IGNORED

atari 400 games

jaymz887

http://www.sunmark.com/

They sell multicarts. One has 18 Datsoft games for $39.99... Not a bad price I guess, but why not go to www.atarimax.com and buy an 8 meg flashcart, you can load your own games and change them as needed...

Obviously Sunmark is a good idea if you don't have access to a SIO2PC to load images onto the Atarimax flashcart, and it's a good idea if the games you want to play are represented on the flashcarts you buy from Sunmark...

So I guess if you are looking for ease of use and see games you want to play then yes it's a fair deal.

I never managed to get the Atarimax flashcarts working on my 48K 400, don't know why, I know other people use them ok.

If I had $39 to spend, I would go for an SIO2PC, and have hundreds of games and $10 left over!!

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

Well, $29.99 plus shipping. I have an SIO2PC (usb -- which is much more). It's great, but I run most of my games off a flash cart -- also from atarimax. It takes infrastructure (SIO2PC), time, and skill to create a flash cart. I think there is value in buying a flashcart with games pre-loaded. I wonder about the ethics of loading the games without license, but there is no doubt that this is a good deal.

I never managed to get the Atarimax flashcarts working on my 48K 400, don't know why, I know other people use them ok.

If I had $39 to spend, I would go for an SIO2PC, and have hundreds of games and $10 left over!!

http://www.atarimax.com/sio2pc/documentation/

Well, $29.99 plus shipping. I have an SIO2PC (usb -- which is much more). It's great, but I run most of my games off a flash cart -- also from atarimax. It takes infrastructure (SIO2PC), time, and skill to create a flash cart. I think there is value in buying a flashcart with games pre-loaded. I wonder about the ethics of loading the games without license, but there is no doubt that this is a good deal.

Well, if we are splitting hairs, the Sunmark cart is also plus shipping.

In my opinion, the OP would get more bang for his buck from and SIO2PC and APE,it's less outlay and does'nt limit them to 18 games, thats all I was trying to get across.

I also have the Maxflash 8G and 1G carts,they are easy enough to use with the excelent Make Menu application, but for me I dont find them as usefull as an SIO2PC.

At the end of the day you pay's your money and you takes your choice

Indeed Mimo... The only reason I have a MyIDE+Flash is becuase I got it with a bundle I bought from someone, I already had a SIO2PC w/APE... However I do like to use the MyIDE when I don't want to boot up the PC and load games via APE (If I hadn't recieved the MyIDe with the bundle I wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy it, but I'm happy I have it)...

SO I guess the same thing might be said about these premade carts, good to use when you just want to turn on your Atari and go... Although I think the SIO2PC (or with USB) has the best flexibility and value.

In my opinion, the OP would get more bang for his buck from and SIO2PC and APE,it's less outlay and does'nt limit them to 18 games, thats all I was trying to get across.

I also have the Maxflash 8G and 1G carts,they are easy enough to use with the excelent Make Menu application, but for me I dont find them as usefull as an SIO2PC.

At the end of the day you pay's your money and you takes your choice

All good points. The OP asked if the carts are 'worth it' and I think they are. If you can buy a cart with 20 games on it for $40, and you like them, and they work with your system, that's a pretty good deal -- compared to collecting the games on ebay, for instance.

One of my systems is in my home office. The kids pop in and out of there from time to time. It's not uncommon for one of them to hit the power switch on the XEGS, turn on the TV, and play did dug or wizard of war. I don't think this would happen if they had to boot the PC on the other end of the SIO2PC and load an image first.

I have two 8m carts and created my own images using Make Menu. It was easy once I figured things out, but the process is not for everyone. Besides using the tools, there is a lot of testing and trial and error. And the cost is not insignificant -- two carts, sio2pc (usb), and APE comes to ~$200US.

So, I think the carts are worth the price.