IGNORED

Super Stardust HD

Gabriel

This game looks pretty cool, even though it's YET ANOTHER OMNI-SHOOTER. I guess the PS3 isn't clogged with them (this is only the third one), but since I own a 360 as well and Live has Geometry Wars, Mutant Storm Reloaded, Robotron, Smash TV, and others, the download services seem positively stuffed with this style of game.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone that already owns Geometry Wars, have this game?

I saw it got pretty high reviews, IGN user reviews put it at 9.0.

The video of the game looks very very good, however it looks an awful lot like the gameplay is identical to GW. Is there enough of a difference to justify spending $10 on this game if you already own GW?

This game is actually derived from an Amiga game from over a decade ago.

Holy shit, I was totally addicted Super Stardust back in the day. So this is modernized super deluxe Asteroids?

It could be described as that based on the look.

I never played the original, but yes I believe it is based off an older game. It doesn't appear that many people have this game, in spite of the fact it's very highly rated. Maybe it has too much in common with Geometry Wars, or maybe it's that no one uses the PS3 for anything other than a Blu-Ray player.

It's spiffy.

All of the frantic omni-shooters are pretty similar. Super Stardust HD does feel similar to Geometry Wars, but that's more of a function of what genre it is than any particular similarity.

The main difference with SSHD is a wrapping battlefield, and the most common targets (asteroids) don't actively home in on you as in Geometry Wars. Plus, there are powerups and alternate weapons, which alter gameplay a bit.

After playing it a while, I think I'd say I like Geometry Wars and Blast Factor more, but it's a close contest.

• 1 month later...

I have both Geo Wars and SSHD, they're each great for different reasons. Both have frantic gameplay, but Geo Wars has constantly aggressive enemies while SSHD has more customization and really intense boss battles. Each are visually stunning and great sounding. Honestly to me if you'd like one you'd like the other - both are great shooters.

Edited by MegaManFan

Does anyone that already owns Geometry Wars, have this game?

I think it's completely different, but I'm also into Robotron, Crystal Quest, Mutant Storm, Smash TV, Assault Heroes, Blast Factor, and Nucleus, too. :)

It's worth the cheap price and is the best thing on the PSstore that isn't premium (Tekken, Warhawk) or retro (Wipeout, Q*Bert).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...