IGNORED

Apple I Ad

Goochman

Apple really needs to go back to using that logo. :)

Hard to tell from the scan, but I think that's Sir Isaac Newton sitting under a tree, about to get hit by a falling apple.

I've always thought the new Apple logo (apple with a bite taken out of it) was supposed to be an homage to Alan Turing (father of the digital computer), who committed suicide by injecting an apple with cyanide. His body was found with the apple, with one bite taken out of it...

It sort of goes with the $666.66 price tag, too. I didn't even know the apple tree/Newton logo ever existed.

Hard to tell from the scan, but I think that's Sir Isaac Newton sitting under a tree, about to get hit by a falling apple.

I've always thought the new Apple logo (apple with a bite taken out of it) was supposed to be an homage to Alan Turing (father of the digital computer), who committed suicide by injecting an apple with cyanide. His body was found with the apple, with one bite taken out of it...

Thats partly right. Apple initially used this picture as their company logo. There's an inscription around the logo, that says: 'Newton... A Mind Forever Voyaging Through Strange Seas Of Thought... Alone'. After a while Steve Jobs (rightly) considered this logo too complex for the public and hired an advertising agency to create a new one. He had previously worked at an orchard picking apples, and suggested they start off their design ideas with the shape of an apple. It eventually became the abstract 6-colored sliced-in-half fruit with a chunk taken out. The bitemark was a pun mocking the sometimes incomprehensible terms, such as bits and bytes, used in the computer industry. The colors were put in to show the public that the Apple was indeed a computer that could display multiple colors onscreen, which wasn't commonplace in 1977 (not even on workstations or large multimillion$ mainframes). Personally, I like this logo more than the present drop-of-water type one.

For those interested, an extensive description of the history of Apple (computers and company) can be found on Steven Weyhrich's awarded website at http://www.apple2history.org/ . Good reading not only for the older generation (nostalgia :D ), but also for youngsters, who sometimes tend to forget that the equipment, tools, knowledge and infobases that are available now just weren't around in the heydays of computing.

re-atari