IGNORED

OK, you got me on this one. (Robotron)

Jess Ragan

So, you remember how I was bitching and moaning about the 5200 version of Robotron: 2084? How the graphics were too choppy and the characters were too chunky and all that noise? Well, I went back to play the game, using two controllers rather than just one. As the poet Robert Frost might say, "it made all the difference." Two controllers makes the game five times more fun... when you're playing the game that way, all of its flaws suddenly become irrelevant. It doesn't matter that the doctor limps across the screen or that the robots are too wide or that the hulks are blue instead of green... with two controllers, the pieces all fit perfectly into place. I wouldn't say that it was better than the 7800 version, but it ranks up there as one of the better conversions of the game. I just wish I could play it with a Dual Shock or some other, more compact controller... having to futz with two sticks is kind of a pain in the rump!

I dont remember you bitching about it, but if I did, I would have certainly called you on it. Robotron for the 5200 is an awesome conversion of the arcade. Personally, I don't see THAT big a difference graphics-wise from the 7800. Sure it's not as sharp, and not quite so nearly identical as Ballblazer, but it's damn good. And any version without the use of the dual controllers imo is not worth playing. I couldn't imagine Robotron with one stick. That just ain't right man...no wonder you didn't like it before.

So, you remember how I was bitching and moaning about the 5200 version of Robotron: 2084? How the graphics were too choppy and the characters were too chunky and all that noise? Well, I went back to play the game, using two controllers rather than just one. As the poet Robert Frost might say, "it made all the difference." Two controllers makes the game five times more fun... when you're playing the game that way, all of its flaws suddenly become irrelevant. It doesn't matter that the doctor limps across the screen or that the robots are too wide or that the hulks are blue instead of green... with two controllers, the pieces all fit perfectly into place. I wouldn't say that it was better than the 7800 version, but it ranks up there as one of the better conversions of the game. I just wish I could play it with a Dual Shock or some other, more compact controller... having to futz with two sticks is kind of a pain in the rump!

I know it's not the same but isn't there one of emulator compilations for the ps or the ps2 that has robotron on it? There you could check out the playability of the analog sticks. It is Midway Arcade Treasures .

Oh, I've got the Saturn version of Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits, as well as Midway Arcade Treasures for the GameCube. I like MAGH best because it lets you screw with the machine settings. Remember how back in the 1980's, they'd have custom messages on some arcade machines, particularly at Chuck E. Cheese? YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN IN THIS COLLECTION! It frickin' rocks to have your own message in the attract mode of Robotron: 2084 and Stargate.

....I wouldn't say that it was better than the 7800 version, but it ranks up there as one of the better conversions of the game...

i would. the gameplay alone with the joysticks makes this game an instant hit. when u think back when this 1st came out, it's innovation to have added both the sticks and really set the future for analog sticks on the sony.

A friend and I used to play this one together. He manned the guns and I rescued the families from the evil robots. :D

Did you use the coupler? There is supposed to be some type of coupler to hold the sticks together for this game and Space Dungeon.

It's pretty fun in an emulator as well where you can make the second stick to the second analog.

Edited by Shannon

I avoid the standard controllers whenever possible, so I had to settle for two Wico sticks. One of the sticks "drifted," so I had to switch over to one Wico stick and a PC flightstick. That was awkward, but the game was still a lot more fun than it was with a single stick.

I avoid the standard controllers whenever possible, so I had to settle for two Wico sticks. One of the sticks "drifted," so I had to switch over to one Wico stick and a PC flightstick. That was awkward, but the game was still a lot more fun than it was with a single stick.

oh man.. don't worry about the 5200 sticks w/ Robotron. All you're using is the sticks so it still works fine and dandy. Definitely use the 5200 sticks with the coupler.

The coupler is the ONLY way to play 5200 Robotron & Space Dungeon. So break them out.. they came with the game so there's no excuse :P

let me just say that Robotron for the 5200.. yeah it's choppiness and everything is apparent now. But back in the day, it really was an awesome home port of the game, and really the best around. When you put that thing in your hypermodern 5200 and were able to play it on your tv with 2 sticks, it really was the high state of home gaming nirvana. It really really rocked. I don't know how else to describe it. :)

And no, there was no 7800 version yet. :D

Oh, I've got the Saturn version of Midway Arcade's Greatest Hits, as well as Midway Arcade Treasures for the GameCube. I like MAGH best because it lets you screw with the machine settings. Remember how back in the 1980's, they'd have custom messages on some arcade machines, particularly at Chuck E. Cheese? YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN IN THIS COLLECTION! It frickin' rocks to have your own message in the attract mode of Robotron: 2084 and Stargate.

Gotta get a Saturn MAGH!!

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's not the same but isn't there one of emulator compilations for the ps or the ps2 that has robotron on it? There you could check out the playability of the analog sticks. It is Midway Arcade Treasures .

I like the GameCube Midway Arcade Treasures as it's pretty smooth and comfortable in my opinion. Also the Saturn version is really good so don't dismiss what Jess keeps saying. ;)

A friend and I used to play this one together. He manned the guns and I rescued the families from the evil robots. :D

Did you use the coupler? There is supposed to be some type of coupler to hold the sticks together for this game and Space Dungeon.

It's pretty fun in an emulator as well where you can make the second stick to the second analog.

I got both Space Dungeon and Robotron CIB with the exception of the couplers! They came with the plastic bags and everything in each just missing that damn plastic piece which baffles the hell out of me since I got them with the system the one person owned. They must have gotten eatten up by a pet or discarded at some point, either way though I plan to eventually make my own dual-stick controller for those games.

I got both Space Dungeon and Robotron CIB with the exception of the couplers! They came with the plastic bags and everything in each just missing that damn plastic piece which baffles the hell out of me since I got them with the system the one person owned.

Those are often missing (just like the one that came with the 2600 version of Spy Hunter). I get the feeling that a lot of them ended up broken and were discarded.

As with most lives, I've suffered miseries, and enjoyed happier episodes. Somehow, the 5200 figures in at least a few of those happier episodes. And possible bad times, where the 5200 was involved, were turned around and converted in to good memories.

This is one of those - back when Space Dungeon was current, I played the hell out of it. It was one of my favorite games, and I played it constantly on the 5200. I was probably around 12 years old at the time, which would have put my brother at 9 years old. We routinely left things out (still do, as pathetic as that is), and somebody stepped on our controller coupler and broke it. If I recall correctly, nobody ever admitted to being the culprit that stepped on the coupler, and I've got no idea who left it in the middle of the floor.

What I *DO* recall, vividly, is my extreme joy and relief when my Mom somehow repaired the thing with rubber cement. For over 20 years (since the repair job) I've held my breath and been certain the pieces are going to fall apart every time a controller is inserted or removed, but as of last week the coupler is still intact, and working fine.

I wish I knew what magical spell or adhesive my Mom used, but it's still doing it's job, and I'm still enjoying Space Dungeon. 8-)