IGNORED

About Beef Drop

Brian R.

Is 5200 Beef Drop worth getting for $30? I know there's a "better" 7800 version out there, but since it's not available, it doesn't really matter.

Burgertime is a game I've played, but I don't think I was ever very good at it. But I've been using my 5200 a bit lately, and really would like to have more reason to use it - new games is the best way, of course.

Just wondering if this version is worth getting. Does it look good? Play good? Flicker? Control? (I have a Wico.) Or should I hold out for a 7800 version, if it's ever available again. ???

Also, is Jr. Pac-Man worth getting? I have the 2600 version, and it's HARD. Is this one just as tough?

Edited by Brian R.

I have the 8bit version and really like it. BT never came out on the 8bit platform and I was bummed - this plays just as well as the 7800 version IMHO, but isnt as colorful :(. Kenfused did a great job on this conversion and you wont be disappointed!

There will be some more 7800 cartridges available eventually.

The 5200 version (1) isn't quite as colorful, (2) will flicker a little if lots of objects are on or near a horizontal line, and (3) when dropped the enemies respawn from the corners instead of from where they are dropped. The 5200 does have a high score entry screen which the 7800 version doesn't have (unless you have the 7800 high-score cart). It is only good until the power is turned off, of course.

There will be some more 7800 cartridges available eventually.

The 5200 version (1) isn't quite as colorful, (2) will flicker a little if lots of objects are on or near a horizontal line, and (3) when dropped the enemies respawn from the corners instead of from where they are dropped. The 5200 does have a high score entry screen which the 7800 version doesn't have (unless you have the 7800 high-score cart). It is only good until the power is turned off, of course.

Any idea when those 7800 carts will come? Is it better to wait for those? If you had a choice... what would you do?

I really enjoy Beef Drop for the 5200. A while back, I had a couple others try the game, and one had issues using the ladders...but I think that's because she wasn't used to the controllers. The only complaint I had about the game was the background music gets out of sync after sound effects happen. Until Kenfused pointed it out in this thread, I didn't realize that the enemy hot dogs / egg / pickles actually reappear from where they were dropped in the arcade version (I used to have an Intellivision and a BurgerTime cart, and seem to remember that version following the arcade rules on this detail). Maybe Kenfused will revisit his work some time and decide to change these things?

As it is, though, the game is definitely worth purchasing! I play this one more than many of the other 5200 games in my collection.

• 6 months later...
Is the consensus then that the 7800 BD version is better than the 5200 BD? I usually like 5200 carts because I like the Starcon controller, but now I have the 7800 NES pad.

Bear in mind that the current offering is Beef Drop VE for the 7800. The sound is good on it, but the Pokey does add more to what's there. If you've got the XBoarD, the the 7800 version is the best way to go. Put that extra hardware to work!

Why not buy carts for both systems?

Is the consensus then that the 7800 BD version is better than the 5200 BD? I usually like 5200 carts because I like the Starcon controller, but now I have the 7800 NES pad.

Bear in mind that the current offering is Beef Drop VE for the 7800. The sound is good on it, but the Pokey does add more to what's there. If you've got the XBoarD, the the 7800 version is the best way to go. Put that extra hardware to work!

Why not buy carts for both systems?

Pokey VS Non-Pokey with Beef Drop makes little difference. 5200 Beef Drop is weak compaired to the 7800 version. Also the Xboard is dead, your about the only person who ever even mentions it. It was a novel idea and all but the xboard is no more than a dust collector attached to your 7800.