IGNORED

Hyper-XF with superdos 5.1

Well,

I never really use Super-DOS because of its strange bugs (lots of programs which work ok under Turbo-DOS do not work with Super-DOS, etc.) and its extremely slow ramdisk... Anyway, a Hyper-XF will not be detected as an XF drive anymore, since a) the OS is now different (Hyper-XF-Os instead of XF551 OS) and b) the XF551 "highspeed" is gone (meaning 38,4 kbaud for XF551; Hyper-XF uses ultraspeed with 57,6 kbaud or maybe 76,8 kbaud, much faster than the standard XF551)...

The way ultraspeed is achieved on the Hyper-XF is similar to the US-Doubler, meaning the Hyper-Xf also uses sector skewing - but beware: it differs from USD sector skewing !! So, whenever Super-DOS or any other DOS asks you to use (USD) sector skewing, then answer with "No", since all DOS versions I know, that ask for the use of sector skewing, assume you have an USD, which is not true.

The funny thing about the Hyper-XF is that it uses sector skewing (like the USD or turbo 1050 enhancement), but it reacts (speeds up) to any speeder/driver that is written for ultraspeed-drives (even Happy-drives), as long as these speeders/drivers do not require a track/cache buffer...

Alas, there are some DOS versions and sector copiers which limit the format to 180 kbytes when ultraspeed is used, since all available ultraspeed-drives which were available "then" (Happy, Speedy, US-Doubler, etc. in the 80`s and early 90`s) could max. utilize 180k. Maybe Super-DOS is one of these DOS versions... otherwise try to answer the question "Use sector skewing ?" or "US Skew ?" with NO, when formatting 360kbytes. If it stil does not work, well, then I am out of clues... maybe try another DOS... greetings, -Andreas.

Superdos 5.1 only uses double sided with a normal XF551. any enhancement for the XF, Superdos sees it as a SuperMAX or USD drive.

USD format command includes a sector order. Your XF should format 180K fine at high speed.

Superdos was written to be very similar in size to dos 2.0S and also compatiable with it.

I have the Full Source here somewhere written in Syn Assembler with no comments what so ever.

James

Superdos 5.1 only uses double sided with a normal XF551. any enhancement for the XF, Superdos sees it as a SuperMAX or USD drive.

USD format command includes a sector order. Your XF should format 180K fine at high speed.

Superdos was written to be very similar in size to dos 2.0S and also compatiable with it.

I have the Full Source here somewhere written in Syn Assembler with no comments what so ever.

James

It would grate if someone made a patch for superdos 5.1 to be compatible Hyper-XF.