IGNORED

Fixing a pro-line

DragonmasterDan

I just got my Atari 7800 in the mail today, and unfortunately neither pro line controller works. One has buttons that work (but not the stick itself), the other seems completely unrecognized by the system. At the moment I'm using a genesis controller and an atari trackball. Any suggestions for how to repair a pro-line? Is it even possible?

I just got my Atari 7800 in the mail today, and unfortunately neither pro line controller works. One has buttons that work (but not the stick itself), the other seems completely unrecognized by the system. At the moment I'm using a genesis controller and an atari trackball. Any suggestions for how to repair a pro-line? Is it even possible?

My suggestion is to ditch the proline and get a set of the Euro joypad controllers. Not great, but better than the prolines for when you need two fire buttons. Otherwise, a 2600 controller or similar will work fine for many of the games that don't need two fire buttons.

The pads show up on eBay or better can be bought from Best Electronics.

• 1 month later...
I did some surgery to the working one and have it working, kind of, moving right is extremely stiff, I had to realign the joystick presser outline below the stick with the sensors. Are the sticks supposed to be super stiff? On a side note I located one of my old VCS sticks which is definitely a lot more responsive.

Yes, the prolines are very stiff. A new one basically doesn't move at all, you just put a little pressure on it and it will respond. I dislike that about them, people normally expect that the stick should move some noticeable distance so they tend to get unintentionally abused. After my first set got ruined a long time ago, I'm overprotective of my current pair so they pretty much just sit in a drawer unused.

I don't know anything about the Sega adapters, so can't comment on that.