IGNORED

Problem With the VSS Emulator, Please Help

MountainKing7

I'm new to these forums but I've been a big Atari fan since I was a kid. I grew up with the Atari game systems both the 2600 and the 5200. My all-time favorite game for the systems was "The Mountain King" which is how I chose my username. I wasn't a big fan of the 7800 or the Jaguar systems. I was bitten by the nostalgia bug what with the resurgence of the "Transformers" with the movie and the new "GI Joe" movie in development. So I felt the need to start playing these games again. I got the "Stella" 2600 emulator to work on my computer and now I'm trying to get the "VSS" 5200 emulator to work but I'm having problems. I thought that maybe some of the more experienced gamers on these forums can help me out. I would really appreciate it. I tried following the installation instructions supplied by AtariAge on their 5200 section. I was able to get up to Part 3 when I encountered a problem. My preliminary screen from the Command Prompt ended up looking like this (also see the attachment):

C:\ Command Prompt

Virtual Super System v0.82

copyright 1996/2004 by Daniel Bovis

Virtual Super System Starting...

Use: 5200 [file] [options]

-frame=# Frame rate <1>

-mouse=# Sets the mouse sensitivity

-pengo Set Pengo joystick mode

-control=<key,sticka,stickd,mouse>

Sets the controller to use

-cal Recalibrate joystick

-bb Run bounty bob

-nosound Disable sound

-nolimit Turn off speed limiter

-nostick Disable joysticks

-map16k Use alternate 16k mapping mode

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner>

I continued with the instructions and I installed the "Regal Beagle" program but every time I try to double-click a game ROM in the "Choose a BIN or A78" file list box or the "5200 List" box I get a completely blank command prompt screen that lasts only 2 seconds on my computer and the screen just states (also see the attachment):

C:\ C:\PROGRA~1\vss82\\5200.exe

I would be grateful for any help anyone can provide.

Thank You,

MountainKing7

Trouble2.doc

Trouble1.doc

Hello there and welcome to the Forum!

Part 3 of this AtariAge tutorial is quite huge, but I presume that you've stopped at subsection 6. So:

1. Please tell us how did you start the "5200.exe" program; that is, what command did you type in.

2. Please send us contents of your "5200.CFG" file (see Part 3 subsection 2)

From what I see on your screenshots, you have run 5200.exe by double-clicking on it, which is not the way it works. You have to run the Command Prompt, change the directory to the place you have VSS installed and type in the command as shown in Part 5 subsection 5.

Cheers,

Kr0tki