IGNORED

Rent Wars, and a minor (high score!) achievement

NoahsMyBro

2007 marked yet another year that I didn't make it out to Classic Gaming Expo. Fortunately, I was able to convince a friend of mine that was going to pick up Rent Wars for me, and I picked it up this morning on my way to work.

About 10:00pm tonight I finally had an opportunity to hook up the 5200 (my best 5200 - 4-port, 8-bit domain's video mod, everything works, and it's clean!) and give it a shot.

I think it looks like it could be a very fun game, but I've noticed showstopping controller issues, which were very disappointing. I'm hopeful that I'm just stupidly overlooking something, and others will chime in here to say they can play the game just fine. I was using controllers that I'd previously rebuilt, and when I've used them other times within the last 6 months (multi cart, Adventure 2) I saw no issues. Initially I thought the controllers had bombed out and was aggravated, but I then played a few games of Adv 2 and Berzerk, and the controllers performed flawlessly on those 2 games.

Here's my issues:

1) On two of the three controllers I tried I could not get the '1' key or Start to work, so I couldn't play.

2) The third controller can get the game started, but while I'm playing it becomes harder and harder to move my player to the right, until I have to really jam the stick to the right so hard I can feel the plastic beginning to flex.

Now, on to the minor achievement. After the frustration and disappointment of not being able to play Rent Wars (and believe me, I think it looks like a very fun game if I can get the controller to work!), I popped in Berzerk. After about 30 minutes, I managed to hit 7750! :) :-o

post-1104-1186115516_thumb.jpg

I think I'll try hooking up a two-port system, and see if that makes any difference.

Edited by NoahsMyBro

• 2 weeks later...
I think it looks like it could be a very fun game, but I've noticed showstopping controller issues, which were very disappointing.

I´ve played the game a lot this past week and have had no controller problems whatsoever. If you´re playing as Landlord 1 (the left guy) it *will* get harder to push to the right if you tire him too much (by, indeed, pushing ;) ).

My 5200 is a 4-port btw.

Hope you get it solved, mate. :)