IGNORED

The Lost Super Mario Bros Game...

A Sprite

One of three Mario games only available for the Japanese PC88, Super Mario Bros. Special deserves to be rediscovered...

post-12969-1191282720_thumb.png

Though the challenge is closer to Lost Levels, and there's no scrolling; it's still got that "One more try" vibe.

Now that it can be found on the net, has anyone else ever played it?

Edited by A Sprite

I think I played this on the MSX! There was also some funky game on the NES called All-Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. with some goofball comedian replacing Mario. Try figuring THAT one out!

Was that a hack? As far as I know, this is the only licensed Super Mario Bros. platformer game not made by Nintendo.

actually, i just found out about this game on Digg, or something like last week. I played it, and it sucks.

I thought the same, until I changed the settings on the emulator's screen refresh from 60 to 30 - it still flickered, but played more like the NES game.

Edited by A Sprite

As far as I know, this is the only licensed Super Mario Bros. platformer game not made by Nintendo.

And it shows. This version is terrible! It plays like something that you'd see on the C64 or Apple II.

Tempest

That's because it's on a computer older than both, not a game console. No sprites, no scrolling.

Apologies for my love of these kinds of games, it's entirely nostalgia based, I'm beginning to suspect. My school only had an Apple, long after everyone else switched to PC.

I'll make it up to you guys with the next one. ;)

Edited by A Sprite

This version is terrible!
this game is impossible!

Yup, sure is.

It plays like something that you'd see on the C64

Please. Don't insult the C64 like that. It can do much better then this turd.

Edited by Artlover

All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. is a version of Super Mario Bros. with graphics based upon a radio show, called 'All Night Nippon', that was very popular in Japan in 1986. It was released for the Famicom Disk System.

The game, which was released only in Japan, was a special promotional version that was given away by the Japanese radio station 'All Night Nippon' in raffles in 1986. The game borrows levels from Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese version), and Vs. Super Mario Bros. The enemies and the mushroom retainers at the end of Bowser's forts are replaced with Japanese music idols, famous recording artists, and DJs, as well as other people related to 'All Night Nippon'.

I have all night nippon as a ROM dump in a SMB Cart, it was made at http://www.nesreproductions.com/ I also picked up Super Mario Bros 2 (JAP) while I was there

Play "The Great Giana Sisters". That plays quite well for the C64. Now do a YouTube search for the game. You'll see how difficult the game is. One of the biggest downfalls (aside from the horrid collision detection, hence entering horizontal pipes while in midair) is the lack of scrolling ability in the NEC PC8801. The game is just.. <Charlie Brown> AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </Charlie Brown>

Play "The Great Giana Sisters". That plays quite well for the C64. Now do a YouTube search for the game. You'll see how difficult the game is.

Glad someone else suggested this too. Great game, but yeah, hard as shit sometimes.

One of the biggest downfalls (aside from the horrid collision detection, hence entering horizontal pipes while in midair) is the lack of scrolling ability in the NEC PC8801. The game is just.. <Charlie Brown> AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! </Charlie Brown>

Yeah, I don't think the emulator is the problem here. The problem is the limitations of the NEC PC8801.

Here are some other games, that play like crap (and honestly look better as screen shots then they do when playing).

post-2829-1191389080_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1191389084_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1191389090_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1191389094_thumb.jpgpost-2829-1191389098_thumb.jpg