IGNORED

Controllers!

MaDDuck

Hey--

I'm about to scare up a 5200 and have some controller questions.

I'm used to the original controller, but the one I have, needs a rebuild, what's that site that sells the rebuild kits? and how well do they work?

Also, how well do the wico ones work, I've never used one before....

Edited by MaDDuck

I think Best Electronics sell them. The Wico 5200 sticks are better than the original sticks, but not quite as good as the CX-40 2600 joystick. Another option is to buy the Redemption adapter from the AA store.

Actually I want to stick with analog! Redemption is no longer available from AA.

How much do the Wico sticks run?

I think Best Electronics sell them. The Wico 5200 sticks are better than the original sticks, but not quite as good as the CX-40 2600 joystick. Another option is to buy the Redemption adapter from the AA store.

Actually I want to stick with analog! Redemption is no longer available from AA.

How much do the Wico sticks run?

Last time I checked, they run about $30-$40. Make sure that if you do get one that it comes with the Y-adapter.

I'm pretty happy with my controllers which I rebuilt with new flex circuits and button pads from best electronics.

The y-adaptor for using Wico sticks still requires that you have a working 5200 controller for the numeric keypad and system buttons(start, pause, reset).

Parts to make your own y-adaptor should be easily purchased at any decent electronics store.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

Hey--

I'm used to the original controller, but the one I have, needs a rebuild, what's that site that sells the rebuild kits? and how well do they work?

Rebuild kits are great and wico's are amazing. I recomend getting both.

Crap, when did that happen? I'm hoping to get around to buying one soon, anyone know if there are discontinued?

I just found this on ePay, maybe cheaper than Best.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220112111832

Actually thats WAY cheaper. Hell of a deal there folks, You best buy them up before they are gone with them being openly advertised here at AA like this and with Adventure 2 driving the prices of 5200 hardware threw the roof.

Actually thats WAY cheaper. Hell of a deal there folks, You best buy them up before they are gone with them being openly advertised here at AA like this and with Adventure 2 driving the prices of 5200 hardware threw the roof.

I think I may hold out and BUY a remanufactured one from Best. It's like what 35-$40?? But it'll last a while.

Anyone here have one of their rebuilds??

I think I may hold out and BUY a remanufactured one from Best. It's like what 35-$40?? But it'll last a while.

I've used there parts and can say they are top notch. Never bought one they fixed up though.

Hey--

I like the feel of the original controllers better than the Wico, but I end up using the Wico anyway, because I'm sick of cleaning my Atari controllers to get them to work.

I also like using the Wico Keypad and the Wico stick combined. Completely bypasses the broken 5200 controllers.

Doug

I will pricematch that deal 100% to any and all Atari Age members. I will also ship out your product with 24 hours or less of item purchase. Please PM me for details! :cool:

Edited by MrRetroGamer

I do, I was too lazy to rebuild mine myself. I just decided to buy the gold circuit rebuilt controllers from Best. I love them! You won't regret buying them at all. Also I do recommend the Wico joysticks with the Y cable also. I usually don't use them, but on some games they are a definite improvement.....

Does anyone know if these are the SAME kits that Best sells (or MrRetroGamer for that matter)? If you believe thier website, Best seems to have gone through a lot of trouble to offer top notch parts and the reviews I've heard from AA members supports this.

Does anyone know if these are the SAME kits that Best sells (or MrRetroGamer for that matter)? If you believe thier website, Best seems to have gone through a lot of trouble to offer top notch parts and the reviews I've heard from AA members supports this.

There is only ONE SOURCE for these particular parts and that is BEST ELECTRONICS. They have the tool and die equipment to manufacture these parts. That being said, it's my opinion that they prefer to not to deal with the small customers - they do have a minimum purchase amount AND charge Priority Shipping WITH required insurance, so infer from that what you will. I offer their parts for sale (and have done so for quite some time) for people who want a more personalized buying experience, who may need extra direction or support with their installation, or have additional questions. Plus, I work with all Atari Age members to give them the best price and best shopping experience possible! :cool:

I used to sell refurb controllers but found that it was not cost effective. People would buy eBay 5200 consoles and complain when their rebuilt controllers did not respond as they had expected. They did not understand that this is due to the way their particular 25 year old console would read the analog inputs from the joystick, and not because of the controller being out of adjustment.

Here is my 2 cents worth, I personally feel that the only controller part you really need to have with the gold dots is the Start/Pause/Reset pad. Everything else is just overkill.

There is only ONE SOURCE for these particular parts and that is BEST ELECTRONICS. They have the tool and die equipment to manufacture these parts. That being said, it's my opinion that they prefer to not to deal with the small customers - they do have a minimum purchase amount AND charge Priority Shipping WITH required insurance, so infer from that what you will. I offer their parts for sale (and have done so for quite some time) for people who want a more personalized buying experience, who may need extra direction or support with their installation, or have additional questions. Plus, I work with all Atari Age members to give them the best price and best shopping experience possible! :cool:

I used to sell refurb controllers but found that it was not cost effective. People would buy eBay 5200 consoles and complain when their rebuilt controllers did not respond as they had expected. They did not understand that this is due to the way their particular 25 year old console would read the analog inputs from the joystick, and not because of the controller being out of adjustment.

Here is my 2 cents worth, I personally feel that the only controller part you really need to have with the gold dots is the Start/Pause/Reset pad. Everything else is just overkill.

Thanks for the info MrR, I didn't know you had those too! What do you charge to ship those?

isn't that kind of missing the numeric keypad? If you're going to rebuil the controller, you should go all out and replace all the parts.

I know when I first got my 5200 sticks, the numeric keypads on them had buttons that would not work...oh and the fire buttons, they didn't work either.... Seeing as they may not be available some day..... I figure going all out and replacing all parts would make it less likely that I would find myself with a problem and no way to fix it.

Edited by Rockin' Kat

While were on it, OSG www.oldschoolgamer.com offers rebuild service for 5200 controllers as well. We do not sell parts for DiY install, so consider MrRetrogamer for those.

OSG offers free estimates once evaluating the controller(s), and controller restorations between $24 and $38 per controller. All controllers are tested in a real 5200, and potentiometers are rebuilt and re-calibrated as necessary. All controllers are throughly playtested, and given a run through with Pete's Test Cart as well, and come with a 90 day warranty.

We've rebuilt more than 50 5200 controllers, and have had 0 returns or complaints on all of them, some going back as far as 4 years. OSG will provide service for and will ship worldwide. and will offer best value and service we can, regardless of whether you are an AA member, a DP member, or not a member at all and just a lurker.

We can be reached toll free at the toll free number on our website, and we accept PayPal, Money Orders, CC's online, and CC's over the phone via our toll free number.

So, that means, for 5200 controllers restoration, people do have some choices. Best Electronics, I would agree with MrRetrogamer that their service for small orders is not exactly attractive. They are a top notch seller, but their shipping and pricing structure favours buying lots, and penalizes buying less. MrRetrogamer himself is definitely the experience leader here with 5200 controllers, and send respect his way for that. OSG is a business solely dedicated to providing technical service for all console games, so if you want your 5200 controllers rebuilt, and your 5200 AV modded, and maybe your PSP repaired, and your XB360 disc read errors fixed, OSG can take care of you.

Choices are good. =)

I bought 2 rebuilt controllers from Best a few years back and have had no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended!

I bought 2 rebuilt controllers from Best a few years back and have had no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended!

I'm leaning REALLY hard this way!!!

Alll I need now is a 2 port'er.....