IGNORED

top 5 titles of all time on 5200

phuzaxeman

in no particular order 4 me:

space dungeon - this game is the reason to own the 5200

centipede - w/trackball this version during the 80's was amazing. sounds, controll, gameplay, excellent

baseball - easily one of (if not) the best sports baseball game of that era

gremlins - another gem and reason to own a 5200. graphics, sound, gameplay, mint!

countermeasure - an original masterpiece. i love this game. when you think about, there wasn't anything like it when it released.

what about u?

Edited by phuzaxeman

Hmm... let's see...

MOON PATROL: A fantastic translation of the Irem arcade game despite blocky graphics.

MEGAMANIA: The best vertical shooter available for the Atari 5200, with awesome visuals and plenty of challenge.

MOUNTAIN KING: It's fun to explore the craggy cliffs in this game... too bad it doesn't work with 2 port consoles!

PAC-MAN: One of the best early translations of the Namco classic. It's faithful to the original yet has a look and feel all its own.

DONKEY KONG: Screw the ColecoVision version! This has everything that game lacked, including the elusive fourth stage.

I'm going to do this pretending that I've never seen any of these games on an 8-bit...

1) Dig-Dug -- good translation

2) Joust -- Definitely a different game than the arcade version, but I LIKED using the 5200 controllers for this one--the flapping felt natural

3) Rescue on Fractalas

4) Ballblazer --both LucasArts games really amazed me when I was young

5) Bounty Bob Strikes Back -- rarity AND a great game

Hmm... let's see...

MOON PATROL: A fantastic translation of the Irem arcade game despite blocky graphics.

MEGAMANIA: The best vertical shooter available for the Atari 5200, with awesome visuals and plenty of challenge.

MOUNTAIN KING: It's fun to explore the craggy cliffs in this game... too bad it doesn't work with 2 port consoles!

PAC-MAN: One of the best early translations of the Namco classic. It's faithful to the original yet has a look and feel all its own.

DONKEY KONG: Screw the ColecoVision version! This has everything that game lacked, including the elusive fourth stage.

My favorites:

1. Montezuma's Revenge: Great version of a great platform adventure.

2. Ballblazer: Gameplay, graphics, and sound all top notch for the times.

3. Moon Patrol: I agree with Jess on this one.

4. Defender: This is my favorite classic console version of this game.

5. Star Raiders:...and I haven't even completely figured out how to play it yet.

Wow, no love for Adventure II in this thread?

Score your games here!

My favorites are Qix, Moon Patrol, Centipede & Missile Command (with trakball), and Kangaroo. :D

I havent got my copy yet but that trade should be finished up this week as its part of a large deal. I cant wait to play it. And yes, Robotron has to be in there as well.

Oh, good point...how did I leave out Robotron? Just 5 is tough!

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Jr. Pac-Man

Robotron

Wizard Of Wor

Missile Command(Track-ball Controller)

I would never have put Robotron 2084 on that list. Neh-vah. It's choppier than a cracked out Bobby Flay attacking a plate of green onions with a chainsaw. Maybe it plays better with twin joysticks, but all the joysticks in the world aren't going to change the way the Doctor and the Grunts jerk awkwardly across the screen. It's much smarter to go with the Atari 7800 version of Robotron: 2084... it looks like the arcade game, and more importantly, it PLAYS like the arcade game.

My list. Criteria = had to be available in the day. Protos and new homebrews don't make that list.

Space Dungeon

Joust

Montezumas Revenge

Defender

Robotron

Robotron is choppy.. but you know what, back in the day, it didn't seem that way. Once you get past that, it's an excellent home port translation. And with the dual stick action it was an excellent choice for a Robotron Fix in 1982. If you know of any other that was available then, let me know ;)

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Jr. Pac-Man

Robotron

Wizard Of Wor

I would never have put Robotron 2084 on that list. Neh-vah. It's choppier than a cracked out Bobby Flay attacking a plate of green onions with a chainsaw. Maybe it plays better with twin joysticks, but all the joysticks in the world aren't going to change the way the Doctor and the Grunts jerk awkwardly across the screen. It's much smarter to go with the Atari 7800 version of Robotron: 2084... it looks like the arcade game, and more importantly, it PLAYS like the arcade game.

no way, robotron for the 5200 beats the 7800 in so many ways.....

sound- 5200. has better sound. the crash on the 7800 sounds like 2600 sounds. the cool transitions sound great too...

gameplay-5200. both are good but the 5200 is faster and plays more like the arcade.

graphics-7800. graphics are more refined/smoother on the 7800 but the 5200 still looks good for that time.

controlls-5200. easily. working 5200 controllers on the 5200 makes this one of the best games ever on the 5200 as far as contollers are concerned. feels more like the arcade. dual action kills the 7800.

i have both versions including playing it on mame. 5200 hands down is a lot more fun to play. having the dual analog controllers, the 5200 was built to play robotron.

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Jr. Pac-Man

Robotron

Wizard Of Wor

no way, robotron for the 5200 beats the 7800 in so many ways.....

sound- 5200. has better sound. the crash on the 7800 sounds like 2600 sounds. the cool transitions sound great too...

gameplay-5200. both are good but the 5200 is faster and plays more like the arcade.

graphics-7800. graphics are more refined/smoother on the 7800 but the 5200 still looks good for that time.

controlls-5200. easily. working 5200 controllers on the 5200 makes this one of the best games ever on the 5200 as far as contollers are concerned. feels more like the arcade. dual action kills the 7800.

i have both versions including playing it on mame. 5200 hands down is a lot more fun to play. having the dual analog controllers, the 5200 was built to play robotron.

Just five? Nuts to that!

BALLBLAZER (the manual is half the fun)

RESCUE ON FRACTALUS (ditto on the manual, LucasFilms group did a great job)

XEVIOUS (yeah, a proto but everyone has one now, right? PS my score on Twin Galaxies stands!)

RIVER RAID (my favorite for personal reasons)

CENTIPEDE (they got this one right)

MILLIPEDE (even better)

MS PAC MAN (awesome port)

BBSB (need I say more?)

PITFALL II (een though it's a carbon of the 2600 it's still good)

GALAXIAN (another score at Twin Galaxies)

and that's only ten! Okay, back to my mushroom.