IGNORED

Fixing a broken power supply?

the 5th ghost

Is there any way to bring a dead power supply back to life?

I've got one that looks fine cosmetically, but doesn't work. I'm was going to pitch it.

A new one is only $15.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/power%20guide.htm

Thanks but I wasn't looking for a replacement. I have two working power supplies already.

I was just wondering if the broken one was salvageable before I tossed it in the trash.

It's probably a blown fuse. I've opened several dead 5200 power supplies and it's always the fuse. Depending on whether it is glued shut or has screws may make a difference on if it's worth fixing. The glued ones are a pain to open without destroying it.

Mitch

It's probably a blown fuse. I've opened several dead 5200 power supplies and it's always the fuse. Depending on whether it is glued shut or has screws may make a difference on if it's worth fixing. The glued ones are a pain to open without destroying it.

Mitch

Yep, that was my concern as well.

It is the glued version.

Pitch it?

Mitch

Yep, that was my concern as well.

It is the glued version.

Pitch it?

It depends if you want to take the time to carefully crack the glue seal.

Mitch

I got it apart pretty cleanly using my hammer and a few well placed taps.

It doesn't look like anything I am capable of fixing though. I see the fuse, but I'm not sure how to remove or replace it.

The fuse is soldered in, if you have ever done any soldering it should be very easy, if you haven't, well... Ask around maybe one of your friends can do it for you.

Mitch