IGNORED

ATLANTIS II

ItsAtariTime

I couldn't tell you...but I plan on staying clear of unknown, low feedback sellers. Especially on high priced items.

Maybe Albert or CPUWIZ can establish a sticky thread or subtopic where the more knowledgable, experienced Atari Agers can give input on the history and/or authenticity of Atari items priced over $500 or if the seller is legit? Just something to chew on.

OK..first the Pepsi Invaders.. Now Atlantis II?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Atlantis-2-cartridge-f...1QQcmdZViewItem

How can we tell if this is real?

The fonts on the bottom should give it away. It could also be a reproduction. Who knows, with a rep like that guy has...next to none who f**kin knows.

How could you tell if it is one of Shawns Repro's with an Atlantis label? Seems way to easy to fake..unless Shawn made changes to the play field or fonts.

How can you tell without opening the cart? :ponder:

The fonts on the bottom should give it away. It could also be a reproduction. Who knows, with a rep like that guy has...next to none who f**kin knows.

How could you tell if it is one of Shawns Repro's with an Atlantis label? Seems way to easy to fake..unless Shawn made changes to the play field or fonts.

What makes you think Shawn would do such a thing?

You got to weigh it in person. A photo doesn't mean much. Shawn wouldn't put a real label on it, but it's not to say anyone that buys it off him could and it wouldn't be his fault. He wouldn't do it himself though so leave him out of it.

The more i think of it the more dangerous I think it is to keep making Repros of already released games. Whats to stop someone from taking the board from the repro and sticking it inside a regular Atlantis cart? All i want in my collection are the fun games that i grew up with.

Too many Atari reproductions are sold. Many of these reproductions are being bought for high dollar amounts by people who think that they are buying rare items. I have been told by several people that they don't buy from one well known power seller because he sells so many reproductions that they don't have faith that anything that he sells is original.

By the way, I was contacted last month by someone in Alabama claiming to have an Atlantis II. I wouldn't be real surprised to see another one in the marketplace soon as the guy who contacted me wanted to sell his. He was going to check at this parent's house to see if he had any of the items that came with Atlantis II.

You guys really need to educate yourself about making reproductions, you can't just stick a normal AA board inside a Imagic shell. And no, you can't just take the chip from the repro and stick it inside the Imagic board, you really need to know what you are doing.

Whats to stop someone from taking the board from the repro and sticking it inside a regular Atlantis cart?

Absolutely nothing. That being said it's one of the reasons I like collecting the pirates no one ever gives a ratts ass about. They are sometimes pretty damn rare, but not pretty damn pricey so why would anyone bother making fakes of them? When you start getting into the money carts thats when you'll get into the fakes. Why fake a grey Hangman when a fake Quadrun will bring XXX more dollars??

You guys really need to educate yourself about making reproductions, you can't just stick a normal AA board inside a Imagic shell. And no, you can't just take the chip from the repro and stick it inside the Imagic board, you really need to know what you are doing.

Well Shawn was able to do it. He made a label that had Atlantis II on it, but it was in an Imagic shell. If you swapped the labels you wouldn't be able to tell from the front. The chips would look different of course, but from a front shot you wouldn't be able to tell. You would know in person right away.

Too many Atari reproductions are sold. Many of these reproductions are being bought for high dollar amounts by people who think that they are buying rare items. I have been told by several people that they don't buy from one well known power seller because he sells so many reproductions that they don't have faith that anything that he sells is original.

By the way, I was contacted last month by someone in Alabama claiming to have an Atlantis II. I wouldn't be real surprised to see another one in the marketplace soon as the guy who contacted me wanted to sell his. He was going to check at this parent's house to see if he had any of the items that came with Atlantis II.

Excuse me, but who has up a Rescue in Bowsers Castle with the title ULTRA RARE......Did not Shawn Sr. make this? Kind of Ironic of what you are saying........I have a good idea who the power seller is you are talking about. Its pretty crazy because i have always been honest about what i have sold. I have a few people that have purchased from me on ebay that now just buy from me outside ebay. Anyway i am pretty tired and stressed right now so I will end it here.

Edited by Atarimania75

Well Shawn was able to do it. He made a label that had Atlantis II on it, but it was in an Imagic shell. If you swapped the labels you wouldn't be able to tell from the front. The chips would look different of course, but from a front shot you wouldn't be able to tell. You would know in person right away.

I could make you a Atlantis II cart, that not even the "experts" around here could identify, and yes, you could even open it and post pics of it. You could weigh it, smell it, lick it and you wouldn't know.

That wasn't the point.

Aren't you guys glad that I have not joined the "dark-side"?

Whats to stop someone from taking the board from the repro and sticking it inside a regular Atlantis cart?

Absolutely nothing. That being said it's one of the reasons I like collecting the pirates no one ever gives a ratts ass about. They are sometimes pretty damn rare, but not pretty damn pricey so why would anyone bother making fakes of them? When you start getting into the money carts thats when you'll get into the fakes. Why fake a grey Hangman when a fake Quadrun will bring XXX more dollars??

I understand why someone would want repros but why an Atlantis II repro??? The only thing that is different is the single digit scoring correct??? What would be so exciting about that? Its not the original so i just don't get it. I kind of lost interest in Pepsi Invaders because of that........its just a shitty game of Space Invaders that ends too soon. Now Ewok, and other repros i can see the reason for. Atlantis II was pretty much the one repro i was never interested in ever seeing i don't see any point for it. Its not the original and its no different from Atlantis.

I could make you a Atlantis II cart, that not even the "experts" around here could identify, and yes, you could even open it and post pics of it. You could weigh it, smell it, lick it and you wouldn't know.

That wasn't the point.

Marco did. He's been collecting PAL for years.

That wasn't the point.

Marco did. He's been collecting PAL for years.

:lolblue:

To many red flags here

Low feed back, only accepts Money Order or check

Account was opened in 2002 but only two transactions since 2005, both in March of this year

Not sure what to think of this either

The last item the seller has purchased, 22,000 Pontiac from a guy with a 6 feedback using a BIN

also an account opened in 2000 but no activity since may of last year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=190098885927

Also whats with the screen shot I only see a score were is the rest of the screen display ?

In looking at his auction listing, I see two different font types being used in the description, which to me indicates he cut'n'pasted some of his text from another source. Granted it could be from something legitimate, like writing up the auction description in MS Word and then pasting that text in, but as with all things on eBay, caveat emptor.

What makes you think Shawn would do such a thing?

I didn't say Shawn would have switched the labels.. I know he wouldn't do that...

But could someone else? Who knows.. Low Feedback.. given as a promo thing to him...

I think if he was given the cart...he would remember why he got it..and not just as a promo thing..

I am just curious if there is a way to prove if a label was replaced.

Edited by ItsAtariTime