IGNORED

Ways of cleaning the hardware and software?

Ross PK

I've always cleaned my 800XL with a furniture polish spray (Pledge and Mr Sheen to be precise) and it comes up really good.

But is there a chance that furniture polish could damage the way the hardware looks over time? Because in the instructions for my PS2 and Dreamcast it says do not use furniture polish or something and that you should just clean them with a damp cloth. Does it saying anything like this in the 800XL instructions?

As for my carts I've used furniture polish too but not on the labels, although on the 2600 forum there's someone who covers the labels with just a mist of polish and then wipes them immediatley.

With the cassette cases I use WD40 to get rid of any residue from price stickers, but doesn't really bring them up looking shiny and new, maybe polish would be good for doing that but I can't even remember if I've ever done that though.

How do you guys clean your A8 stuff?

Edited by Ross PK

Mr Sheen is fairly generic, so is probably formulated so not to be detrimental to synthetics and plastics.

I suppose you could even try Armour All - that is if you can stand the slippery surface it tends to create on certain materials.

I generally wipe down the outside of the Atari with a (not very) damp paper towel. Not a big fan of furniture polish, even for furniture... If I get hold of some *really* dirty hardware, I'll disassemble it and wash the case in the sink with dish soap. Some people put them through the dishwasher, which I have done with an Atari 7800 case and several old IBM keyboards, but not any A8 stuff.

If I were going to remove price-tag sticker residue, I'd probably use a drop of Goo Gone instead of WD40. Have also used Goo Gone on a 1200XL case with good results. Sadly, it couldn't remove the stain on the bottom of the case, which I'm pretty sure is a cigarette burn (will have to paint the case, to get rid of that).

Wish I had one of those little vacuum cleaners like in the movie Gattaca, for cleaning out keyboards. Instead, I make sure my hands are clean and dry before typing, and so far haven't developed nasty keyboard syndrome on any of my A8's (I've just noticed the same can't be said of the PC keyboard I'm typing this with, though... ugh)

^ Do you not have a hose and a brush attatchment on your vaccum cleaner?

My PC keyboard is pretty bad too.

You've just reminded me, with the A8 I'll spray a bit of polish on an old toothbrush and clean inbetween the keys with it.

Edited by Ross PK

For computers that are not too yellow a good plastic cleaner such as Novus: http://www.delviesplastics.com/waxes_cleaners_novus.htm

Would do the trick keeping in mind that it does remove a thin layer off the plastic. What I have found the best way is to use Krylon plastic paint after. I just did an 800 XL, using the thinnest coating possible, looks like a million bucks, i'm going to be posting pictures soon. i did post a thread abot a power supply i restored, before and after:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...104577&st=0