IGNORED

What 2600 Game Would You Like To See Ported To The 5200?

TunnelRunner

Venture

Crazy Climber (w/dual controller holder)

Crystle Castles (Trackball controll)

Tempest

Cloak and Dagger

Sinistar

Hockey

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Allan

Allan...patience! Tempest is coming ;) And Crystal Castles was ported from the 800 but I never tried the Trak Ball (doesn't work?). And yeah, I thought about Raiders too. Let's get Howard stoked up!

I know. I can even smell it now that it's so close. :)

There are two version of CC for the 5200 but neither use the trackball. :( (Please somebody hack one of them.)

I'd be happy if Howard would just either put out a 'Once Upon Atari -- The Cut (Lost) Interviews' or just right a book with more details. But yea a Raiders would be cool but probably impossible because it's a property. Maybe we can settle for a 5200 Yars Revenge.

Allan

CCastles works best with a paddle! :)

Edited by Phantom

• 4 weeks later...
Venture

Crazy Climber (w/dual controller holder)

Crystle Castles (Trackball controll)

Tempest

Cloak and Dagger

Sinistar

Hockey

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Allan

Allan...patience! Tempest is coming ;) And Crystal Castles was ported from the 800 but I never tried the Trak Ball (doesn't work?). And yeah, I thought about Raiders too. Let's get Howard stoked up!

I know. I can even smell it now that it's so close. :)

There are two version of CC for the 5200 but neither use the trackball. :( (Please somebody hack one of them.)

I'd be happy if Howard would just either put out a 'Once Upon Atari -- The Cut (Lost) Interviews' or just right a book with more details. But yea a Raiders would be cool but probably impossible because it's a property. Maybe we can settle for a 5200 Yars Revenge.

Allan

CCastles works best with a paddle! :)

How could you play Crystle Castles with a paddle?? :|

Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I think a 5200 Yars Revenge would be cool with Trackball controller functionality.

Peace

I was wondering why Yar's Revenge was never made for the 5200/800 line... then again I'm not sure how much 'better' you can get above the 2600 without taking away it's near-perfection play. (imo of course). Didn't it sell well enough or maybe it was just overlooked?

1 Swordquest Earthworld

2 Swordquest Fireworld

3 Swordquest Waterworld

4 Swordquest Airworld

5 He-Man

6 The Lord Of The Rings

7 The Last Starfighter

8 ET

9 Krull

10 Tron

11 Yar's Revenge

12 Superman

13 Raiders Of The Lost Ark

They have an Atari 8bit version of Superman 2600. Its looks prety much the same except no flicker. But I wouldnt mind having it ported to the Atari 5200.

They also have ET on the Atari 8bit. Much better then the Atari 2600 version. Same concept except you play as Elliot. The reason I am bringing up the Atari 8bit is because they could be converted.

Hi, I'm new here my name is Randall but you can call me RD it is shorter well anyways I did not know where to start until I found this thread ;), so now that the intro is over.

I think it would be cool if there was a port of pressure cooker and private eye to the 5200.

provided that do not exist already that is :)

RD

• 3 weeks later...
I'd also love to see a 5200 Yars Revenge. I can just imagine the various Qotile castles one could construct, and having a blast destroying them.

Okay Ron, there's a project for you! Actually, I asked HSW if he would be interested in working on such a project with a new-age 5200 programmer. He seemed genuinely interested. I don't think he's seen this thread, but he'd get a kick out of how many said "Yar's".

6. Double Dragon - because the 7800 wasn't able to do it justice.

LOL - I'm not exactly convinced that the 7800 version was "all it could be" or that having it on the 5200 would result in a better translation. I know, I know, I'm ducking under the inevitable rants about POKEY sound, but cmon guys - how is the 5200 going to pull off a good DOUBLE DRAGON as is, with the graphics hardware that it has? If some programmer wants to prove me wrong, go nuts.

Imagineering didn't exactly have a great track record. Look at DD compared to the stuff done by Sculptured Software (ie. Commando) or Blue Sky (ie. Xenophobe, Klax). Those houses should have got the assignment, not the boobs who did TITLE MATCH PRO WRESTLING and SUPER SKATEBOARDIN'.

At least they did a better job with Ikari Warriors

6. Double Dragon - because the 7800 wasn't able to do it justice.

LOL - I'm not exactly convinced that the 7800 version was "all it could be" or that having it on the 5200 would result in a better translation. I know, I know, I'm ducking under the inevitable rants about POKEY sound, but cmon guys - how is the 5200 going to pull off a good DOUBLE DRAGON as is, with the graphics hardware that it has? If some programmer wants to prove me wrong, go nuts.

Imagineering didn't exactly have a great track record. Look at DD compared to the stuff done by Sculptured Software (ie. Commando) or Blue Sky (ie. Xenophobe, Klax). Those houses should have got the assignment, not the boobs who did TITLE MATCH PRO WRESTLING and SUPER SKATEBOARDIN'.

At least they did a better job with Ikari Warriors

Although Double Dragon was not great at all for the 7800, it would be worst on the 5200. It might have better sound, but thats it. Why would anyone think Double Dragon could be better on the 5200. Neither systems could do it justice. Just use MAME!

Definitely Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle. But have it look more like the ColecoVision version, while maintaining the skill level progression of the Atari 2600 version.

I'd like that too! It would be really nice if it would scroll, instead of going screen to screen.

Do you mean scroll as in the ColecoVision version, when you get to screen edge, it all scrolls to new screen? that wouldn't be difficult for the 5200 to pull off, and it would probably scroll more smoothly. Not sure how well the 5200 could match the colors, though. I think the basic engine for Smurf wouldn't take too long at all to program. The artist would have more work (and more fun!).

5200 Smurf and 5200 Yars Revenge sound like the most interesting of all ideas to me. But not direct ports of either -- augmented!