IGNORED

*Two* Atari 2800's found in the wild!

spacecadet

:mad:

I have been to Super Potato 3 times, and each time, had zero Atari 2800's. Damn it...

Yes, that place is amazing. Is Michael Jackson's Moonwalker still playing as one of the game displays for the genesis? It did for at least a year for when I was there.

I love that place...

If I plan a trip out to Japan next year from New Jersey, what airport would you think I should land in?

Where are some other good places to visit? (I'm only interested in old video games really, well and possibly seeing some wacky japanese toys and vending machines)

Do they have guides I can pay?

It's a far flight to there, but I get 2 weeks vacation every year. Maybe I'll fly out to my Mom's in Hawaii and stay for a week, then take the 9 hour flight to Japan. Or maybe I'll skip my Mom's and just go from here.

It's a shame there's not many people who import the stuff. I used to know someone back in the day when I worked for Funco Land he would come in every week. He could get me crazy multicarts like 200 in 1, but he said they didn't really have 200 games. The cartridge I had at the time had like 64 in 1 and all different games, so the only way I'd have bought a 200 in 1 is if they were all diff.

Yes, that place is amazing. Is Michael Jackson's Moonwalker still playing as one of the game displays for the genesis?

I think so! I didn't even notice it at the time but now that I comb through my memories, I do think I saw it playing.

If I plan a trip out to Japan next year from New Jersey, what airport would you think I should land in?

In Japan? There's really only one you can choose from, and that's Narita. Assuming you're going to Tokyo, I mean. Haneda is only for domestic flights and now I think a couple flights to China.

Where are some other good places to visit? (I'm only interested in old video games really, well and possibly seeing some wacky japanese toys and vending machines)

For both old games and wacky toys, it's pretty much all going to be Akihabara. Vending machines too. I mean if that's really all you're interested in, you could just spend a week there and never leave the neighborhood. But there's other fun stuff to do around Tokyo...

There is one really great place for wacky toys in Akihabara, and I don't remember the name of it now but I will post an update later here. It's like five stories worth of nothing but crazy weird crap. I wish I'd taken some photos inside, but I got photos of the outside, at least, so you know what to look for. I'll post them when I get home.

Do they have guides I can pay?

Yes, but I really don't know much about setting this up.

I had no idea they had an arcade on the 5th floor........ damn it.

It would have been quite a treat playing classics in japan...

We went up there and it was honestly kind of disappointing. For one thing, the place was just filled with smoke. Smoking is still pretty prevalent in Japan and anywhere it's allowed, it's like you need a gas mask. But also, there weren't very many games and the ones they had were retro Japanese games, not retro games we'd think of as retro games. There were a lot of weird anime-style puzzle games, for example. (I love some games like that, I just didn't even know the ones they had.) And most of them were not even that old; I mean early to mid-90's seemed as old as they got. I probably missed a few - we didn't look around too thoroughly - but that's what they had nearest to the door.

Haha, that's awesome, that its still playing. You'd think that cartridge would have been worn out by now...

As for the classics, it still would have been cool to see newer games in tabletop arcade machines.

And yes I am quite aware, they smoke like a chimney.

• 1 month later...
Ok, in Japan, but still. A loooooooooooooong time ago, I posted that you can find Atari 2800's literally sitting boxed on the floor at retailers in Tokyo and nobody believed me. Well, here you go:

1ea2e1f4.jpg

They had another one in a glass case, but this one was just lying out. They were both about 30,000 yen, or around $270.

This was at Super Potato in Akihabara, if anyone cares to go.

It's not there anymore, who knows why. ;)post-9085-1193830911_thumb.jpg

And this is the one in the glass case, along with the Woody. post-9085-1193830898_thumb.jpg

They also had the Video Pinball post-9085-1193830929_thumb.jpg and I have even found one Lynx game there, I think it was Chip's Challenge.

If anyone is interested I can post a detailed map with instructions where to find the Super Potato store. Boy it wasn't easy to find, I even had to use one Japanese phrase to get the information after an hour's errantry. :)

Enjoy the game show. I wish I had Paypal and a few hundred bucks...you'd have some funds magically appear with a request to bring a 2800 back. :D

Me too (well, I got paypall, but no money at the moment )

That kinda shows me what it looks like though. I always assumed the 26JR was probably the Japanese system repackeged in the US It's a totally different design though. Would be interesting to see some closeups of it though, and I can't tell what the controller is supposed to be, lioks like a Gemini pad from waht little I could see...

Sears released a version of the 2800. The controller port is electrically wired up like the Gemini, with one paddle per port. The normal 2600 is wired up with two paddles each on the first two ports, and none on 3 and 4.

sys_SearsVideoArcade2.jpg

I have one of these, and I would just LOVE to replace the telegames faceplate with a 2800 faceplate. I've checked and that was one of the main differences. I've talked to Brad at Best Electronics... no, they don't have any faceplates. :(