IGNORED

XEGS

Never heard of an XEGS package without a keyboard. How would you play the packaged Flight Simulator without the keyboard?

I think maybe the keyboard-less XEGSes were only sold in Europe. Of course, if they didn't include a keyboard, they'd probably take out Flight Simulator II as well.

From another site.....

The Atari XE Game System was virtually identical to the Atari 65XE computer. Only the marketing was different. Early versions of the XEGS shipped without a keyboard; the keyboard was available separately. Later, the system was bundled with a keyboard.

Never heard of an XEGS package without a keyboard. How would you play the packaged Flight Simulator without the keyboard?

I think maybe the keyboard-less XEGSes were only sold in Europe. Of course, if they didn't include a keyboard, they'd probably take out Flight Simulator II as well.

The XEGS was sold without a keyboard in some parts of Canada. The first bare XEGS unit that I saw was bundled with Bug Hunt and the light gun; I can't recall if FS2 was in that particular package. Units with keyboards started appearing several months after my first sighting (southern Ontario).

I think that the "computer" package was much more popular, though, and Atari Canada bundled their XEGS units with a few bonus items. The first XEGS I bought was a minty system from Newfoundland, that contained all elements of the "computer" package, plus a 1050 disk drive. The DD fit into a discrete space in the styrofoam molding, so I don't think that this was simply an afterthought, either. The box still had a $249.95 price tag from KMart. :)

Edited by davidcalgary29

The XEGS was sold without a keyboard in some parts of Canada. The first bare XEGS unit that I saw was bundled with Bug Hunt and the light gun; I can't recall if FS2 was in that particular package. Units with keyboards started appearing several months after my first sighting (southern Ontario).

I think that the "computer" package was much more popular, though, and Atari Canada bundled their XEGS units with a few bonus items. The first XEGS I bought was a minty system from Newfoundland, that contained all elements of the "computer" package, plus a 1050 disk drive. The DD fit into a discrete space in the styrofoam molding, so I don't think that this was simply an afterthought, either. The box still had a $249.95 price tag from KMart. :)

Got pics?

Got pics?

I will look for it tonight, but fear it might be at my parents' ranch ("deep storage"). To tell you the truth, when I got it, and saw the disk drive inside, I simply thought "interesting!", grabbed the bare unit, and threw the disk drive and packing materials aside. I just wasn't thinking about packaging in 2002. :sad:

The seller who sold me my unit must have come across a lot of them, as I noted six or seven XEGS auctions from Newfoundland in the succeeding few months. I haven't seen anything for auction from that part of Canada since then, though.

From another site.....

The Atari XE Game System was virtually identical to the Atari 65XE computer. Only the marketing was different. Early versions of the XEGS shipped without a keyboard; the keyboard was available separately. Later, the system was bundled with a keyboard.

In the United States, the XE system was only sold as a set (with keyboard). In fact, I don't think the XE in the U.S. was ever sold without a keyboard.

Internationally, I'm not sure of the time line of keyboard-less units, but I did find a pic of a French unit.

post-1159-1180637267_thumb.jpg