IGNORED

SyncTERM - ATASCII/CG/ANSI terminal for Linux

jfalcon

I noticed this the other day when visiting the Synchronet BBS website. Seems that one could "emulate" an entire 8-bit multi-line bbs complete with ATASCII menus if they really wanted to and push this out as a "telnet replacement" since Vista doesn't have a telnet client. :)

http://syncterm.bbsdev.net/

Vista does actually have telnet, but you have to activate it. I guess they considered it a security risk.

Stephen Anderson

Vista does actually have telnet, but you have to activate it. I guess they considered it a security risk.

Eh, are you talking about a telnet client or a server? How could a telnet client be a security risk?

This SyncTerm thing looks pretty neat, regardless. Does both Atari and Commodore special characters, how many terminal emulators can claim that? Also supports SSH, no security risks there (heh, I wonder if anyone's ever tried to implement an SSH server on an 8-bit machine?)

Eh, are you talking about a telnet client or a server? How could a telnet client be a security risk?

This SyncTerm thing looks pretty neat, regardless. Does both Atari and Commodore special characters, how many terminal emulators can claim that? Also supports SSH, no security risks there (heh, I wonder if anyone's ever tried to implement an SSH server on an 8-bit machine?)

Was being sarcastic (about the security risk). Like Vista asking for your permission after every button click unless you turn that damn option off. I know telnet isn't a risk, but am wondering why they have it disabled by default.

Stephen Anderson

• 2 months later...

Was being sarcastic (about the security risk). Like Vista asking for your permission after every button click unless you turn that damn option off. I know telnet isn't a risk, but am wondering why they have it disabled by default.

Stephen Anderson

Hi guys, Vista actually does not have a telnet client. MS did not include Hyperterminal with Vista, which was the default telnet client for XP. However you can simply copy Hyperterminal from an XP installation and it will work just like it did with XP. You can also download a free version of the Hyperterminal from Hilgraeve Inc.

Ray

Atari8Warez

• 1 month later...
Hi guys, Vista actually does not have a telnet client. MS did not include Hyperterminal with Vista, which was the default telnet client for XP. However you can simply copy Hyperterminal from an XP installation and it will work just like it did with XP. You can also download a free version of the Hyperterminal from Hilgraeve Inc.

Ray

Atari8Warez

seriously? if you type telnet in a shell, you get an error?