IGNORED

Adventure 2 question

Charlie_

Hi guys. It's been a while since I have posted here.

I've finaly got around to playing some Adventure 2! I'm only putting around on the begginer level so far.

WOW, What a great game. Well done.

I do have a quick question about the KEYS and the color of the KEYS vs the castles they open.

The manual says the keys open castles of like color. Well, the keys color doesn't seem to match the castle for me.

At 1st I thought it was my 8-bit domain video mod. I have the original one that had problems showing the right color in some games. (Remember the lucasarts logo screen in ball balzers? I ordered another mod just a few minutes ago to replace it.) However, I dug out the good old 4 port using RF to do a compare and got the same results.

So, is this normal? Here are some pictures I took with a digital camera where you can see the keys are different colors than the castles.

Left picture is AV mod on my new 37" LCD.The middle pic is using RF and the right is the AV mod on a standard TV.

post-322-1180281774_thumb.jpg

post-322-1180281788_thumb.jpg

post-322-1180282949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chazbeenhad

The keys are colored using anodized plating.

You have obviously been playing your Adventure II so much that the plating in wearing off.

I can't see as you can re-plate the keys yourself, so your only option is to paint your castles to match! :P

The colors are hard to distinguish on my 5200 also.

Honestly...........

I'm color blind and subtle differences like that are impossible for me to discern.

That being said, I'm so used to it, I kept playing and trying keys until it worked.

Now you have a little taste of the hell that is my daily life!

One person mentioned a while ago that he had trouble distinguishing the green and yellow keys. Now, on my 5200 and TV and also on my Atari800win emu on the PC, I can spot the difference. The yellow is more yellow and the green is more green. However, I darkened the green key by 1 luminescence value to try and help it. I suppose it is still too close , maybe I'll tweak that for the A8 release.

The general rule for Adventure II colors has been to keep the sprites as bright as possible to distinguish them against the darker background colors. I brighten the bridge sprite when it is in Kingdom 4 though, because normally it is darker but tended to get washed out in Kingdom 4, so I had to put special code to handle that.

The 5200 is tricky when it comes to colors. For example, it doesn't really have a nice bright red color -- it's red is the value of $34, and if you brighten it to $36 or $38 it starts looking pink, not red. Plus, you get a little shadow from the RF on a TV set, which sometimes makes the image look a little better, and sometimes the bleeding doesn't look so nice. For example -- the magnet is red and has a slightly dark red shadow on a TV screen, making it look like a real hand-held magnet. But it is just a side-effect of color bleed.