IGNORED

What's on your workbench?

joeventura

Well, I managed to finally get something off my workbench, namely, my 600xl. The keyboard issue turned out to be the ribbon cable. A little resoldering took care of that. Then went on to add the 64K RAM modification. First time ever attempting something like this and HOOHOOO!!! it works! PRINT FRE(0) returns a beautiful 37902! Learned in the process that too much coffee makes soldering more difficult.

• 4 weeks later...
1200 XL awaiting 512K upgrade,clearpic and maybe an internal SIO2SD

800 XL (NTSC) awaiting 256K upgrade and supervideo mod

800 XL (PAL) awaiting 256K upgrade and supervideo mod (it's my Mums, so better not screw it up)

400 two dead ones, need more time to fix them, and do 48k upgrades and little brother grows up mod

7800, 3 Pal ones, awaiting s-video mod, one needs a new case of some kind, maybe turn it into a development system

Sears Heavy sixer, awaiting s-video mod

2600 PAL light sixer, awaiting s-video mod

Xbox, awaiting mod chip and 500 GB hard drive.

5200 awaiting s-video mod

Assorted sticks to repair/mod

Various carts to build

How is everyone doing?

As you can see both of the 800 XLs are done, as is the 5200. One of the 400's is now back in the land of the living :D

Now to add to the list I have a dead XEGS, a 600 XL to video mod and memory upgrade + 32 in 1 OS

a 1050 to do a Lazer upgrade.

Just curious as I walked up to my work table last night and saw my Multi I/O hooked to my 800XL waiting for my Rodime SCSI drive to come in so I could test it and my two ATR8000s that I need to test, was wondering what was sitting on your workbench?

What Atari stuff are you tinkering with, what project do you have underway?

Well it's not on the workbench anymore but I just finished stuffing an 800XL, a Rana 1000 floppy and a few mods into a case from a broken Kaypro 4. The mobo from the Kaypro was bad and I had no luck fixing it, so I decided to use the case for a project. I had the guts from a brand new 9 inch amber composite monitor in the closet. It bolted right up to the Kaypro case. I used an 800XL mobo with the Super Video 2.1 mods installed. If you haven't done this mod, you should. The picture is fantastic. The mobo is mounted in a similar fashion to the original, horizontally across the top. An Atari 1050 wouldn't fit in the case but I trimmed up a Rana 1000 and mounted it on it's side. I installed a Warp+ OS 32-in-1 Module so the thing would have all kinds of compatibility. I replaced the BASIC rom with a 27C1001 eprom loaded with Atari BASIC rev.C, Assember Editor, and 14 games. I switched the top address line with a toggle switch and called in Bank Select and switched the other address lines with a BCD switch removed from an old SCSI device. Each bank has 8 selections. That worked out nice. I built in an SIO2PC circuit and mounted a 25 pin female connec tor on the back because I have a box of them. I added the Freezer reset mod and mounted the switch on the front so you can change roms and reset without turning off the power. I mounted the Atari keyboard inside the Kaypro keyboard case and once again used 25 pin female connectors so a serial cable can be used to hook up the keyboard. It's nice to be able to lean back in a chair with the keyboard on your lap. There's a hole in the top of the case for cartridge access and an SIO connector mounted on back so I still have all the original Atari connectivity options. The color video including separate video (S-Video) and audio are available at the original DIN connector on the back. I added a speaker and an audio amplifier internally so the unit is fully functional as a standalone with the exception of the monochrome video. I wish that I had a good 9 inch color monitor to use. I fed the luma video output to the composite input of the monitor and the video is extremely sharp. I had a small switching power supply that had 12V 1 amp and 5V 1.5 amp outputs. The monitor power is switchable so if you use an external device it can be turned off. I used the original power supply from the Rana 1000 and strapped it to the bottom of the case. I think that this was the nicest project that I ever did but I did run into some problems. The video looked great on the bench but when I put the mobo in the case, all kinds of distortion occurred. The problem was that the video lines had to be moved to the back away from the monitor. The floppy also worked on the bench and quit in the case. After more than a few swear words, I mounted a thin metal shield vertically between the monitor and the floppy and that cured the problem. I have attached some pictures.

kaypromod.zip

Very nice!

Kay Pro shells are extremely rugged and metal for the most part.. Not the easiest mod I'd say!!!

I'd like to try that with an old silver Tandy model 1 or 2.

Just curious as I walked up to my work table last night and saw my Multi I/O hooked to my 800XL waiting for my Rodime SCSI drive to come in so I could test it and my two ATR8000s that I need to test, was wondering what was sitting on your workbench?

What Atari stuff are you tinkering with, what project do you have underway?

Well it's not on the workbench anymore but I just finished stuffing an 800XL, a Rana 1000 floppy and a few mods into a case from a broken Kaypro 4. The mobo from the Kaypro was bad and I had no luck fixing it, so I decided to use the case for a project. I had the guts from a brand new 9 inch amber composite monitor in the closet. It bolted right up to the Kaypro case. I used an 800XL mobo with the Super Video 2.1 mods installed. If you haven't done this mod, you should. The picture is fantastic. The mobo is mounted in a similar fashion to the original, horizontally across the top. An Atari 1050 wouldn't fit in the case but I trimmed up a Rana 1000 and mounted it on it's side. I installed a Warp+ OS 32-in-1 Module so the thing would have all kinds of compatibility. I replaced the BASIC rom with a 27C1001 eprom loaded with Atari BASIC rev.C, Assember Editor, and 14 games. I switched the top address line with a toggle switch and called in Bank Select and switched the other address lines with a BCD switch removed from an old SCSI device. Each bank has 8 selections. That worked out nice. I built in an SIO2PC circuit and mounted a 25 pin female connec tor on the back because I have a box of them. I added the Freezer reset mod and mounted the switch on the front so you can change roms and reset without turning off the power. I mounted the Atari keyboard inside the Kaypro keyboard case and once again used 25 pin female connectors so a serial cable can be used to hook up the keyboard. It's nice to be able to lean back in a chair with the keyboard on your lap. There's a hole in the top of the case for cartridge access and an SIO connector mounted on back so I still have all the original Atari connectivity options. The color video including separate video (S-Video) and audio are available at the original DIN connector on the back. I added a speaker and an audio amplifier internally so the unit is fully functional as a standalone with the exception of the monochrome video. I wish that I had a good 9 inch color monitor to use. I fed the luma video output to the composite input of the monitor and the video is extremely sharp. I had a small switching power supply that had 12V 1 amp and 5V 1.5 amp outputs. The monitor power is switchable so if you use an external device it can be turned off. I used the original power supply from the Rana 1000 and strapped it to the bottom of the case. I think that this was the nicest project that I ever did but I did run into some problems. The video looked great on the bench but when I put the mobo in the case, all kinds of distortion occurred. The problem was that the video lines had to be moved to the back away from the monitor. The floppy also worked on the bench and quit in the case. After more than a few swear words, I mounted a thin metal shield vertically between the monitor and the floppy and that cured the problem. I have attached some pictures.