IGNORED

How much interest is there in this adapter?

Bryan

Bryan, I was on the fence on calling it 1st or 2nd generation. But I get your point.

And I suppose I can't fault the idea of making more *alternatives* available for the 5200 system.

Although all the people complaining about no alternatives being available must have missed the Redemption Controller, the PMP 5200 RSI mod stick, and the handful of other digital alternatives to the 5200 stock controller. Although I suppose Jass Reagan's complaint has more truth to it than he may understand. Even if you get a digital stick, the controller logic built into the 5200 itself is analog. You're not going to get away from that unless you figure out how to cut some traces on the motherboard and rewire your own digital I/O interface...

At which point, you probably should have just picked up an Atari 800XL... the BEST digital stick adapter for the Atari 5200.

I dunno. I suppose it can't hurt to have more choices. Personally, if D-pad solutions worked well for me, I never would have bought the real hardware because emulation is pretty close, and free, to the real deal. By the time I really started getting my real hardware collection together, emulation had gotten much better and decent classic style USB sticks had become more widely available and reasonable. But, playing a 5200 game with a Logitech or Thrustmaster or Gravis never gave me the kind of precise control on classic arcade style games that I wanted.

I had an idea for a 2nd adapter (once I get this one done).

An adapter could be made that makes most defective sticks work without opening them. Instead of requiring good contact within the controller, a circuit could be made that only requires weak contact or uses the improved capacitive coupling achieved when pushing the button against the contacts. When inserted between the controller and the base unit, just about any old stick could be used.

Edited by Bryan

Paranoid, have you ever tried building a PC controller adapter for the Atari 5200? It's extremely versatile, offering support for both analog AND digital controllers. It's also easy and inexpensive to build... you just need a couple of .22u capacitors, some wire, three 15-pin solder cup connectors (one male, two female), and a couple hours of labor. Couple it with a good old-school PC joypad and you're ready to rumble!

Paranoid, have you ever tried building a PC controller adapter for the Atari 5200? It's extremely versatile, offering support for both analog AND digital controllers. It's also easy and inexpensive to build... you just need a couple of .22u capacitors, some wire, three 15-pin solder cup connectors (one male, two female), and a couple hours of labor. Couple it with a good old-school PC joypad and you're ready to rumble!

got a link for that?

I certainly do!

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/06_04.html

This adapter works beautifully... I just tested it out with an old digital joypad I had buried in a box of old gadgets, and it performed wonderfully. I can only imagine how great it would be with a joypad that hasn't been through so much abuse!

I looked into a few of those alternatives, but never went forward with it.

15 pin PC controllers are becoming hard to find, though, in these days of USB...

That may have been what made me decide not to build this, actually, and made me go with the PMP 5200 stick, instead. I was looking at both around the same time.

The PMP 5200 stick is a biiiatch to build... but it sure is fun once you get it working.

I'd like a controller- ANY controller!- that can divorce the 5200 from those insidious analog joysticks. I just wired up an adapter that lets me connect PC joysticks to the Atari 5200, and it works extremely well... far better than the stock controller ever had, that's for sure. However, without an adequate keypad, I'm still forced to start games with that rotten thing. I need to determine the pinout for that Atari keypad I purchased from BG Electronics... once I've figured it out, I'll be able to throw those awful stock controllers in the closet for good.

Jess, Thanks for the link.

Edited by Zonie

• 3 weeks later...
I've whipped up a prototype 5200->Jaguar controller adapter. The Jag controller is one of the few that has the requisite number of buttons.

Right now it works as follows:

All functions are as you would imagine except:

OPTION is START

A is top button

B is bottom button

RESET could be implemented as C+OPTION (not sure yet)

Stick can operate as analog (varies as you hold direction) or digital (snaps to extreme positions).

I'm working on the details, but it would end up being a very small inline device. I'm not sure whether to try and pot it, or put it in a small box. How much interest would there be in this?

-Bry

Edited by moonpatrol

I've whipped up a prototype 5200->Jaguar controller adapter. The Jag controller is one of the few that has the requisite number of buttons.

OPTION is START

A is top button

B is bottom button

Stick can operate as analog (varies as you hold direction) or digital (snaps to extreme positions).

I'm working on the details, but it would end up being a very small inline device. I'm not sure whether to try and pot it, or put it in a small box. How much interest would there be in this?

-Bry

I'm interested in at least two of them.

OPTION is START

A is top button

B is bottom button

-Bry

I'm interested in at least two of them.

Count me in for atleast 1 if not two!

Would love the option of using the Jag controller without the need for the 5200 controller to start the game, etc.