IGNORED

Connecting to UNIX/XENIX using an 800XL?

nathanallan

Has anyone ever tried to connect an 800XL to a unix/xenix machine? Here's what I am doing.

I have an Altos 986T server, and it has 7 serial ports on the back of it. It works good, runs Xenix on it which is another kind of Unix from way back, and I have successfully used hyperterminal to get into it. Next I want to use my ST then hook up anything else I can to it, and have a big happy network.

The ST is pretty much a no brainer, I've used it with Linux before as a terminal. What about the 800XL? I'll have to check if I have a term program on disk in the box. Has anyone ever done this?

Nathan

Edited by nathanallan

Has anyone ever tried to connect an 800XL to a unix/xenix machine? Here's what I am doing.

I have an Altos 986T server, and it has 7 serial ports on the back of it. It works good, runs Xenix on it which is another kind of Unix from way back, and I have successfully used hyperterminal to get into it. Next I want to use my ST then hook up anything else I can to it, and have a big happy network.

The ST is pretty much a no brainer, I've used it with Linux before as a terminal. What about the 800XL? I'll have to check if I have a term program on disk in the box. Has anyone ever done this?

Nathan

A8 as a serial console is also doable with just a SIO2PC cable combined R-Verter/Bob Verter driver. Of course, you can't use normal SIO devices while using the SIO2PC serial communications in this way.

- Steve

All I am shooting for is a way to get data to/from the altos. Not full connectivity, that can come later. I am sure I can configure the altos to route data from one serial port to another. But for now, the goal is to make the A8 and the altos talk over a null modem.

I'm trying to do this without using any kind of special cables, aside from null modems.

Nathan

Am I missing something here? Does the 800XL have a serial port that uses RS232? Researching.

The Atari 850 interface that connects to the Atari's SIO port.

Yep. I'll for sure need the sio2pc. I'll get on in the future, not quite there yet. Still got the ST, Tandy and ethernet to worry about. Thanks for the info (and the wake-up)

Nathan

I do it with all my a8 and SIO2PC cable. Software used on a8 is Ice-T XE, which needs a 128k machine. It works reliable with 9600 Baud. If you have no 128k upgraded a8, there is an older Version: Ice-T 800. i managed to get it working properly with 4899 Baud while connected via SIO2PC cable.

My SIO2PC cables are those with a MAX232 level converter.

I connect them to a Linux Box running Debian 3.1 (console only). The Pentium 1@166MHz in it has wether VGA, nor removable media or keyboard. I use it only as a peripheral device for my and other peoples machines.