IGNORED

4 port with factory power connector?

currentc

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this 5200. It has 4 ports and a power connector on the back. It is a factory installed connector. The manual has instructions for both switch boxes. The serial number does not have a + or * in it.

Also I have a small problem with it. The controllers do not turn right very well. Does anybody know how to calibrate the controllers?

post-14484-1184868313_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1184868335_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1184868358_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1184868392_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1184868424_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1184868445_thumb.jpg

I was wondering if anyone can help me identify this 5200. It has 4 ports and a power connector on the back. It is a factory installed connector. The manual has instructions for both switch boxes. The serial number does not have a + or * in it.

Also I have a small problem with it. The controllers do not turn right very well. Does anybody know how to calibrate the controllers?

Well, first off, the two switchboxes - they both appear to be standard TV/Computer switch boxes, they just look different, and the one on top has the coax connector. The one on top resembles the four-port auto switchbox, but it's not the same as the standard four port auto switchbox that has the power plug into it.

My guess is there was some overlap in the conversion from the four port to the two port. They wanted to stop using the auto switch box, but had four port boards, so they modified them to have the power plug into the console instead of the switchbox.

When I got my first two port, I noticed the bottom of the case was the same as the four port, with notches for four controller ports.

Edited by Brian R.

Well, first off, the two switchboxes - they both appear to be standard TV/Computer switch boxes, they just look different, and the one on top has the coax connector. The one on top resembles the four-port auto switchbox, but it's not the same as the standard four port auto switchbox that has the power plug into it.

My guess is there was some overlap in the conversion from the four port to the two port. They wanted to stop using the auto switch box, but had four port boards, so they modified them to have the power plug into the console instead of the switchbox.

When I got my first two port, I noticed the bottom of the case was the same as the four port, with notches for four controller ports.

My 2-port is like that too.

Could you take a pic of where the red wire goes? As for adjusting the controllers, there is a pot on the board that looks like a white wheel. One is for color and the other one is for controller adjustment.

Edited by SINGLE TOOTH

You might want to see if it's compatible with the 2600 adapter. One 4-port board revision (the CO number ends in -3 if I recall correctly) supports the 2600 adapter, and in my experience (having only found 2 back in the '90s, one of those from looking through the grille for the -3) they are somewhat rare.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

I have more pictures at home. I will try to post them later. I do not have any pictures of the bottom of the board (were the red wire goes). I don't know how to remove the board without breaking the little plastic posts a the front.

What is the CO number? Where is it located?

I adjusted the trim pot and my controllers work perfect now, THANK YOU!

Here are a couple more pictures of the inside of the unit. The red wire goes below the motherboard so I can't see where it goes. Looking through the grill I don't see a "-3" anywhere.

I would like to find out what the story is on this. This is my only 5200 so I have nothing to compare it with. Is there anyting else I can try to find? Is there a date code anywhere?

Thanks

post-14484-1185244848_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1185244884_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1185244905_thumb.jpg

post-14484-1185244922_thumb.jpg

Well im glad u got the controllers working. I dont know anything about the numbering schemes though.

The front prongs can be depressed to let the motherboard come out, if you be so adventureous. But, I don't blame you if you don't wanna screw with it.

that unit is in nice shape. Mine are all scratched up from the previous owner destroying them.

I have one of these too. The short story behind mine is:

We bought in to the 5200 early, and played it to death. This was the classic 4-port with special switchbox. Some time in the mid-late 80's it stopped working. My stepdad called Atari and somehow got them to do a console swap. So we sent in the original & they sent us a new one, which ended up being a 4-port with a 2-port style power connector. The modification on mine appears similar to yours - red/green wires hand soldered to the board.

Oh, and mine has a simlar serial number label, without an * in it.

Edited by FABombjoy

FABombjoy:

If your 5200 4 port model came back from servicing with the * on it. Then that means it was modified to be compatible with the 2600 adapter. Nearly all of the 4 ports I believe can be modified to make them compatible with the VCS adapter and it looks like yours was modded when you took it in for service.

Here are a couple more pictures of the inside of the unit. The red wire goes below the motherboard so I can't see where it goes. Looking through the grill I don't see a "-3" anywhere.

I would like to find out what the story is on this. This is my only 5200 so I have nothing to compare it with. Is there anyting else I can try to find? Is there a date code anywhere?

Thanks

What I noticed in those pictures - the plug for the RF cable on the board seems to be taller or "deeper" than the one on I saw on two two-port boards, one on a used system I found and one on a new one I just bought.

Because the ones I saw were so shallow, the RF cable on the board end had a shorter "prong" than on the other end that goes to the TV. Therefore, I couldn't easily replace the cable with a new one, because it has a special plug for the mother board end.

Edited by Brian R.