IGNORED

how do I make multi programme disks?

mimo

I want to get more than one game per disk, like the Holmesoft disks, but with my choice.

I have Ape, SIO2PC, a 1050 with doubler and Lazer.

How do I go about it, using downloaded .atr images?

Thanks

You'd be way better off using .XEX files and one of the billions of DOS compliant boot menu systems around.

No doubt someone has written a nice one that handles ATRs with >1024 sectors?

could you point me in the right direction?

You'd be way better off using .XEX files and one of the billions of DOS compliant boot menu systems around.

MyPicoDOS by Hiassoft is a good one, it handles MyDOS sub directories and such, allows long file name support (actually stores long filenames in a seperate file). Works great... I haven't found an .XEX that hasn't worked yet for me.

For transfering .XEX files from PC to Atari, I prefer to make a scratch image containing those .XEXs....

dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -C -d d -s 1440 -f s dsdd.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -A -i TheGreatAmericanCrossCountryRoadRace.XEX -o GACCRR.XEX dsdd.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -L dsdd.atr
--- GACCRR  .XEX   177   45089 30-05-2007 13:18:07
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$ls -l dsdd.atr
-rw-r--r-- 1 dwhyte dwhyte 368272 2007-05-30 13:17 dsdd.atr

Then it's just a matter of loading up SpartaDOS or RealDOS on the 8bit, put the scratch image that was created into APE and file copy over to the disk in the 1050 that was formatted ssdd with MyDOS. Or just create the full image and sector copy across with APE to 1050.

dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -C -f a -t m ssed.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -A -i *.XEX -o *.XEX ssed.atr

If you haven't added MyPicoDOS yet, remember to save around 15 sectors or so for it...

Edited by dwhyte

Are you wanting to do this for real floppy disks, floppy-sized ATR images, or humongous ATR images with hundreds of games (in MyDOS subdirectories maybe)?

I want to make real disks to go in my real 1050

MyPicoDOS by Hiassoft is a good one, it handles MyDOS sub directories and such, allows long file name support (actually stores long filenames in a seperate file). Works great... I haven't found an .XEX that hasn't worked yet for me.

For transfering .XEX files from PC to Atari, I prefer to make a scratch image containing those .XEXs....

dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -C -d d -s 1440 -f s dsdd.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -A -i TheGreatAmericanCrossCountryRoadRace.XEX -o GACCRR.XEX dsdd.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -L dsdd.atr
--- GACCRR  .XEX   177   45089 30-05-2007 13:18:07
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$ls -l dsdd.atr
-rw-r--r-- 1 dwhyte dwhyte 368272 2007-05-30 13:17 dsdd.atr

Then it's just a matter of loading up SpartaDOS or RealDOS on the 8bit, put the scratch image that was created in APE and file copy over to the disk in the 1050 that was formatted ssdd with MyDOS. Or just create the full image and sector copy across with APE to 1050.

dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -C -f a -t m ssed.atr
dwhyte@linux-laptop:~$franny -A -i *.XEX -o *.XEX ssed.atr

If you haven't added MyPicoDOS yet, remember to save around 15 sectors or so for it...

Thanks, but I really have not got a clue with command line, linux etc, if it's not drag and drop, I am pretty much stuffed!

I used to use this little utility quite a lot back in the day. Format a blank disk, copy .exe type games to it, and then boot this disk. After booting it, swap it with your game disk, It'll ask you for a title for the disk menu and write a small boot sector program to display a menu. There's a bunch of other ways to do this, but this is probably one of the easier ones and I remember it working quite well for many games :)

Quick_Menu_Maker__19xx____.zip