IGNORED

Can anybody help me?

formyDad

UPDATE - Thank you all so much for your interest! I think that I have found the right person to take everything. So at this point I will not be posting pictures or itemizing. If anything goes wrong with this arrangement then I will return with further details.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I didn't want to throw anything out and am happy for my Dad's sake that it is going to a real Atari freak!

Hello Atari users!

I am hoping someone can help me out here...

My Dad was a total Atari enthusiast back in the 80's and early 90's. He finally got too old to use his Atari, he lost his eyesight and it became too difficult for him. He passed away on April 21st this year, he would have been 97 on May 25th.

He has left behind a HUGE amount of Atari hardware and software. I have no idea what we have here but it takes up about 1/4 of a two car garage. The basic system is an Atari 800XL.

Anyway, I just have no idea what to do with all this stuff (sorry, I am a little technologically challenged at the best of times and especially with Atari). Please give me some advice if you have any. I absolutely cannot throw anything away for two reasons. 1. My Dad was a real packrat and it pained him to throw anything away that might be of use. 2. He specifically listed the Atari computer etc as belonging to the trust of which I am now the trustee so I have a responsibility to do the best thing I can with this stuff which does not include tossing it.

This is located in southern California, about 50 miles north of Los Angeles. I would be very happy to give it all away for free to someone who would enjoy having it.

Please give me some feedback on this. I am kind of in a hurry as the house sold a little quicker than I anticipated.

THANK YOU!

Edited by formyDad

I moved this to the 8bit section where more folks may see it - Sorry to hear we lost a big 8bit fan :( - There was a similar post and someone was found to pick up the stuff - hopefully we can find someone else to put your dads stuff to good use once again.

Do you have any pictures of the gear?

OK - thanks for a great idea! Not yet, but I will do that today. Sorry to be so clueless, but I have to ask can I post the pictures here or would I need to email them to anyone interested? Anyway, pictures will be available later today.

Well, that is good you are obliged not to throw it all away, becuase it is a part of history and is worth something to some, you should not have too much trouble finding someone nearby to take it off of your hands and to be given proper care. I'd accept it all myself if I wasn't all the way in over in Texas. The stuff deserves to be taken care of and on proper display and/or use in someone's collection. They grow rarer everyday due to people just tossing them and being lost forever in a landfill somewhere.

UPDATE - Thank you all so much for your interest! I think that I have found the right person to take everything. So at this point I will not be posting pictures or itemizing. If anything goes wrong with this arrangement then I will return with further details.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I didn't want to throw anything out and am happy for my Dad's sake that it is going to a real Atari freak!

LOL!!! I think I need to change my user name!!

Here are a couple of pics I got from the owners of this Atari collection. Dolce (formyDad) was able to get the stuff to his sister, who lives closer to me, so I will be heading to pick it all up in about a week. I will be sure to post a more detailed list of what is here, but as you can see, there is a lot!! Thanks again to Dolce and his sister. This collection will be well cared for in the Atari community.

Just the first row of boxes is what is being acquired.

post-6701-1181672452_thumb.jpg

post-6701-1181672477_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pics I got from the owners of this Atari collection. Dolce (formyDad) was able to get the stuff to his sister, who lives closer to me, so I will be heading to pick it all up in about a week. I will be sure to post a more detailed list of what is here, but as you can see, there is a lot!! Thanks again to Dolce and his sister. This collection will be well cared for in the Atari community.

Looks like you will have to extend your tagline a bit in order to squeeze in all of this stuff :) Good to see it rescued from the scrapheap, though.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear we lost an Atari collector. There's definitely not so many we can afford to loose one. But maybe a wayward daughter coming home will kinda make up for it. I got over my Atari fever some twenty years ago now, but over the last few weeks it seems I have relasped. Not knowing a better place to reacquire Atari equipment I have been scouring ebay for likely items. That tale is told in another topic. I just wanted to let it be known Guitarman if you need a place for some OSS Basic XE|Mac\65 carts to live out their golden years, I would be happy to recapture the old thrill of programing on the 800XL/130XE. :love:

I really gotta get a good tag line ;-)

Just the first row of boxes is what is being acquired.

post-6701-1181672452_thumb.jpg

post-6701-1181672477_thumb.jpg

Guitarman:

I was happy to see your pictures but just so you know, I am not a "him" I am a "her"!! :)

I really am ecstatic that people will be able to enjoy this as much (or maybe almost as much) as my Dad did. It is a LOT of stuff.

Thanks everybody,

Dulcie (formyDad)

Guitarman:

I was happy to see your pictures but just so you know, I am not a "him" I am a "her"!! :)

I really am ecstatic that people will be able to enjoy this as much (or maybe almost as much) as my Dad did. It is a LOT of stuff.

Thanks everybody,

Dulcie (formyDad)

OK!!! Now I am as red as a tomato!!!!! BUT...... in my defense.....we never spoke on the phone. My apologies!!! I must go sink in the corner now!!!! LOL

Apologies for hijacking this thread...

Guitarman, I was wondering if you got my e-mail (I can't send PM's right now as they'll crash my computer). Do you think you could dump Preparing for the SAT by PDI for us? Many thanks!

Shawn, I'll get back to you by e-mail as well!

Sorry for the inconvenience...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Apologies for hijacking this thread...

Guitarman, I was wondering if you got my e-mail (I can't send PM's right now as they'll crash my computer). Do you think you could dump Preparing for the SAT by PDI for us? Many thanks!

Shawn, I'll get back to you by e-mail as well!

Sorry for the inconvenience...

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

E-mail sent.

Now.....back to our regularly scheduled program.......

Well, I made the drive to Vacaville last night and picked up the collection. Claire, Dulcie's sister, and her husband went way beyond the mark in hospitality!! I expected to drive up, load the truck, share some memories and leave. After over 2 hour and a plate of home cooked ribs, I finally got back on the road home, which I arrived back at 2:30am!! They were extremely nice and generous and made a point to try and get together again soon. As for the collection, I poked my head in 3 or 4 boxes to get an idea of what was here. What an amazing diary of stuff in the life of an avid Atari user. There are many binders of hand written programming and hardware notes. It looks like he programmed in no less than 5-6 Atari languages. I can only hope to find any programs he did that can be posted for everyone's use. It would be a great legacy. He knew his hardware too. I was told that he was a key player in the development of radar in the WW2 era. He built his own electronic test equipment, which I saw many of. I know of at least 1 of the 800XL's that has been carefully modded with multiple OS', Rambo upgrade and Basic RevC. I saw 1 Indus GT drive and was excited. Imagine after looking in only 3 boxes, I had come across 3 more!! Both Dulcie and Claire are excited that their Dad's legacy will live on in other Atari collectors homes. I will obviously keep what is needed to fill holes in my collection but will be cataloging all the extras and will make sure they get into the hands of other avid collectors here on Atariage. Gotta spread the love!! Stay tuned. And..........

Dulcie and Claire......Thank you!!!!

Edited by Guitarman

Well, got the boxes unpacked. Some really cool stuff in here!!! He was heavy into programming, so there are many different programming languages. I looked up some of the software on Atarimania and there are quite a few listed as rareity 7 and up. There is "The Pill" software by CSS as well as the Super Pill cartridge for backing up carts to disk, Monkey Wrench II XL cart, the full OSS language set with toolbox disks, 1050 with US Doubler and Super Archiver II, another 1050 with US Doubler, 3 Indus GT drives, a XF551 which, I think, has the CSS XF Update and much more. As far as computers, there are 4 800XL's and 1 600XL. There is more software than can be gone through in 1 evening but I did get all boxed or commercial software seperated from the homemade disks.

Atarimania,

There is a large amount of the software in the collection you are missing either the media image/dump or you do not have listed at all. I will get you a list of what's here.

I have to go down to Long Beach this weekend to get the 3rd of 3 collections but will get some pics posted after I get back.

Edited by Guitarman