Like I said, back to square one, this time doing it with the tricks I've picked up since starting it the first time... We will see this game on our beloved 8bit Ataris.

I have an eighty dollar 300GB USB drive in my closet and an rsync script to sync my home directories to it. I get that out twice a month, plug in the drive, and run the script. It is quick and easy insurance. I'm on no high horse here. I ran for over two years without anything backed up except my music collection. I could have gotten bitten too.

I also keep a tarred up copy of /etc, a list of installed packages, and the installers for anything that didn't come from my distro's repos in my home directory as well. Backing up the OS and distro provided apps is largely unnecessary. I just use the previous listed information to get a clean install that works just like my current broken in one. Any data like d2x-xl's that wants to live someplace stupid like /usr/local/games is symlinked back to my home dir. Basically, backups are much much easier if everything lives in one place. I've mostly recovered from failures before where things I wanted to keep were all over the disk. Trying to remember and find everything was a sweaty deal.

A similar sort of deal works for Windows as well. The only thing you want to do different there is make an image of a patched up OS and all favorite apps and patches for those installed. It just takes too damn long to get a Windows machine just the way you like it otherwise. Then you just keep that and use something like Unison to keep a copy of "Documents and Settings" up to date and DON'T let applications store your photos and whatnot anywhere whacky like a directory buried deep in "Program Files". Again, keep the installers for anything else you installed since you made the image somewhere tidy in your personal directory. If you're feeling extra frisky, export and store a copy of the Registry as well. That is nowhere near as useful as a tarred up /etc for saving your tailored settings but selected bits can be exported and imported into a new install. Using that method, you can install a new disk and have the machine almost exactly like it was within an hour.

You do realize that the Wizardry games were written in Pascal and you could just write a PCode interpreter and replace the native modules to run the original game.

Yeah, and have the crappy Apple graphics and interface? I may have posted it in another thread, but I was switched to converting the C64 version rather than the Apple one. It looks a lot nicer. Basically I want to make my own engine, using Wizardry as the base, that way, in the future I could release my own RPGs for the 8bit, like say an original Dragonlance based adventure, or something totally original...

• 4 months later...

I know I said I'd have it released by the end of last autumn, but this is just a hobby project and factoring in work, family and sleep leaves me with not as much time as I'd like to get this done... Especially after starting things over from scratch after my frak-up on my Macbook (I did have some of the old code on a usb stick though)... Not to mention my almost going to the darkside (the infamous Commodore 128 swap)

There's not a lot of color right now as I've stuck with Mode-F... Some strategically placed PMGs is on my agenda for the next little bit, then after that is the disk layouts (going for a bootdisk rather that DOS file based), and then the code for the disk layouts ... I haven't done anything timing related yet so as it stands, it should work for all you boys with PALs "across the pond", though, that is always subject to change...

No new visual tidbits... I'm thinking I may have to though soon. In the old Atari spirit, if it's not up to everyone else's standards, then there's no point in me releasing it... And by "everyone", I don't mean everyone, just the uber-cool elite atari gurus whose skills far surpass my own, except Shannon he crossed the wrong line...

Edited by dwhyte

• 5 years later...

Did anything ever come of this? I'm new here and I just found this thread. My heart almost stopped when I read dwhyte's catastrophic post of Sat Dec 8, 2007 12:16 AM. In my mind, December 8 will forever be a date which will live in infamy. (Eh? Eh? See what I did there?)

I was also seriously jealous way back that Apple II, IBM and Commodore computers all got their own versions of Wizardry: Proving Grounds. Even Macs got their own version, but not Atari 8-bits. BOO on whoever made that decision! BOO!! It doesn't matter that I've eventually played the many Wizardry games many times on other platforms and emulators, I want Wizardry for the Atari 8-bit.

But it's been over five years since the last post, at least on this thread. Did dwhyte ever finish this? Is he still around? I'd like to thank him for trying to do this, even if he never finished it. Anyone else interested in finishing this?

• 7 years later...