IGNORED

Can anyone tell me what this is?

MEGA4

what.jpg

I dug out all of my old Atari ST and 8 bit stiff and set it up and an trying to get re-acquainted with it. Bringing back alot of fond memories from my childhood. ;) But I can't for the life of me figire out what this device is. I got it in a lot of Atari stuff I bought off of e-Bay. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

T

It's what classics said, it's a printer interface. When I got my 800 XL at a garage sale, I also got a printer and it came with that interface. The interface came in a box, which I lost, that had a list of computers printed on it (Commodore 64, Vic 20, IBM), and a check next to Atari.

I guess the company that made the printer also made the interface. Here's the info that was on the printer:

Big Blue

Protecto 312/382-5244

22292 N. Pepper Rd., Barrington, Ill. 60010

what_inside.jpg

Ask and ye shall recieve.

Really curious as to what this is...

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the board contains a Motorola 6805 microcontroller. The same type was used in the old sturdy (and hence heavy) IBM MF2 keyboards. Every single one I have seen (and opened) contained a version with a masked ROM onboard instead of an eprom, though. IBM used these keyboards on their RS6000's and mainframes as well, but the ROM was then specially adapted for the specific keyboard layout. The serial protocol for transferring data to and fro looked to be identical to the PC version of the MF2.

re-atari