IGNORED

Motherboard question

Brian R.

Here it is... I don't know what everything is, and may use the wrong terminology, but I hope someone can understand me enough to answer.

On the motherboard, there are four large chips in the middle of the board. My question is about the one on the front right of the board, when looking at it from the front, where the joystick ports are.

I've got a board where on the front of that front right chip, pin number 10, when counting from right to left, is stuck out. Is this a problem?

I've tried several games on it and they all seem to work just fine. I've tried PacMan, Pengo, Dig Dug, Qix, Pitfall, River Raid, Star Wars Arcade, Ms. PacMan and Berzerk.

Here it is... I don't know what everything is, and may use the wrong terminology, but I hope someone can understand me enough to answer.

On the motherboard, there are four large chips in the middle of the board. My question is about the one on the front right of the board, when looking at it from the front, where the joystick ports are.

I've got a board where on the front of that front right chip, pin number 10, when counting from right to left, is stuck out. Is this a problem?

I've tried several games on it and they all seem to work just fine. I've tried PacMan, Pengo, Dig Dug, Qix, Pitfall, River Raid, Star Wars Arcade, Ms. PacMan and Berzerk.

That's the G.T.I.A Graphics Television Interface Adapter and that pin is always disconnected on any 5200 I've opened up so you're fine.

-Jeff

That's the G.T.I.A Graphics Television Interface Adapter and that pin is always disconnected on any 5200 I've opened up so you're fine.

-Jeff

Yeah, I was just told that. It was strange to see.

I have another two-port board, and on it that chip is fully plugged in, including that pin.

So I guess I've seen something you haven't! ;)

I've been looking for some kind of diagram or something that identifies what everything is on the board, but haven't come across one. Anyone know where to find it?

Edited by Brian R.

I've been looking for some kind of diagram or something that identifies what everything is on the board, but haven't come across one. Anyone know where to find it?

Look at the schematic. ;)

That's a little above my head. I was hoping for something that just told me what is what.

Change of subject - I've read that Pitfall is not supposed to work on the two ports. It works on this one. ???

I guess I can say what I did here was buy a new two-port motherboard from Brad at Best Electronics. I was able to get him on the phone and he cleared this up for me.

This board went into the 5200 I salvaged from a trash can at a car wash recently. I thought the four-port I bought years ago at a flea market worked well - which it does, but this thing is flawless! Perfect picture, sound, no interference, just A plus perfect. I guess that's to be expected, since it's brand new.

All I had to do was transfer the RF shields from the old board to the new one. For $35, you can't beat it. So as it is, this two porter may have a scratch, scuff and scrape here and there on the outside, but inside, it's all new.

Talk about going literally from trash to treasure!