IGNORED

What 2600/VCS games don't work with the 7800?

DragonmasterDan

You may also have trouble with Activision cases and Imagic cases fitting into the slot. In addition, TigerVision carts will not fit the slot at all.

With a little patience, however, a 7800 can be made to load and play any 2600 cart. The only thing mine doesn't do is TigerVision, and that's because I have no Tiger carts yet.

I've read that some VCS/2600 games do not work with the 7800 (or certain models of the 7800). Does anyone have a list of what games are known to be problematic and does anyone know why?

The latter 7800 broke compatibility when they modded the board to work with the 2600 version of Dark Chambers.

Here is the fix:

http://www94.pair.com/jsoper/7800_compat.html

If you have a Warner Atari 7800 with the expansion port then odds are it will work with everything (although I don't know about 2600 Dark Chambers). Mine likes the Supercharger fine.

Maybe I should make this topic sticky since this question come up fairly often.

There are two reasons for the compatibility issues.

The first one is related to the collar around the cart slot. On the original 7800s the collar was better designed and pretty much everything worked except some incorrectly assembled Tigervision games. The later 7800s have a redesigned collar that is too small for several of the cart shells used by some of the third party companies (Imagic games are probably the worst). There are various ways to fix this mostly by cutting away some of the collar.

The second reason is related to a timing circuit built into some 7800s. The original 7800s did not have the extra circuit but it was added in the middle of the 7800 lifetime due to occasional problems with a few 2600 superchip games made by Atari (Most notably 2600 Dark Chambers). Unfortunately, the new timing circuit caused problems with some Activision games that used the FE bankswitching mode (Robot Tank, Decathlon and Space Shuttle) and the Supercharger.

There was also a bug in a late run of TIA chips (both PAL and NTSC) used in some 2600jrs and 7800s that caused problems with Kool-Aid Man.

Then we have the "aging electronics" problem that will only get worse as the years go by. As electronics get older they can start to slowly fail and cause timing to drift off enough that some games will fail or have other issues.

Probably more than you wanted to know. :D

Mitch

There are two reasons for the compatibility issues.

The first one is related to the collar around the cart slot. On the original 7800s the collar was better designed and pretty much everything worked except some incorrectly assembled Tigervision games. The later 7800s have a redesigned collar that is too small for several of the cart shells used by some of the third party companies (Imagic games are probably the worst). There are various ways to fix this mostly by cutting away some of the collar.

The second reason is related to a timing circuit built into some 7800s. The original 7800s did not have the extra circuit but it was added in the middle of the 7800 lifetime due to occasional problems with a few 2600 superchip games made by Atari (Most notably 2600 Dark Chambers). Unfortunately, the new timing circuit caused problems with some Activision games that used the FE bankswitching mode (Robot Tank, Decathlon and Space Shuttle) and the Supercharger.

There was also a bug in a late run of TIA chips (both PAL and NTSC) used in some 2600jrs and 7800s that caused problems with Kool-Aid Man.

Then we have the "aging electronics" problem that will only get worse as the years go by. As electronics get older they can start to slowly fail and cause timing to drift off enough that some games will fail or have other issues.

Probably more than you wanted to know. :D

Mitch

I have a few Imagic games that don't boot, maybe that's why. I've had no problems with my activision titles though. I've actually had pretty good luck with it all things considered, I have a four switch that is in a box unused so I could use that to potentially test if I have bad carts or it's the 7800. I'm guessing mine is a later model due to the lack of the expansion slot (or any sign of where it would be)

I have a few Imagic games that don't boot, maybe that's why. I've had no problems with my activision titles though. I've actually had pretty good luck with it all things considered, I have a four switch that is in a box unused so I could use that to potentially test if I have bad carts or it's the 7800. I'm guessing mine is a later model due to the lack of the expansion slot (or any sign of where it would be)

Yeah, it sounds that way. Your Imagic carts are most likely failing because of the small cart slot collar issue.

I probably also should have mentioned in my earlier post that Atari removed the extra timing circuit from the last couple runs of the 7800.

Mitch

I tried plugging in this 2600 cart i found recently into my 7800 "MASTER BUILDER"IT WAS TIGHT AS HECK,to the point i started hearing a cracking sound,god that was awful,i am careful now,if i insert a cart and it has the slightest hint of being too tight,i mark it as a cart that wont fit into the 7800 with a piece of tape across the back or something,dont want to crack my precious carts.

I tried plugging in this 2600 cart i found recently into my 7800 "MASTER BUILDER"IT WAS TIGHT AS HECK,to the point i started hearing a cracking sound,god that was awful,i am careful now,if i insert a cart and it has the slightest hint of being too tight,i mark it as a cart that wont fit into the 7800 with a piece of tape across the back or something,dont want to crack my precious carts.

Yep, see reason number two above.

Mitch

You guys get the pause feature to work in 20th Century Fox games yet? Get Phaser Patrol to let you turn off the shields?

I did! :P

Oh, and how's Miner 2049er working? 2600 Dark Chambers? :D

I think you're right.

Edited by shadow460

2600 Dark Chambers? :D

My 7800 never had any trouble that I noticed with Dark Chambers. What was the exact issue, technically, and why would Dark Chambers have been different from any other cart?

Something to do with that timing circuit...but I'm not sure what. I don't have the 2600 version.

2600 Dark Chambers? :D

My 7800 never had any trouble that I noticed with Dark Chambers. What was the exact issue, technically, and why would Dark Chambers have been different from any other cart?

Something to do with the Superchip RAM timing. Stargate/Defender2 is slightly affected as well but only on the title screen.

Mitch

Ah its ok i just play them on my 2600. :)

There's actually a way to modify the cartridge port so that it accepts the faulty Tiger carts. MattG/Snyper2099 knows how. As soon as I get a Tiger cart or two, I'm going to learn how to do it myself. That way I don't have to open up any R5 plus carts.