IGNORED

Best questions to ask when looking to buy an older 7800 on eBay

rwilloug

All,

I'm looking to buy a 7800 and I did some reading in the 7800 FAQ about the various models. What are the best questions to ask a potential eBay seller to make sure they're selling one of the earlier fully 2600 compatible 7800s versus one of the later models? Obviously whether or not it actually has the side expansion port is one question. Is it possible to tell from the outside what year the console was manufactured, since the 1984 models seem to be the most compatible?

Thanks in advance,

rwilloug

There are so few games that are incompatible that I wouldn't really let it be a primary concern. I'd rather have a nice looking and working later model than a beat up earlier version. BTW there's a mod to make the later units fully compatible, if your so inclined. Anyway, if you have a 2600, than just play the two or three incompatible games on that.

One thing to ask is if its been tested with an actual 7800 game. Sometimes the seller will only have 2600 stuff and the unit will work fine with that. However, if the 7800 specific firmware is defective using 2600 cart won't reveal the problem.

Good luck!

I'm looking to buy a 7800 and I did some reading in the 7800 FAQ about the various models. What are the best questions to ask a potential eBay seller to make sure they're selling one of the earlier fully 2600 compatible 7800s versus one of the later models? Obviously whether or not it actually has the side expansion port is one question. Is it possible to tell from the outside what year the console was manufactured, since the 1984 models seem to be the most compatible?

Does the cartridge port have little plastic prongs on either side of the slot? The prongs on the 7800 are smaller and weaker than those on the 2600, and may be prone to breakage. This will not cause problems with most gaves from late in the 2600's run, but will cause annoyance with early carts and with homebrews.

I wouldn't worry about getting an earlier console. My console is one of the latest ones, and it works with everything in my 2600 and 7800 collections.

I'd still ask if it has the port, a blemish, or nothing at all on the side. Earlier models are easier to modify electrically since the ICs within are in sockets versus being soldered directly to the board. If you're good with soldering, though, it really doesn't matter.

From what I hear, most 7800 consoles are compatible with everything anyway. If you get one that's not, ship it back with an explanation and bid on another one. It's worth paying return shipping in that case.

Get yourself a working copy of Robot Tank, though. Also get another Activision game--any title will do besides Robot Tank. Test whatever console you're considering with both carts. If it works with Robot Tank, you're good to go. It may take a little fidgeting around to get Robot Tank to load, but if it loads up and plays at all, then the console should have no compatibility problems.

If you choose a 7800, get hold of Mitch and get yourself a copy of Missing In Action while it's hot.

Also, make sure you know which system the games in the lot are for. Some sellers don't seem to realize there's a difference between 2600 and 7800 games when they're cleaning out the attic. While you're at it, make sure you're getting a power supply--the plug is proprietary.

As for mods, I think there are three or four different ones you have to do to ensure full compatibility.

let me think...

You gotta cut the cartridge port sleeve for Activision and Imagic

You gotta cut the cartridge port itself for TigerVision

You gotta remove an IC from some models for Robot Tank and Starpath games

You gotta install a toggle switch across the Pause switch to act as TV Type for the games (20th Century Fox) that use it.

I think that's it. Did Al find out what was causing issues with Pac-Man Collection and Santa Simon?

You gotta cut the cartridge port sleeve for Activision and Imagic

I've not experienced this problem. Mine plays Activision and Imagic carts just fine. They're a bit tight just like the out-of-spec later Atari brand carts, but will fit. I've considered cutting the sleeve to allow for easier insertion, but since they all work with just a tad more force I just left it alone.

I don't have any Tigervision carts, so they may very well require the mode be done.

I've also noted the tabs on the cart port to open the dust cover of a cartridge are alarmingly small, but I've never had a problem with them. In fact the 7800 carts don't have a dust cover and many of the later 2600 carts have omitted this as well.

If it weren't for these boards, I wouldn't even know that the last model is supposed to be incompatible. I've got 3 7800s, all the last release. They seem to work fine with the usual suspects. I guess I just got lucky. Of course there's still Tigervision carts with the weird tabs inside.

Never really thought Pause/TV Type switch issue shadow460 mentioned. I looked up the Fox games. Here are the ones affected.

Beany Bopper: Pause

Fantastic Voyage: Pause

Fast Eddie: Pause

Flash Gordon: Pause

Porky's: Some difficulty settings

Space Master X-7: Pause

Turmoil: Pause

The most important question to ask--well, more of a statement to make--is that you expect the 7800 to be well packed with bubble wrap, foam, etc., because for some reason they are prone to breakage in the mail. I bought two 7800s on eBay and both were DOA due to defective packaging (two different sellers). I finally got my 7800 on here and it was packed with care and works great. (Thanks diggs130!)

The most important question to ask--well, more of a statement to make--is that you expect the 7800 to be well packed with bubble wrap, foam, etc., because for some reason they are prone to breakage in the mail. I bought two 7800s on eBay and both were DOA due to defective packaging (two different sellers). I finally got my 7800 on here and it was packed with care and works great. (Thanks diggs130!)

I had the same problem!

The brittle-ass plastic will crack too easily.

So a BIG yes on over-packing. You can never use enough bubblewrap!

I had the same problem!

The brittle-ass plastic will crack too easily.

So a BIG yes on over-packing. You can never use enough bubblewrap!

Good point!

I tried to drill a hole in mine recently to accomadate a power connector mod. Well, the stupid thing (bottom piece) cracked almost in half from trying to drill a 1/4" hole. Krazy glue seemed to remedy the probelm, but now it looks like crap. Did atari just use some sh*t plastic to make these or did it just become brittle with age? Doing the same on an old VCS (for RCA jacks) didn't cause any problems.

I've only shipped one 7800 and had no probelms. Take care however as the case seems overly brittle so extra packing may well be in order.

Did you make a pilot hole first? You gotta start small with this kind of plastic. I made the hole for my TV type switch with a #2 Phillips screwdriver.

No, I didn't make a pilot hole. But, I did use a 1/4" bullet tip bit (especially good for plastics) that worked fine for me in older VCS's, a Genesis, a ColecoVision and another 7800. My 7800 case just cracked totally unexpectedly. I guess I'll "step drill" holes on 7800s from now on.