IGNORED

Possible two different Quadrun cartridges?

keilbaca

Hello all,

I have been pondering about this (and going after the 5th ghost's Quadrun world record :twisted: ), and I believe there may be two different Quadrun roms, just very slight however, nothing in gameplay.

I was reading on Atarimania about how Steve Woita forgot the easter egg on how to change the name of Crazed Wave to Woita Wave. However, the ROM that's floating around (and that he has uploaded) has Woita Wave that pops up.

The 2nd thing is that I used to own a Best Electronics Quadrun, and I opened it up. There is a legit ROM (not EPROM) inside of there, from Atari (FireTiger has it now), and when played, it also says Woita Wave.

So, my question is, has early released Quadrun carts (or later for that matter) have the Woita Wave defaulted?

I'm asking this because I don't want to get my record pulled in case this does shed to light for having a Woita Wave instead of Crazed Wave or get my video denied because of Woita Wave, and if it does get pulled because of Woita Wave, that means I need to find a Quadrun that has Crazed Wave.

Can anyone else shed any light to this?

Edited by keilbaca

I would tend to think that the regularly released Quarduns would have the Crazed Wave.

Hey, you can always borrow mine! But expect a fight for that record! :twisted:

You're on :cool:

Yes, there are two different version of Quadrun out there. One of them was just recently dumped.

Mitch

Hmmm, so then my video shouldn't get rejected then. Cool, I'll start doing recording runs in the very near future.

Yes, there are two different version of Quadrun out there. One of them was just recently dumped.
Mitch, do you have a link to that dump or could you post me the .bin?

8)

OK, here are the two Quadrun dumps I have.

Quadrunold should be the dump that has been floating around the internet for quite a few years. It's unknown who dumped it, it may possibly be a proto dump or the Best Electronics version.

Quadrunnew is the new dump done a couple months ago from a production Quadrun cart.

I should note that I did not dump either of them, merely passing them along.

Mitch

QUADRUN.zip

This post made up my mind for me that it was time to rip the fake lab loaner label off my Best Quadrun and see what was inside.

post-9507-1190944497_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944515_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944536_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944549_thumb.jpg

Of late I had assumed it was a fake entirely, but is this a legetimate Atari produced chip? I'm not very good at the game (damn yo-yo stage still gets me), so I can't say which version it is based in game play. I'll keep trying.

This post made up my mind for me that it was time to rip the fake lab loaner label off my Best Quadrun and see what was inside.

post-9507-1190944497_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944515_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944536_thumb.jpgpost-9507-1190944549_thumb.jpg

Of late I had assumed it was a fake entirely, but is this a legetimate Atari produced chip? I'm not very good at the game (damn yo-yo stage still gets me), so I can't say which version it is based in game play. I'll keep trying.

That looks nothing like my old lab loaner. It looks like a regular prom. I would hazard a guess and say a non-professional soldered it to the board. Ask CPUWIZ. He'll know for sure.

My 2¢: That's a genuine production mask rom hand-soldered to a genuine PCB, then installed in a genuine case (possibly the wrong style?) and given a fake Lab Loaner label by Best Electronics. It might be worth about what a real production Quadrun cart without labels would be worth.

That's exactly what I had, and it said Woita Wave.

EDIT: I just played the new dumped version, and it definitely feels like its more polished. Gameplay is faster, and there's no screen flicker at all when the voice comes on and off, unlike the old version. I made 40k in no time. However, I did notice, when it said crazed wave, there was a 2 pixel line to the right of the wave. Is this normal?

Edited by keilbaca

However, I did notice, when it said crazed wave, there was a 2 pixel line to the right of the wave. Is this normal?

Does anyone have a production run Quadrun cart they can dump to confirm this line that Keilbaca noticed? Surely someone that has access to a dumper also has the production (not proto) cart and can verify the dump.

Edit: if someone does this please post the rom too so we can compare it with Clonespy and HOM3 against the new dump. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Omegamatrix

However, I did notice, when it said crazed wave, there was a 2 pixel line to the right of the wave. Is this normal?

Does anyone have a production run Quadrun cart they can dump to confirm this line that Keilbaca noticed? Surely someone that has access to a dumper also has the production (not proto) cart and can verify the dump.

Edit: if someone does this please post the rom too so we can compare it with Clonespy and HOM3 against the new dump. Thanks in advance.

Disregard, I must have been half asleep or something. I played it again, and its not there.