IGNORED

25th Anniversery

atari5200dude

So, does nobody have the skills and desire to put up some 5200 themed gameplay videos on youtube then?

Already done... me and my cats enjoying Space Dungeon:

The 5200... ummm, something to say for the 25th anniversary? Maybe that I'm surprised people still remember it. :D

Edited by doctorclu

I find it interesting how everyone brings up the controllers as such a huge issue on the 5200, yet I've owned a few Colecovisions and those God aweful controllers I think are equally bad if not worse, the low disc shaped joysticks are painful at best, and annoying as well.

The firebuttons are really the only gripe I have with the 5200 controllers, if they'd been replaced with a harder plastic set of firebuttons instead of the squishy fire buttons the controllers would've been a lot better.

Curt

Wednesday, July 18th, 2007 - There's nothing wrong with Atari 5200 stock controllers :P

He meant something TRUE about the Atari 5200!

The bad news is that the inadequacies of the Atari 5200's stock controllers are not exaggerated. The GOOD news is that the games themselves make up for the poor joystick design. They're smoother and more colorful than their ColecoVision counterparts, and the closely related Atari 400/800 computer line demonstrates how much potential was packed inside this system.

Edited by Curt Vendel

I've still got my launch 5200. My mom paid nearly $250 for the thing if I remember correctly. First games we got were Pacman and Super Breakout of course.

The 5200 is actually my all time favorite nostalgic console, even over the 2600. Maybe it's just all the awesomeness (Joust, Space Dungeon, etc.) compiled with all the heartache (going through half-a-dozen or so broken controllers, receiving new broken cartridges like Mr. Do's Castle from Sears that I never could play, never being able to find a Wico Keypad to go with my Wico stick, the Crash shortly afterward, etc.) that to me, it has the most memories about it.

I still love the thing. It is after all a bona-fide member of the Atari 8-bit family. I wonder these days how much more awesome it would have been if we had seen games like Super & Jr. Pacman, Stargate, Millipede, et. al. back in the day. It would have been just that more impressive.

I got the 5200 as a Christmas present. Super Breakout with the system, Pacman and Galaxian on the side. What a joy to have arcade quality games compared to the other kids on the street with the 2600! If only I had known how many controllers we would go through!

-Brian