IGNORED

800XL RAM upgrade?

Best Electronics: best-electronics-ca.com/ , phone 408-278-1070 , fax 408-278-1092

Catalog number CB101070 $11-Wizztronics 800XL 256k upgrade board. Also required but not included, but also sold by Best E.; 2 74LSxx i.c.'s which differ depending on which Antic chip you have, so have that Antic chip number ready when ordering, and the ram chips, 6 conductor ribbon cable, 33 ohm resister and double sided 16-pin header. Best sells all the parts needed, but the upgrade for $11 is just the bare board. Also, as I HIGHLY SUGGEST to anyone who orders from Best Electronics, get their $10 catalog too, it's an Atari BIBLE and contains far more than just a catalog; it's a tip book, a pinout diagram book, history book, museum, and much, much more not to mention the THOUSANDS of Atari parts and accessories, lot's of stuff you probably never even knew existed. The whole thing reads like an Atari magazine and is a great item to leave next to your computer, workbench or bathroom magazine rack. EVERY Atari owner NEEDS this book, even if they do not know it! The help I have just given you came from this catalog.

Edited by Gunstar

I just bought one of the wiztronic upgrade boards. It's pretty easy to install. You need to install and solder a header plus 3 or 5 chips on the board depending on wich Antic you have , then it plugs into one of the LS chips and you solder about 6 wires to the PIA Chip. finally Replace the RAM Chips with 256K chips. That's it.

The upgrade is 130Xe compatible.

I purchased 3 of the Wiz upgrades from Best when they still had a few of the assembled upgrades left. They work great and are based on the ICD RamboXL. Since they don't have the jumpers, like the Rambo, for setting it for a 1200XL, I am replacing the Rambo upgrades I have in my 800XL's with the Wiz board and using the Rambo upgrades in my 1200XL's. I'm sure someone can come up with an easy mod to make the Wiz board work in the 1200XL just by looking at the layout of the 2 boards and modding the settings the Rambo jumpers make. I just found it easier since I had 3 Rambo upgrades already to just switch them.

Edited by Guitarman