IGNORED

5200 8bitdomain Mod Got!

Android8675

Woot! Got my 5200 mod from 8-bit domain. Now the only problem is their install guide that's supposed to be on their site is nowhere to be found.

Anyone installed one of these before and might have some sort of guide to install it? Looks really simple. Help me Obi-wan kenobi...

Thank you all, I knew that file was around somewhere, I had a copy of it and misplaced it or deleted it or something.

Yes, the 5200 is socketed, but even if it was not, I have taken to practice soldering and have gotten quite adept with a desoldering tool. I also work at a cable builder shop, so I can grab IC sockets if I need them, and worse case scenario, there's a sweet old Vietnamese lady who taught me everything I know about soldering. :P

Only thing I'm concerned with is the 5200's current video output looks terrible, gonna pseudo hook up the upgrade and if it doesn't improve I'll have to get online and find another 5200.

I also suspect my copy of Adventure 2 is bad, hope the warranty holds out.

Two questions -

1 - I notice that the output comes out in three RCA jacks. What do you plug these jacks into? I mean, do you need to make a cable from these three jacks to S-Video or something? It does not appear that it is acutal composite color out which is normally one RCA jack.

2 - Can you still buy this mod from 8-bit if you want it? Much of the reason that I am not playing my 5200 as much as I would like is the simple fact that the output over the RF is really bad and it makes the games harder to play because of a bad pciture.

Two questions -

1 - I notice that the output comes out in three RCA jacks. What do you plug these jacks into? I mean, do you need to make a cable from these three jacks to S-Video or something? It does not appear that it is acutal composite color out which is normally one RCA jack.

2 - Can you still buy this mod from 8-bit if you want it? Much of the reason that I am not playing my 5200 as much as I would like is the simple fact that the output over the RF is really bad and it makes the games harder to play because of a bad pciture.

One is Video like what comes out of an NES and the other two are Composite(Luma and Chroma) which is what is used on computers like the Commodore 64 or Atari 8-bit line of computers. So basiclly it gives you a choice. If you have a modern tube TV you'll probable have an input for the first one.

If you're RF is so bad that you have a hard time seeing it, there might be something wrong. As far as buying the 5200 mode, I still think you can get them from 8bitdomain (It will just take a while).

Allan

Allan

I finally received mine today. I think the guy sent me a mod with short wires out of spite... I couldn't reach the jack on the circuit board, forcing me to solder in bridge wires. Whee, fun! :ponder:

A few hours later, I had the mod mostly installed. I've just got two issues... I received a mod with an S-video jack instead of chroma and luma jacks. That's good, but what's bad is that there's also a composite jack with a dangling wire. Where do I attach this? I suppose I could just solder it to the chroma and luma wires, but it's a messy way to take care of the problem. Is there a single place I can attach this wire?

Also, I'm noticing the same issues with this mod as I did my 2600 Jr. mod from days gone by. There's this venetian blinds effect that's really distracting. It doesn't happen with blacks, whites, or grays, but it's VERY noticeable with bright colors. I guess it's a chroma problem, but I don't know how to fix it! Could my high-def television be to blame? Someone please help!

I finally received mine today. I think the guy sent me a mod with short wires out of spite... I couldn't reach the jack on the circuit board, forcing me to solder in bridge wires. Whee, fun! :ponder:

A few hours later, I had the mod mostly installed. I've just got two issues... I received a mod with an S-video jack instead of chroma and luma jacks. That's good, but what's bad is that there's also a composite jack with a dangling wire. Where do I attach this? I suppose I could just solder it to the chroma and luma wires, but it's a messy way to take care of the problem. Is there a single place I can attach this wire?

Also, I'm noticing the same issues with this mod as I did my 2600 Jr. mod from days gone by. There's this venetian blinds effect that's really distracting. It doesn't happen with blacks, whites, or grays, but it's VERY noticeable with bright colors. I guess it's a chroma problem, but I don't know how to fix it! Could my high-def television be to blame? Someone please help!

I thought one of the pins was composite, but I would have to dig and find the zip file he sent me.

I actually only have the composite hooked up on mine at the moment since my monitor doesn't do svideo (only composite and rgb). I hope to eventually get an s-video jack to mount instead of two rca's for that in the future. I thought the picture was pretty good on mine, but almost a little too bright (unlike my mod for the 7800 which seems to have too strong a color signal in the composite).

I could not get the clip to attach good for the sound, so I did remove it and solder a wire (had to extend the original).

The other wires were plenty long enough on mine. I dont think the colors matched the docs completely though IIRC.

--Ken

That's good, but what's bad is that there's also a composite jack with a dangling wire. Where do I attach this? I suppose I could just solder it to the chroma and luma wires, but it's a messy way to take care of the problem. Is there a single place I can attach this wire?

IIRC, on at least one of the video mods the loose jack had a pin conductor on its other end that could slide into an empty slot on the molex connector to the video board for composite vid.

I think A.J. (i think it was A.J.) explained that the lines are there in the RF signal but the are unnoticeable due to the fuzziness nature of RF. With S-video the picture becomes sharp and the lines are visible. I stumbled into a semi-fix when trying to get composite and S-Video outputs. The lines are still there but they are softer and less noticeable.

I attached some pictures of the mod I am using. Some of the vertical lines are caused by the camera and some are there. Taking pictures of TVs is rough.

post-12783-1192510505_thumb.jpg

post-12783-1192510513_thumb.jpg

I hooked up the Atari to my PC via S-Video and I was able to pick up the faint lines. So its not LCD screens but the Atari itself

post-12783-1192511190_thumb.jpg

I suppose I could, although I don't think the picture would turn out very well. I'm not sure it matters at this point, because I connected my 5200 to an old CRT monitor and it looked fantastic on it. This has got to be an LCD monitor thing, because the vertical lines are so indiscernible on a CRT that they're practically non-existent. This is the first time in a long time that I wish I still had my 27" tube television... there are some things you can do with a CRT that you just can't do with a liquid crystal display.

All where taken with S-Video.

Talking about the third picture? The image looks nothing like it does on a TV. For some reason my computer dulls down the colors and likes to smear the image. I just hooked it up to see if the image would still have vertical lines. In real life it looks almost exactly like the pictures of the TV.

Edited by Longhorn Engineer