IGNORED

Atari 800 or 800XL - which is the best?

stevelanc

I'm considering getting either one of these machines - in your opinion which one is the best?

Steve

Well I would say the 800XL as it has more memory and is smaller, etc. But it does have some shortfalls. Video output is worse and it does not run older 800 software, and only has 2 joy ports. BUT you can fix the first two issues and have a perfect machine. Extra ports are not needed as most games only supported 2.

I would get a 32-in-1 OS upgrade and do the Clearpic/SuperVideo video upgrade. There is also a video upgade posted here for the 800XL that I did and it turned out great.

I would get a 32-in-1 OS upgrade and do the Clearpic/SuperVideo video upgrade. There is also a video upgade posted here for the 800XL that I did and it turned out great.

The same people that do the OS upgrade do ram upgrades, too. They have a lot of other upgrades available, too, while it's there. When I get the funds I'm sending my machine in for an overhaul like that :) for that reason I recommend the 800XL.

Nathan