IGNORED

'Spider city' by sirius and 'Flash Gordon' By Mastertronic

Playing around with A800win+ recently and a couple of the games in question, it struck me how very similar (if not, the same) the games in the subject thread were

Perhaps 'Flash Gordon' from mastertronic was basically a repackaged version of the game from 'Sirius' (which wasn't much of a game anyway...

I've seen this happen with a space platform game which took place in a space ship (can't remember the name) by Hewston I think on the ST. I then saw a game that was exactly the same (using the same engine) but it was in a spooky castle with skeletons.

Spider City = Flash Gordon on VCS (Sirius = 20th Century Fox) or Flash Gordon = Spider City on XL, depending on which came first.

But I think 20th Century Fox purchased Sirius titles for the 2600

They may have traded Sirius for some A8 games in a larger title swap. A8 Alpha Shield = VCS Spacemaster X-7, and A8 Final Orbit = VCS Earth Dies Screaming. Various 20th C Fox games have been rumoured to exist for the A8 for years, and I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually found them all in some old Sirius exec's basement.

Incidentally, Squish 'em (8-bit) would have been made as The Fall Guy (2600) had it ever been released.

Are you sure? I'm almost certain there were plans for an Atari 8-bit version of The Fall Guy. They're one and the same title then?

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Read the press release for the game. It describes the action of Squish em perfectly. The picture is also that of Squish em.

http://www.atarihq.com/museum/2678/games/misc/fallguy.jpg

Tempest

we'll just have to see about that won't we atarimania....who's up for a small wager?
Check out this Mastertronic A8 release list, compiled by people who actually worked for Mastertronic and kept the company's records.

Atari_Frog is rarely wrong about these things :cool:

Notice those are only the 1.99 releases, Mastertronic released a ton more games than that (not saying flash gordon was one of them)

Well I'm an ass... I looked at the list and thought it looked too short.... then I compared it to the mastertronic games I own and realized this was definitely a foot inserted in mouth moment...

I'll go over here in the corner and shut the hell up about things I know nothing of.

• 8 years later...

Flash Gordon for the Atari doesn't exist. Would've been a fully different game anyway...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

I have hundreds, and hundreds or floppies and stumbled on one that was labeled as Flash Gordon. A8, I run it on the stock Atari 800. Like defender but in a maze. Did you ever find out more about it? Or maybe this is just spider city.

• 7 years later...

I tend to believe Steven Riding, he said he helped do Flash Gordon on the Atari 8 bit so maybe your both correct in some ways.

Zeller

Sirius Software

20th Century Fox

Mastertronic?

all had some form of it.

it is listed on different sites as such, and it's part of some of those 'dodgy' collections people yammer on about.

Mind you there were 'Demo' versions of the game and Complete versions of the game. The box, media, or material might have 'demo' labeled on them.

I'd suspect eventually someone will turn up with a full version Flash Gordon, spider city adventure. It's probably in storage, a basement or hard drive of the people involved. Spider City might be an overseen portion of a broader version of the game, and made as a stand alone. Too bad we won't get the full story now. But like all other things, eventually enough pieces of the tale will come out, and maybe the software itself.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Well, turns out I was wrong, a prototype exists (I guess I'll have to eat my hat). Unfortunately, getting hold of it will probably be impossible now that S. A. Riding passed away.

For the 976th time, the Sirius Software and Mastertronic games are completely different and have absolutely zero connection. This is what S. A. Riding's version would've looked like:

http://gamebase64.com/game.php?id=2799

Edited by www.atarimania.com