IGNORED

Tooth Protectors, MIB - $1,136.11

Zwackery

Is it missing half the styrofoam?

Its missing 1/2 the styrofoam and the band that goes over the styrofoam.

I think having the shipping box kinda makes up for having half the foam missing IMHO.

The box is nice to have but if it was complete without a box only Marco would feel it was missing something. It could stand on it own.

When I saw this auction it just felt incomplete. If I bought it I'd either try and buy the missing parts or break it up and sell the pieces. I couldn't keep it like it is.

I think having the shipping box kinda makes up for having half the foam missing IMHO.

The box is nice to have but if it was complete without a box only Marco would feel it was missing something. It could stand on it own.

When I saw this auction it just felt incomplete. If I bought it I'd either try and buy the missing parts or break it up and sell the pieces. I couldn't keep it like it is.

So you would actually sell the one piece of styrofoam. Ironically enough this would probably be the most expensive piece of styrofoam ever sold on Ebay. And I am sure that late night comedians would have a field day with that one, if it ever garnered their attention. ;)

LOL, if a strip and piece of styrofoam make something incomplete, then I dunno. You would think everyone needs any poster (those Now You're Playing with Power) that comes with many NES games...

In that type of shape, considering the last one went for $2000+, a strip and piece of cardboard are not worth $900, AND this has the shipping box. I went after this because of the paperwork. I know the manual is not that big of a deal, but the little piece of paper with the TOoth Protector was to me...I like shipping boxes for this type of stuff for some reason....

LOL, if a strip and piece of styrofoam make something incomplete, then I dunno. You would think everyone needs any poster (those Now You're Playing with Power) that comes with many NES games...

In that type of shape, considering the last one went for $2000+, a strip and piece of cardboard are not worth $900, AND this has the shipping box. I went after this because of the paperwork. I know the manual is not that big of a deal, but the little piece of paper with the TOoth Protector was to me...I like shipping boxes for this type of stuff for some reason....

I'd say the band and both pieces of styrofoam are worth 900+ One half of the styrofoam is only worth something if you find the other half. The shipping box is nice but honestly I'd rather have a copy that looks like the one in the CPUwiz picture that is missing the box than one missing the band and a piece of styro.

I'd say the band and both pieces of styrofoam are worth 900+ One half of the styrofoam is only worth something if you find the other half. The shipping box is nice but honestly I'd rather have a copy that looks like the one in the CPUwiz picture that is missing the box than one missing the band and a piece of styro.

Only Atari 2600 collectors would argue over which is better. A shipping box or a piece of of Styrofoam with a band. ;)

$900? Bah! Dream, I'll sell you a piece of repro styrofoam and these jokers will never know the difference. In fact, I'll give it to you at the discount price of only $300...and I'll even include a free tube of toothpaste! =p

$900? Bah! Dream, I'll sell you a piece of repro styrofoam and these jokers will never know the difference. In fact, I'll give it to you at the discount price of only $300...and I'll even include a free tube of toothpaste! =p

Well the carts worth what $100?

This other junk is worth something to someone.

Well the carts worth what $100?

This other junk is worth something to someone.

More like $71.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=220157904499

You forgot about the $5.60 shipping and handling which makes the total price tag to $76.60. But still that is pretty low for the condition the label is in. Personally I am amazed that super rare loose games like this have actually gone down in value the past 6 years. And the sad thing is I am not taking inflation into consideration when I say something like that. In fact strangely enough if this included the instruction label he probably could get $150. Making this the first Atari 2600 game where the instructions are actually worth more than the game. Also, people into the styro can't even claim it is because of the box art. Fact is that the styro with the band is not that aesthetically pleasing. Though I have to admit it is pretty rare. But still, it is not rare enough to get more than 10 times the value of the lose cart. The only Boxed Atari 2600 game IMO that deserves more than 10 times the loose value is Music Machine.

Edit. Also I am not saying that Tooth protectors with Styro should be $760. I am just saying the loose cart should be at least worth 10 percent of what the cart with Styro gets.

Edited by homerwannabee

You forgot about the $5.60 shipping and handling which makes the total price tag to $76.60. But still that is pretty low for the condition the label is in.

Edit. Also I am not saying that Tooth protectors with Styro should be $760. I am just saying the loose cart should be at least worth 10 percent of what the cart with Styro gets.

Well, to tell you the truth, I almost bid on this one but decided not to...if I had, it would have gone for a bit more and not have been so much of a bargain.

I guess that's the difference one bidder makes.

You forgot about the $5.60 shipping and handling which makes the total price tag to $76.60.

Well, I didn't include s/h in the final value of Tooth Protectors if you want to get moronically picky about things. :roll:

The reason I didn't, since I can not comment on if/how the s/h charge impacted either bidding situation (and neither can you with any certainty), is that I reported the final value as eBay sees it for their billing purposes (and since this is not one of those $1 for item, $99 for shipping auctions, the s/h cost is negligible in terms of the final price).

Personally I am amazed that super rare loose games like this have actually gone down in value the past 6 years.

Why? Many people on AA have commented on the downturn in most loose cartridge prices, and if you've been watching values for 6 years, this shouldn't be amazing.

In fact strangely enough if this included the instruction label he probably could get $150. Making this the first Atari 2600 game where the instructions are actually worth more than the game.

That is quite simply and plainly wrong. A number of the rarer titles have, or have had, times when the instructions are worth more than the game. While more people tended to pitch the boxes and keep the manuals, plenty of manuals still got pitched, making them more valuable (in terms of money that people are willing to pay) than the carts themselves. For example, the price on silver label Gravitar had been going down for awhile (I got mine for $17 a year or so ago, it has since risen somewhat), as more loose copies were turning up, while not many manuals were being seen, so the manual commanded more dollar value than the loose cart. I've seen a fair number of loose SQ: WW showing up on eBay, and the price has been driven down, but when the manual, comic, and other printed material is involved, it fairly doubles the value or increases it more, indicating that the printed material is at least on parity with, and sometimes exceeding the value of, the cart. Again, this situation tends to happen most readily with a certain group of rare carts, but Tooth Protectors is not the first 2600 game where the instructions are worth more than the cart.

I'm not going to address the rest of your supposition and speculation in your posting, but I sincerely wish you would think more before you start writing.

You forgot about the $5.60 shipping and handling which makes the total price tag to $76.60.

Well, I didn't include s/h in the final value of Tooth Protectors if you want to get moronically picky about things. :roll:

The reason I didn't, since I can not comment on if/how the s/h charge impacted either bidding situation (and neither can you with any certainty), is that I reported the final value as eBay sees it for their billing purposes (and since this is not one of those $1 for item, $99 for shipping auctions, the s/h cost is negligible in terms of the final price).

Personally I am amazed that super rare loose games like this have actually gone down in value the past 6 years.

Why? Many people on AA have commented on the downturn in most loose cartridge prices, and if you've been watching values for 6 years, this shouldn't be amazing.

In fact strangely enough if this included the instruction label he probably could get $150. Making this the first Atari 2600 game where the instructions are actually worth more than the game.

That is quite simply and plainly wrong. A number of the rarer titles have, or have had, times when the instructions are worth more than the game. While more people tended to pitch the boxes and keep the manuals, plenty of manuals still got pitched, making them more valuable (in terms of money that people are willing to pay) than the carts themselves. For example, the price on silver label Gravitar had been going down for awhile (I got mine for $17 a year or so ago, it has since risen somewhat), as more loose copies were turning up, while not many manuals were being seen, so the manual commanded more dollar value than the loose cart. I've seen a fair number of loose SQ: WW showing up on eBay, and the price has been driven down, but when the manual, comic, and other printed material is involved, it fairly doubles the value or increases it more, indicating that the printed material is at least on parity with, and sometimes exceeding the value of, the cart. Again, this situation tends to happen most readily with a certain group of rare carts, but Tooth Protectors is not the first 2600 game where the instructions are worth more than the cart.

I'm not going to address the rest of your supposition and speculation in your posting, but I sincerely wish you would think more before you start writing.

Ok, sure the manual is worth more than the game. If that is the case I have a loose Video Life manual that I am willing to let go for $2,000. :P Oh, and by way thanks for the compliment of saying I don't think before I post.

Edit: Also, the reason I am amazed at the downward turn is the mere fact that I have searched swap meet after swap meet. Yard sale after yard sale. I have constantly done this for the past 6 years. Do you know the rarest Atari 2600 game I have found in the wild is? Yep, that's right a rarity six. Then I look and I see some rarity 7 games go for as low as $15. See this is my problem. The fact that I have spent over a 1,000 hours of my time looking for rare games and I might be lucky to find a rarity 7 game. When you think about the time and effort to find one of the super rare Atari 2600 games even lose than it becomes surprising that they are still going down in price.

Edited by homerwannabee

I'm going to be happy with my silly old shipping box. Right next to the Cubicolor shipping box.

Ok, sure the manual is worth more than the game. If that is the case I have a loose Video Life manual that I am willing to let go for $2,000. :P Oh, and by way thanks for the compliment of saying I don't think before I post.

Edit: Also, the reason I am amazed at the downward turn is the mere fact that I have searched swap meet after swap meet. Yard sale after yard sale. I have constantly done this for the past 6 years. Do you know the rarest Atari 2600 game I have found in the wild is? Yep, that's right a rarity six. Then I look and I see some rarity 7 games go for as low as $15. See this is my problem. The fact that I have spent over a 1,000 hours of my time looking for rare games and I might be lucky to find a rarity 7 game. When you think about the time and effort to find one of the super rare Atari 2600 games even lose than it becomes surprising that they are still going down in price.

I would pay more for the Spider Maze instructions than the current going rate on the cart, and its a single page sheet with typewriter typing on it...

I would pay more for the Spider Maze instructions than the current going rate on the cart, and its a single page sheet with typewriter typing on it...

All right, I guess there are a couple of games where people are willing to pay more for the instructions than the cart. To be honest I have noticed over the past six months where instructions have become more valued. This probably is mainly due to the fact that the box for some games has gotten out of some people's price range and the next best thing is the game with the instructions.

I'd pay $200 for those instructions, right now.

I'd pay $200 for those instructions, right now.

I have not seen a loose Spider Maze sell for over $200

If you look at the sentence I wrote - which you directly quoted in your reply - I state, "I wish you would think more before you start writing." You see the word more there? It modifies the word think. You are thinking when you post, but it might behoove you to think more. And to pay more attention when you read.

The rarest cart I've found in the wild is Death Trap.

If you look at the sentence I wrote - which you directly quoted in your reply - I state, "I wish you would think more before you start writing." You see the word more there? It modifies the word think. You are thinking when you post, but it might behoove you to think more. And to pay more attention when you read.

You can also listen to Pink Floyd's 'More' album and smoke 'More' brand cigarettes if you are so inclined. ;)

You're lucky...I don't think I've ever found anything above an R4.

Well, whatever. It was a put down no matter how you spin it. My guess is that you would not do so well if I said something in like manner to you. In fact I merely mentioned the shipping price should be figured in and you ripped me for that. I guess I could say to you that you should not be so reactionary. But my guess is you will reply to this with a somewhat reactionary post. Remember I used the words so and somewhat as modifiers.

Edited by homerwannabee

Awesome score DreamTR!

Once you track down the complete styrofoam and strip, not only will you have a complete set, but your shipping box will one-up all those other collectors that don't have it, yet claim to have it complete.

IMO, any "mail order only" game is way cooler when the original shipping box is present. :cool:

Edited by the 5th ghost

IMO, any "mail order only" game is way cooler when the original shipping box is present. :cool:

I'm no expert out here, but I do spend money on these games, so please take my reply with whatever amount of salt you want... I totally agree with the ghost on this one.

I agree also. If you want a box it's about as close as your ever gonna get.