IGNORED

SIO2USB - what can it do for me?

yorgle

Please forgive my ignorance, but along with my 800xl I impulsively purchased an APE SIO2USB Prosystem unit on ebay. I understand that it will allow me to transfer files from my PC to my 800xl via USB cable, but will it also allow me to store/retrieve files from a USB flashdrive plugged into it?

If the USB drive is plugged into the PC as well as the SIO2USB, then the APE software should be able to use the USB drive as a source for the Atari. But, no, you can't plug USB flash drives into the Atari... at least not with this interface.

Rats. Thanks for the info. Still a great piece of hardware, though.

To use USB flash drives you have to use this device: http://home.arcor.de/grasel/sio2usb_e.htm

Lesson learned- do homework before buying.

Just for clarification, what you purchased is called a SIO2PC, not SIO2USB, which is the device Philsan pointed you to. It comes in both a serial version and the new USB version. SIO2PC is strictly for attaching your Atari to a PC and using the PC as your drives, printer, modem and so on. The USB is only for making the connection to the PC. APE is the software used with SIO2PC. Atarimax is the maker (user Classics here on AA).

SIO2IDE, SIO2USB, SIO2SD, MyIDE and others are great for using various different media with the PC and all have a great place is the scheme of things, but SIO2PC is practically a must for manipulating and utilizing all the disk images available for the Atari. Not to forget printing to your PC printer and using your PC modem and network connection. It is also the best (IMHO) method for archiving any disks you might have.

Edited by Guitarman

To use USB flash drives you have to use this device: http://home.arcor.de/grasel/sio2usb_e.htm

Just for clarification, what you purchased is called a SIO2PC, not SIO2USB, which is the device Philsan pointed you to. It comes in both a serial version and the new USB version. SIO2PC is strictly for attaching your Atari to a PC and using the PC as your drives, printer, modem and so on. The USB is only for making the connection to the PC. APE is the software used with SIO2PC. Atarimax is the maker (user Classics here on AA).

SIO2IDE, SIO2USB, SIO2SD, MyIDE and others are great for using various different media with the PC and all have a great place is the scheme of things, but SIO2PC is practically a must for manipulating and utilizing all the disk images available for the Atari. Not to forget printing to your PC printer and using your PC modem and network connection. It is also the best (IMHO) method for archiving any disks you might have.

Well then I guess I didn't do too bad purchasing it. Thanks for all the great info.

Well then I guess I didn't do too bad purchasing it. Thanks for all the great info.

You definitely did not make a mistake. I have the serial version hooked up to an old laptop which I now use exclusively as my Atari 130XE's hard drive. Much of my disc library has been transfered over. With the touch of a few buttons I have any of my discs ready to go. It's a great, great device.

Bill

No. In fact, if you supplement your collection with a AtariMax FlashCart, you won't miss the USB attached storage at all. For me, inserting a cart with my favorite 50 or so games is a much better solution than navigating sio attached storage.

You can read more about these here.

No. In fact, if you supplement your collection with a AtariMax FlashCart, you won't miss the USB attached storage at all. For me, inserting a cart with my favorite 50 or so games is a much better solution than navigating sio attached storage.

You can read more about these here.

Thanks. The concept of the flashcart is probably more what I initially had in mind when I bought the SIO2PC, but I can see that the SIO2PC is going to be just as useful.

Thanks. The concept of the flashcart is probably more what I initially had in mind when I bought the SIO2PC, but I can see that the SIO2PC is going to be just as useful.

They go hand-in-hand. You compile the cart image on a PC (I use MakeMenu), then use the SIO2PC to burn the image on a cart plugged into your atari console. Once the cart is burned, you leave that in the atari and disconnect (optional) the SIO2PC.