IGNORED

Game review sites?

Brian R.

Anyone know any sites with reviews/screenshots of the computer games?

AA doesn't have a section for the computer games. And the only sites I've found so far are very limited.

I know a lot of the games are similar or identical to the 5200 versions, but there are differences. Space Invaders is different, for example, as I just found out. I think I prefer the computer cart. But, Pengo seems better on the 5200.

Right now I'm wondering what Dig Dug is like. Identical to the 5200, different, ???

Edited by Brian R.

Anyone know any sites with reviews/screenshots of the computer games?

AA doesn't have a section for the computer games. And the only sites I've found so far are very limited.

I know a lot of the games are similar or identical to the 5200 versions, but there are differences. Space Invaders is different, for example, as I just found out. I think I prefer the computer cart. But, Pengo seems better on the 5200.

Right now I'm wondering what Dig Dug is like. Identical to the 5200, different, ???

I don't really know of any "review" site, aside from atariprotos. But, atarimania has ratings & comments contributed by visitors for most games. By the way, atariage does have a hidden A8 section. Although it is incomplete/unfinished. It's actually the first collection of downloadable games that I found for the A8 when I first got back into it.

Atari Cave has some interesting game reviews, but site has not been updated for a long time:

http://www.ataricave.com/

Also, Pengwin's site has some very interesting and detailed personal opinions on selected games ported to different platforms:

http://www.krazypengwin.co.uk/

Atari.Online.PL has many great interviews and reviews of games, but just in Polish language:

http://atari.online.pl/v01/index.phtml?ct=nowinki

Edited by Gury

Atarimania has thousands of screenshots, and lots of reviews too.

Visitors can add their own comments to individual games' pages, and rate games via the voting feature.

In relation to Dig Dug, there are actually several versions: here is the page for the 1983 Atari cartridge release, for example.

Visitors can add their own comments to individual games' pages, and rate games via the voting feature.

In relation to Dig Dug, there are actually several versions: here is the page for the 1983 Atari cartridge release, for example.

I'd forgotten about Atarimania. Thanks for that. Screenshots are more useful to me than even reviews.

Wow - didn't know there was a different version of Dig Dug on cartridge. How can you know which is which? The 1983 one looks like the 5200 game, but that 1982 one is very different. Is the 1982 one better?

Oh, and thanks for the link to the A8 info here. Look how long I've been here, and I didn't know it was there!

Edited by Brian R.

Oh, yea, I forgot there are also reviews for many games. Very interesting because they are original reviews at the time of the games' release. Although, sometimes the opinions and ideas can seem a little dated. But, what can you expect for articles 20-some years old. :)

Gotta ask a question about this.

The Space Invaders cart I have is not the one that's identical to the 5200. According to what I see on Atarimania, it's the 1980 version with the green "mother ship" on the side and the different looking invaders. I actually prefer it for now, and like that it's not the same. Is one version considered more rare than the other? Is there a way to tell without playing it what cart is which version?

Same for Dig Dug. I've got one on the way. Don't know if it will be the one identical to the 5200, or the earlier version. I kinda hope it's the 1982 version, just to be something different.

And its funny... in a 5200 catalogue, the screenshot for Space Invaders is of the earlier computer cart, not the 5200 game. Always wondered where that image came from. Now I know.

Actually, only the 1980 version of Space Invaders with the green mothership was officially released and exists as a cartridge. The other one was hacked and converted from the 5200 so it only made it as a disk file.

As for Dig Dug, there's a brown label release which may be either the 1982 or 1983 version, I don't think you can tell either apart from the outside. Maybe the packaging or manual is different, I'm not too sure... On the other hand, all silver label releases of Dig Dug have the newer code.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by www.atarimania.com

Actually, only the 1980 version of Space Invaders with the green mothership was officially released and exists as a cartridge. The other one was hacked and converted from the 5200 so it only made it as a disk file.

As for Dig Dug, there's a brown label release which may be either the 1982 or 1983 version, I don't think you can tell either apart from the outside. Maybe the packaging or manual is different, I'm not too sure... On the other hand, all silver label releases of Dig Dug have the newer code.

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Any thoughts on which version of Dig Dug is "better"???