IGNORED

Nes eprom cart help

Nerdy Nick

Hi everybody,

ive been wanting to make eprom carts for the nes & snes for a while now and finally decided to do it...

I tried making a earthbound zero cart and it doesn't work :( So i was hoping somebody on here to tell me where i went wrong...

i used alan d's guide for the soldering ,and i used a hex editer to remove the header and windows command tool to split the rom into chr and prg.

These are things i think i may be wrong

1. I got a bit of solder on on of the contacts. would this stop it from working?

2. When i was deleting the header with a hex editor i saw futher down in the code there was a line that said ''this rom has been hacked by...''etc) i deleted that aswell. would that have done anything?

3. my soldering just could be bad ( god i hope so)

i put some pics up of the soldered cart tommorow

thanks,

Nerdy nick

Edited by Nerdy Nick

Ok, i compared the files i burnt to the eprom to the ones i SHOULD have burnt and they are 100% the same, so it cant be the eproms

Im pretty sure my solderings good (see pics) so it has to be the cart connector

SO in an effort to get what i thought was solder off i scratched it and made it worse :(

so is it my soldering, the connector or both? if so what have i done wrong and can if fix the cart?

The second pic shows the damaged connectors

post-16107-1191880241_thumb.jpg

post-16107-1191880415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nerdy Nick

Ok, i compared the files i burnt to the eprom to the ones i SHOULD have burnt and they are 100% the same, so it cant be the eproms

SO in an effort to get what i thought was solder off i scratched it and made it worse :(

so is it my soldering, the connector or both? if so what have i done wrong and can if fix the cart?

I'd recommend using thinner gauge wire for one. Good luck. I'd love to be able to make nes eprom carts.

I'm not an NES expert but I'm guessing it's one of two things. First, you need to make sure that your donor cart uses the same mapper as the your new game. If you verified that and it's correct then it's probably your soldering job. The edge connector doesn't look like it suffered much damage.

Mitch

I'm not an NES expert but I'm guessing it's one of two things. First, you need to make sure that your donor cart uses the same mapper as the your new game. If you verified that and it's correct then it's probably your soldering job. The edge connector doesn't look like it suffered much damage.

Mitch

Yep im using the right donor, & even though its messy im 99% sure the solderings right. i just ordered a new 72pin connector because my nes has been acting up abit lately anyway. if it doesn't work after that il scrap it a make a new one..but it would be good if i could get this one going though

Are you 100% sure the ROM you burned works, ie is the chip OK?

I have burned several in the past that verify OK, but do not work, maybe you could burn another?

It may be worth your time to socket the PCB so you can do a quick check before soldering the chip into another PCB, use it like a test cart on future ROM's

Edited by mimo

Are you 100% sure you have the right ROM? and split it the right way? By the old guide I used to have, it was suggested only to use the original Earthbound dump and not the later hacked version that makes the ROM works with emulator or added "Zero" to the title.

Damn... i burnt the the hacked version. do you still have the guide handy?

Are you 100% sure the ROM you burned works, ie is the chip OK?

I have burned several in the past that verify OK, but do not work, maybe you could burn another?

It may be worth your time to socket the PCB so you can do a quick check before soldering the chip into another PCB, use it like a test cart on future ROM's

Yeah this is actually what this was a test cart, if i got it all working i was gonna burn it to another

(sorry for the double post i dont know how to delete them)

Edited by Nerdy Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the solder side photo, it seems to me the soldering of the black wire (left of the red wire) on the left hand eprom socket inadvertently bridged 2 pins. The soldering on the top row of the right hand socket looks like it might have an unwanted bridge as well. Check them with your multimeter.

re-atari