IGNORED

How does the 5200 compare to the NES?

A Sprite

Actually this topic is called how does the 5200 compare to the NES? not "My Atari 5200 is the better system" as you suggested, and to further the point i started to make in the Jag thread systems like the PSX and Nintendo have benefited from long healthy sales runs of consoles and deep pockets in their marketing/development departments. The 2600 is the only system that Atari had that enjoyed a full healthy life and even that system has not reached it's full potential yet as evidenced by the Hacks and Homebrews for it.

Spend a little time as i have and read the posts that folks put up with samples and demos of their projects pushing the Atari/CV/ etc... to their very limits and you will see some incredible things, yes as far as history is concerned NES and PSX were giants in innovation and gameplay but what about their humble competitors? thats where the fine folks here that tinker and test with these systems are realizing that they could have been on par with NES and PSX but sadly they lacked the support to fully realize their potential.

And you are correct on another point this is a forum devoted to Atari so of course we will back our systems to the hilt (David and Goliath) we love our Atari :) so it is only natural if you or anyone else come in and start boasting about the superiority of the NES ad PSX you will ruffle some feathers and rile folks up...but then i suspect you already knew that ;)

Yea I knew I would ruffle it up! LOL! And again I am sorry for being the oddball! LOL! Actually I am waiting for my Atari 5200 to get back from a AV mod. I cant wait to play it!

Who dug this up anyway? :ponder:

There's another thread just like this one, but with the CV as well. I find them rather pointless, but do find humor in some of the comments occasionally.

I know people get pissed about these threads, but for some reason I find them interesting...

Actually this topic is called how does the 5200 compare to the NES? not "My Atari 5200 is the better system" as you suggested, and to further the point i started to make in the Jag thread systems like the PSX and Nintendo have benefited from long healthy sales runs of consoles and deep pockets in their marketing/development departments. The 2600 is the only system that Atari had that enjoyed a full healthy life and even that system has not reached it's full potential yet as evidenced by the Hacks and Homebrews for it.

Spend a little time as i have and read the posts that folks put up with samples and demos of their projects pushing the Atari/CV/ etc... to their very limits and you will see some incredible things, yes as far as history is concerned NES and PSX were giants in innovation and gameplay but what about their humble competitors? thats where the fine folks here that tinker and test with these systems are realizing that they could have been on par with NES and PSX but sadly they lacked the support to fully realize their potential.

And you are correct on another point this is a forum devoted to Atari so of course we will back our systems to the hilt (David and Goliath) we love our Atari :) so it is only natural if you or anyone else come in and start boasting about the superiority of the NES ad PSX you will ruffle some feathers and rile folks up...but then i suspect you already knew that ;)

Yea I knew I would ruffle it up! LOL! And again I am sorry for being the oddball! LOL! Actually I am waiting for my Atari 5200 to get back from a AV mod. I cant wait to play it!

your not the oddball. you have some valid points actually. some people may take some things a little bit more personally than should. you wanna see an oddball (or scapegoat), my posts on the jaguar had a handful of people wanting to hang me :-) lol.

in the end, as long as there is some respect, we all should value each others point of views.

your not the oddball. you have some valid points actually. some people may take some things a little bit more personally than should. you wanna see an oddball (or scapegoat), my posts on the jaguar had a handful of people wanting to hang me :-) lol.

Congratulations, you've been suckered.

i just started reading the jag forums....yeah suckered :-(

Why would you be suckered? I cant speak my mind? I thought that is what forums are for. According the the Jag forum you are hated almost as bad as me. Just look at some of the post from GORF and you know he is practically there GOD! Although you bring better points then me! LOL!

As for the forum at hand.... Atari 5200 could do some of the things the NES could do. But the NES was doing everything else the Atari 5200 could not do and that is why it is the superior system in my eyes. More games although some sucked!

As for the forum at hand.... Atari 5200 could do some of the things the NES could do. But the NES was doing everything else the Atari 5200 could not do and that is why it is the superior system in my eyes. More games although some sucked!

How would the NES display 256 different colors ...?

How would the NES display 256 different colors ...?

Yea the Atari 5200 does have more colors. Although not as bright as the colors used on the NES. Still the ability to make games less blockier with fewer and brighter colors makes a better looking platformer like mario or action rpg like Zelda.

Why would you be suckered? I cant speak my mind? I thought that is what forums are for. According the the Jag forum you are hated almost as bad as me. Just look at some of the post from GORF and you know he is practically there GOD! Although you bring better points then me! LOL!

speaking your mind and flexing you wrestling muscles aint gonna get u respect around here. you also make some personal attacks which isn't too smart either if you want to be taken seriously.

i'm a fanboy for nintendo, sega, and sony too, but atari will always be the most treasured video game company in my book, something most of us on here agree too. i grew up with all the systems so you can understand how many of the atari owners take some of these debates at heart. many trolls that come on here just want to start a fight and really have no experience with atari (other than just recent ebay purchases and youtube/wiki).

speaking your mind and flexing you wrestling muscles aint gonna get u respect around here. you also make some personal attacks which isn't too smart either if you want to be taken seriously.

i'm a fanboy for nintendo, sega, and sony too, but atari will always be the most treasured video game company in my book, something most of us on here agree too. i grew up with all the systems so you can understand how many of the atari owners take some of these debates at heart. many trolls that come on here just want to start a fight and really have no experience with atari (other than just recent ebay purchases and youtube/wiki).

I was born in 1974 and I am very familiar with Atari from the 2600 to Atari 8 bit playing games. My first job was electronic boutique which is now EB games. During that time I sold Commodores, Atari 800's, and the original Nintendo. We had a display showing the differences. I also was there when the Sega Genesis and the Turbographx first came to market. It was a crazy time for gaming. I remember it as if were some of the best times of my life. Then came the Super NES. I was also there when the 3DO and the Jaguar came out. Just because I say NES is superior to me in graphics, doesnt mean I dont like the Atari 5200. Also I didnt come here to flex anything. Those guys have been asking for my attention. Like I said... I dont mind getting bashed on a forum, but keep it at the subject not towards me. I was having a debate and all a sudden I felt like I was in elementary. So I acted accordingly! I have been ony many gaming forums and I have not seen a forum this biased before. Other then Sega Saturn fans who prefer the Japanese voices over the american voices in games. I hate the Japanese voices by the way! Especially the women who sound like kids! I dont understand how you guys can have a forum and not be honest? I honestly dont think Atari 5200 can compete in graphics with the Atari 5200. Atari is a great memory for me. Though I dont have much to say about the Jaguar, because I never had one till recently.

I was born in 1974 and I am very familiar with Atari from the 2600 to Atari 8 bit playing games. My first job was electronic boutique which is now EB games. During that time I sold Commodores, Atari 800's, and the original Nintendo. We had a display showing the differences. I also was there when the Sega Genesis and the Turbographx first came to market. It was a crazy time for gaming. I remember it as if were some of the best times of my life. Then came the Super NES. I was also there when the 3DO and the Jaguar came out. Just because I say NES is superior to me in graphics, doesnt mean I dont like the Atari 5200. Also I didnt come here to flex anything. Those guys have been asking for my attention. Like I said... I dont mind getting bashed on a forum, but keep it at the subject not towards me. I was having a debate and all a sudden I felt like I was in elementary. So I acted accordingly! I have been ony many gaming forums and I have not seen a forum this biased before. Other then Sega Saturn fans who prefer the Japanese voices over the american voices in games. I hate the Japanese voices by the way! Especially the women who sound like kids! I dont understand how you guys can have a forum and not be honest? I honestly dont think Atari 5200 can compete in graphics with the Atari 5200. Atari is a great memory for me. Though I dont have much to say about the Jaguar, because I never had one till recently.

electronic boutique did not sell the 2600 and 5200. they (eb) jumped on the video game scene (after the crash) around the late 80's time. i was around that time and their stores kept computer/phone/gadgets stuff....nor did i ever see the 8bit. atari's mainstream into the market was primarily dept stores like sears and kmart and toy stores.

e.b. did sell nintendo and later atari lynx and jaguar stuff.

being familiar and actually owning and growing up with an atari system is different. that's why people in the forums are pretty passionate. since atari is one of the oldest, you are going to have a lot of loyal fans spanning almost 40 yrs.

electronic boutique did not sell the 2600 and 5200. they (eb) jumped on the video game scene (after the crash) around the late 80's time. i was around that time and their stores kept computer/phone/gadgets stuff....nor did i ever see the 8bit. atari's mainstream into the market was primarily dept stores like sears and kmart and toy stores.

being familiar and actually owning and growing up with an atari system is different. that's why people in the forums are pretty passionate. since atari is one of the oldest, you are going to have a lot of loyal fans spanning almost 40 yrs.

I did not say Electronics boutique sold the Atari 2600 or 5200! Those were sold at Toys R US from what I remember. I said I was there when they had the commodore and the Atari computers as well as the NES. I played the Atari 2600 and 5200. I grew up playing these systems! Why are you questioning me? Dont be a A$$! Yes the electronics boutique had the commodore and Atari computers. I owned both at one time or another. I remember having the game "Times of Lore" on display for the commodore! If you guys are so biased or passionate about the Atari, then ya better stay away from forums like this. If you like your Atari system the best..... then who cares what I say or whoever says. Just stay out of it all together or dont have a forum like this. As for you.... Dont question me as if I am a lyer. You dont know me like that! I dont care if I am the bad guy on a forum. I have been known to be the bad guy in real life so who cares!

I don't believe anyone cares about what or who you are on or off the forums if all you're giving are opinions and attempting at a few facts. The real issue is you're pushing the NES is better than the Atari 5200 agenda when truthfully at this point in time it doesn't matter. I personally enjoy both systems but there's just a lore towards the 5200 that makes it more unique. Maybe instead of trolling a thread you should try adding to the discussion at hand.

I did not say Electronics boutique sold the Atari 2600 or 5200! Those were sold at Toys R US from what I remember. I said I was there when they had the commodore and the Atari computers as well as the NES. I played the Atari 2600 and 5200. I grew up playing these systems! Why are you questioning me? Dont be a A$$! Yes the electronics boutique had the commodore and Atari computers. I owned both at one time or another. I remember having the game "Times of Lore" on display for the commodore! If you guys are so biased or passionate about the Atari, then ya better stay away from forums like this. If you like your Atari system the best..... then who cares what I say or whoever says. Just stay out of it all together or dont have a forum like this. As for you.... Dont question me as if I am a lyer. You dont know me like that! I dont care if I am the bad guy on a forum. I have been known to be the bad guy in real life so who cares!

who's calling you a liar? i could really care less. i could care less if you are worshiped or disliked on the forum. as far as being the bad guy in real life, that's your issue. instead of flexing your nes and sega saturn muscles, how about contributing your knowledge (or lack there of...i dont know) on the atari forums?

I don't believe anyone cares about what or who you are on or off the forums if all you're giving are opinions and attempting at a few facts. The real issue is you're pushing the NES is better than the Atari 5200 agenda when truthfully at this point in time it doesn't matter. I personally enjoy both systems but there's just a lore towards the 5200 that makes it more unique. Maybe instead of trolling a thread you should try adding to the discussion at hand.

Is it not true that the NES produces more sprites then the Atari 5200? So a decent platformer on the NES, such as mario is pulled off better then Atari 5200 could ever pull right? Is it not true that the graphics are more blocky on the Atari 5200? I believe games like Ballblazer would run smother on the Atari 5200. There are more colors on the Atari 5200 although they are not as bright as NES colors. IS that not correct? I have my Atari 5200 plugged into my TV with a S-video mod and the colors are still kind of dim. If I emulate the Atari 5200 with my dreamcast, the colors are more bright and vivid. I dont know why that is. Perhaps its because the dreamcast has a good video card. I play NES on my TV with just a RF cable and the colors are still more birght then the Atari 5200. I test the color with Adventure 2 since that is the most colorful game on Atari 5200 that I have seen. Now what am I saying wrong?????

Is it not true that the NES produces more sprites then the Atari 5200? So a decent platformer on the NES, such as mario is pulled off better then Atari 5200 could ever pull right? Is it not true that the graphics are more blocky on the Atari 5200? I believe games like Ballblazer would run smother on the Atari 5200. There are more colors on the Atari 5200 although they are not as bright as NES colors. IS that not correct? I have my Atari 5200 plugged into my TV with a S-video mod and the colors are still kind of dim. If I emulate the Atari 5200 with my dreamcast, the colors are more bright and vivid. I dont know why that is. Perhaps its because the dreamcast has a good video card. I play NES on my TV with just a RF cable and the colors are still more birght then the Atari 5200. I test the color with Adventure 2 since that is the most colorful game on Atari 5200 that I have seen. Now what am I saying wrong?????

ok and your point is that the nes is more vivid stock? so?

You're previous posts were becomming jumbled up and making little sense but it's when you assert yourself as the "bad guy" on/off the forum that takes the thread way off topic. This response is more on par with the topic at hand. What I wish to point out is there's more than just colors and graphical abilities that can be compared to different systems. In my opinion, a game can be characters jumping around the screen and if the mechanics can make it interesting then I'm there.

who's calling you a liar? i could really care less. i could care less if you are worshiped or disliked on the forum. as far as being the bad guy in real life, that's your issue. instead of flexing your nes and sega saturn muscles, how about contributing your knowledge (or lack there of...i dont know) on the atari forums?

Dude, you seriously need to learn to trim the quotes. Nobody should have to scroll over a page of text (that they've already read!) just to see a tiny little paragraph of response.