IGNORED

seven cities of gold - help please!!!

lynn893

:? I have the 8-bit Atari system set up on my computer. I downloaded the ROM for 7 cities of gold and installed it properly. It comes up and then when I hit F4 to start, it asks me to "Please insert your map disk in drive number one at this time" :? Please help. What do I do to play the game. I'd love to show this one to my kids as I loved it when I was one!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to email me with any suggestions also.

;) Thanks ;)

Do you mean you downloaded the ATR image of the game???

There should be 2 atr images for Seven cities of gold, side one and side two...

Which emulator are you running - if its Atari800win then once you the emulator up and running use the attatch disc option to put the first disc onto drive one then when it asks go to the menu, drop the second disc image onto Drive 1 then resume the emulator and press START (or F4)...

sTeVE

Remember the goal of the game was to bring back riches to the motherland while at the same time converting the natives - Its best to barter with the chief to get gold, but if you run into him you'll kill him.

Finding settlements is tough at first - travel the rivers since it is faster

I wasted many an hour on this game (almost as much as Ultima :) )

To your questions, Jet Boot Jack, yes I downloaded the ROM. It did have 2 sides. I did what you suggested and it worked!!!! THANK YOU!!!

New question.... it's been a very long time since I played this. I can't remember any of the key sequences. And I find I;m hitting buttons all over the keyboard to get things happening.

Can anyone provide a basic keyboard layout of the keys needed to play?

I know F4 is start/return.

F1 pulls up the help screen (but mine doesn't have help, so it actually minimizes my screen)

How can I manouver around??? (sp. :roll: :D I know)

Thanks for any information. It's greatly appreciated.

Need to use the Joystick - First need to buy a ship/food/men

Board your ship and then find the new world

Explore - I think using your stick button will bring up a menu for you.

Find gold - Convert the Natives (or make them pay :) )

• 3 years later...
New question.... it's been a very long time since I played this. I can't remember any of the key sequences. And I find I;m hitting buttons all over the keyboard to get things happening.

Can anyone provide a basic keyboard layout of the keys needed to play?

How can I manouver around??? (sp.  :roll:   :D  I know)

Thanks for any information. It's greatly appreciated.

110362[/snapback]

There is a scanned version of the manual at Atarimania:

Seven Cities of Gold

Have Fun!

Edited by MrFish

Hint: when you go off on an expedition from your ship, take all of your men, and about 7 food.

If you leave men behind, they will eat food at an enormous rate. Travelling by river is fastest, and it is best to pace your journey.

Once you are established with a good ranking, get as many ships as possible, and just leave some behind (with supplies but no men) at river mouths.

If you are "gentle" towards the natives, they will just eventually ask you to start Missions there. It seems best to leave enough men behind to start a mission, rather than a simple fort.

Ok - you will need a disk with DOS 2.0 or DOS 2.5 on it.

Load into DOS, place a disk you can erase into D1 and select 'I' to Format a Disk (IF you get a question about 'Enhanced Density' say No.

Once the Format is complete you can use this as a 'blank' disc to create a new world on in 7 Cities.

Hi all. New user here. I'm trying to get the program to run. when I choose the create new world option, it asks for a blank disk. How do I get it see a blank disk?

Thanks in advance

985201[/snapback]

BUMP, still need help with the blank disk feature in Seven Cities.

Thanks

985332[/snapback]

Here you have an simple density empty disk formatted. Dont forget to Setting the emulator drive with Write/Read Option.

Empty_disk.zip

Hi all. New user here. I'm trying to get the program to run. when I choose the create new world option, it asks for a blank disk. How do I get it see a blank disk?

Thanks in advance

985201[/snapback]

BUMP, still need help with the blank disk feature in Seven Cities.

Thanks

985332[/snapback]

Here you have an simple density empty disk formatted. Dont forget to Setting the emulator drive with Write/Read Option.

Empty_disk.zip

985346[/snapback]

Thank you sir. You are the man!

There's a classic 80s cartoon based on the same theme as this: "Mysterious Cities of Gold".

It was my favourite of all of them as a kid, and it's available as a DivX or DVD set. Just Google the name above.

In fact, my avatar is my favourite character from that show: Tao, his name is.

Edited by Foebane