IGNORED

Centipede

bergbros

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7800, Can you tell us when it will come out, by whom and the price?

Nope, nope and nope. :sad: I'm sorry guys, I took an oath of secrecy. Here is what I can tell you... the people involved in this are outside of Atari 7800.com, it's not something we are brewing up. They claim to have purchased this straight from the sunnyvale warehouse when they were closing down, and that it is pretty much a complete game that can be played for at least a few hours without any glitches. There may have been other variations of Centipede created by other homebrewers, (I am not certain) but this one came right out of Atari. It will be produced at one point down the road (hopefully in the next 3 or 4 years) but only if they can get around the copyright situation. Centipede is one of those "popular" titles that is still an active copyright for Infogrames, so that causes a real problem appearantly.

If and when this becomes available, believe me everyone will be made well aware of it, and we will have them in stock to sell at Atari 7800.com.

Best,

So how come they don't change the artwork a bit to basically change the name? Assuming they bought the copyright to the Shadowsoft code the only issue is licensing the trademark, and they can solve that by simply not using the trademark, right?

I'm pretty sure everyone here would buy a copy of, say, "Leggybug" for the Lynx...

Eric

I dont think the people who have control of the situation really want to do that, or have the time to do all the programing. I've suggested that too, but nothing has come of it yet. Don't worry though, there are other cooler projects on the way before Centipede. At least thats what I have been told numerous times anyway. ;)

Sorry guys I hate to tease ya like that, but thats about all I can suggest. Maybe if you hound harry dodgson he can turn something cool out again!

Best,

I am still in regular contact with Shadowsoft, and I am certain they have not licensed their version of Centipede (which is the only version I've ever heard of and played on the Lynx) to anyone. It would not surprise me at all that Atari had access to this beta, since it was common for Atari to receive beta updates and occasionally even encrypt them. I have Atari-encrypted versions of Lexis and CyberVirus that are not the released versions, for example.

Anyway, the game does play well, but lacks sound. You'd need the original source to fix this. And the copyright issue must be addressed. There's zero chance that Infogrames would allow the name to be used, so again if you had the source, you could swap out some title/in-game graphics and make a different enough game to avoid copyright issues.

Sorry guys I hate to tease ya like that, but thats about all I can suggest. Maybe if you hound harry dodgson he can turn something cool out again!

Best,

Now why would you want to hound a nice guy like me? :ponder:

If the 'net people would stop passing around and/or selling my demos, I'd be more enthusiastic about completing and releasing my work. As long as I don't let it out of my sight, people can't pirate it :x

Harry

Harry-

Hey sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I literally wanted people to hound you, buddy. I meant that as an homage to your work! :D I have bought about one of everything you have made (how many hours I have spent with my monitor cartridge, I cant even count) so all I was saying was that I hope there is enough demand and interest in your work for you to make another release. Thats all. ;)

As for Centipede on Lynx... again I dont really know what will happen with this. I know some people who want to publish it sooner or later but its not a real priority. I played it once and the one I had *did* have sound. No music, but just the littke "wakka-wunk, wakka-wunk, wakka-wunk" that the regular arcade centipede had.

PS- Let's all give a round of applause to Harry for his hard work and commitment and stop pirating his stuff! 8)

Now why would you want to hound a nice guy like me?  :ponder:

If the 'net people would stop passing around and/or selling my demos, I'd be more enthusiastic about completing and releasing my work.  As long as I don't let it out of my sight, people can't pirate it  :x

Harry

Hey Harry,

I don't want to pirate your games, but would love to BUY a released version of your marble madness for the Lynx! When you going to get back into the programming?

Hey Harry,  

I don't want to pirate your games, but would love to BUY a released version of your marble madness for the Lynx! When you going to get back into the programming?

Wasn't aware that Harry is working on Marble Madness.

But if so, i expect it to being nearer to a release than my attempt (http://home.t-online.de/home/Matthias.Domi...in/lynx_eng.htm) ;-)

Regards

Matthias

Ohh!!  I'd love to see your Dungeon demoturned into a full blown game!

I stopped when i had no free RAM left. That's why the staircases don't look

as good as they should (They were the last graphics addedto the engine).

Also it's all written in 6502-assembler, after this first game i started using

the C-compiler, so it would be very hard for me to go on after 5 years.

But nowadays i have knowledge about using bigger E2proms for saving

stuff (up to 2KB instead of just 128bytes), this would be helpfull when

trying to finish the game.

Cheers

Matthias

But if so, i expect it to being nearer to a release than my attempt (http://home.t-online.de/home/Matthias.Domi...in/lynx_eng.htm) ;-)

Regards

Matthias

Sorry :sad: I had the name mixed up when I was talking about Marble Madness. I discovered my error yesterday when I was playing with your demo Matthias! Hope ya forgive my mistake :ponder: Hey by the way, If you do anymore work on it, I would love to be able to test it out for ya! Marble Madness is one of my wife's and my favorite games! :)

For those who haven't played the Centipede demo from Shadowsoft...

The version I have is vertically oriented, and scrolls left and right so you have to keep moving to see where all the centipede pieces are dropping down from. At the end it says "You are a Robotron hero"... which is not put in the center of the viewable screen, but on the virtual screen so depending on where you are, you might not see all of it. If memory serves, I got the unencrypted cartridge image thru Teflon Software who got it direct from Shadowsoft. I had to add my own encryption code to it to see what it looked like. That has been known to screw up parts of some games (especially HMS titles) though.

Anyone interested in a pretty poor version of Breakout for the NGPC? I got the core of it from a DOS C demo and the gameplay is even more unique than the iPod version.

Harry,

If your looking for someone to test play your "pretty poor version of Breakout" on an emulator (or a cart if you have one) I would love to! :) That's a really fun game! My wife and I loose a lot of hours playing a windows based copy of that game on our PC we found one day on the net.

Let me know! Thanks

Sorry :sad: I had the name mixed up when I was talking about Marble Madness. I discovered my error yesterday when I was playing with your demo Matthias! Hope ya forgive my mistake

No problem. :) Just thought i should promote my poor website.

On the other hand: Harry is always a favorite for a new good game. ;)

Bye

Matthias